George Raymo…, Real Estate Pro in Chino Hills, CA

Looking to relocate to Florida. What are the best cities or communities w/ price range $500K that can get me a waterfront or waterview. Am I dreaming?

Asked by George Raymondo, Chino Hills, CA Wed Jan 16, 2013

Answers

34
Deorge,

You are definitely not dreaming! In virtually every location, in your price range there should be water view opportunities. However, when moving to waterfront, your opportunities decrease drastically but still possible in many locations.

We would love being able to share Sarasota County opportunities with you.

Bill Eckler
941-408-5363
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
Hello George...
you can get on the water in the lower Keys for $500k. I've lived all up and down the east coast of the US and in several different Florida locations. The Keys are, by far, the best of the best (in my humble opinion). Only spot in the continental US that's never seen frost. No gators. Friendly, tolerant people. Very laid back. Lots to do and see. There are LOTS of transplants here because many people come here on vacation and never go back (literally!). The American Caribbean. Here are a few blog entries on the topic if you're interested:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2013/01/key_west_real_e…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/08/key_west_real_e…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/08/what_makes_key_…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/05/key_west_a_cult…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jim_olive/2012/05/the_two_faces_o…
George,

You can absolutely find waterfront homes in Fort Lauderdale in the price range of $500K. Plus, there are many terrific options for you to choose from.

If you would like to browse your options, here's a link to waterfront homes in Fort Lauderdale: http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/fort-lauderdale-waterf…

Let me know if you have questions about Fort Lauderdale; it's the area I specialize in helping clients buy, sell or rent great homes!

Chad Gray PA, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
754-300-6040

100% of clients rated our service as "EXCELLENT"!
http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/what-clients-are-saying/

.
George,

Having been from Jacksonville to Key West and Naples to Pensacola and most points in between I know the state very well. There are some amazing places to call home but many differences in weather, lifestyle and landscape. The best place I can point you is a brief blog I did about the Jupiter area which is one area you might consider;

http://tompriester.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/jupiter-rocks/

As a resident of Jupiter, I work throughout Palm Beach and Martin Counties, and a great place to start is by defining your goals and comparing the lifestyles and housing costs of areas that you are interested in. There are so many different options available to us that reside in the state and I have selected Jupiter because of the quality of life that we enjoy. From my viewpoint, there is no finer place to reside that the Jupiter area; from the best schools, to a fantastic economy fueled by many factors and of course the wonderful facilities of Max Planck and Scripps Institute, to incredible unspoiled beaches, unbelievable dining and shopping options, numerous boating and golf opportunities, uncrowded streets, low crime and just the overall kindness of our residents. We were out recently with a client from New York who commented on just how nice everyone is; and why not as we are truly lucky to live in Paradise.

If you are looking for something near the water there are some options just across A1A from the beach and there are some absolute fantastic deals on Jupiter Island that may be worthy of consideration. There are numerous opportunities on the island in your price range and for the ultimate upscale lifestyle values are hard to beat anywhere. In Juno Beach there are some more fantastic homes that I would be happy to send you information on. There are still some awesome deals on Oceanfront condos on Singer Island that may also be in play depending on a more complete definition of your particular needs.

I work almost entirely as a buyers agent in Palm Beach and Martin Counties and certainly would be honored to be on the list of Realtors® you interview and happy to be of assistance in any way that I can. If you are in the area and would like a tour I would enjoy showing you why I am so fortunate to call Jupiter my hometown.

I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Hi George,

Are you set on the Fort Lauderdale area? Have you considered the Tampa Bay area? The peninsula that makes up Pinellas County is surrounded by water. We have the Gulf of Mexico on the west side with some of the most beautiful sunsets and then Tampa Bay on the east side. There are also plenty of intercoastal areas that provide access to the Gulf of Mexico if you plan to have a boat.

The prices over in the Tampa Bay area aren't quite as high so you will find that you will get more for your money. Give me a call if you want me to send you some property information on some homes that fit your needs.

Joe Martino
Charles Rutenberg Realty Inc.
Clearwater, FL

727-324-3709
Florida may have long had a reputation as the sun and fun capital of the world, but ever since the economy crashed, the Sunshine State has been nowhere near full. That’s because Florida has some of the worst home vacancy rates in the country. The problem is due mostly to Florida’s economy, which was hit particularly hard by the recession. After all, this is a state that relies heavily on tourism. Since Americans have been taking fewer vacations, Florida’s economy suffered more than other states. It led to foreclosures and abandoned homes, many of which have sat vacant for years.
In Cape Coral, more than 35% of homes were vacant in 2011, and seven other Florida metros were among the nation’s worst when it came to vacancy rates. However, with the housing market starting to slowly tick back up, there may soon be an influx of new Floridians. That means homeowners here will soon be able to pull out there “welcome wagons” and get to know a whole new set of neighbors!
Hi George..

Yes I am a transplant from Maryland and Delaware. I have been here for over 15 years. At the end of the day I like waking up to palm trees and warm weather. You can get alot of bang for your buck and things are extremely accessible here .It really is a great time to buy and plenty of nice people to meet.

Jay Silverman GRI
EWM Realtors
954-661-2094
Hi George,

I am a "transplant" and have lived in Cape Coral for almost 25 years now. I was born in Kentucky and then moved to North Carolina, then to Tennessee and finally to Florida.

Give me a call at 239-707-4575 and I will be glad to discuss the Cape Coral area with you.
Thank you ALL for the great information, I am grateful and appreciate that you took to the time to respond to my question. I will be contacting a few agents in different areas to narrow it down to a few cities and start my search for homes. I am interested in a slower life style and have decided on a SFR in a town with a waterway or river access to the Sea or Gulf. I do not want to live in a major city like Miami as living in Los Angeles has never been my cup of tea.I do have one last question. Is there anyone who is a transplant from another state? I would love to hear the differences in Florida versus another state. Here is CA we do not have Gators, Mosquitoes, Hurricanes, or Humidity. I have the beach, skiing and the desert all within 1 hours drive. The home prices are ridiculous here and the state taxes are one of the highest in the US, not to mention that we are now dead last in how the state handles it finances. But I still feel I will be giving us much moving out of state. I just thought FL would be the closest to CA in many ways. I would love to know the good, bad and the ugly i.e.

1.) Are people generally friendly or standoffish?
2.) Is the Real Estate Market coming back?
3.) Are there areas that are better than others regarding the weather and natural disasters?
4.) Other than no State income tax, did someone find it advantageous moving to Florida?
Hi George,
I moved to Cape Coral from outside DC in 2003. The big city and traffic was just too much. We love it here in the Cape. It's very laid back and lots of friendly people. This area is unique with the Gulf access properties. With Gulf access homes you have different price points. Most of the very wealthy here you would never know, its flip flops and shorts. We are also very safe as far as hurricanes. When Charlie came through in 2004 it hit our barrier Islands Sanibel and Captiva then went north to Punta Gorda. We have some of the best beaches Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Myers beach and Lovers Key. The real estate market is coming back and doing really well. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail or give me a call. I would be happy to explain the area.
Have a great day,
Nancy
Flag Thu Jan 17, 2013
Absolutely not you are not dreaming. You can definitely get waterfront and waterviews for under $500,000 here in South Florida. Even with dockage for your boat if you like!

Jay Silverman GRI
EWM Realtors
954-661-2094
Good Evening George!

Florida is a beautiful place with a relaxed atmosphere. The best would be Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale or Delray Beach. You can absolutely get an amazing Waterfront View in These cities. I have exclusive places on the beach. Wake up every morning to an oceanview on one side and the Intracoastal on the other...Sometimes it feels like living in a dream world-In a good way!

I know many canal front single family homes in Ft. lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Boca Raton or delray where you can have a large yard, Big private dock and unobstructed access to the ocean by boat. You will not have any monthly fees or dockage fees in a single family and you can have as many pets or guests as you like in private. If you find a good deal which Im sure you can youll have plenty left over for a new boat too! South Florida is all about the lifestyle. Living by the water among beautiful happy people...

In the end no one can really tell you what makes you happy..A peaceful remote location, a beachfront condo, a downtown loft. In your price there is a possibility to have each within reason on the water. I hope that you will travel around Floridas coastline and decide for yourself where you are comfortable living. If You choose anywhere in Palm Beach, Dade or Broward County Please call me so I can assist you in your search or suggest some good venues.

Laura L. Schweikert
Charles Rutenberg Realty, LLC
E-mail: liveluxefl@gmail.com
Web: http://liveluxefl.com
No you are not dreaming, but you will have be be patient and work with a good Realtor. It may take awhile to find your Dream, but they do come along.

Regards

Bill Hilton , MBA
The Keyes Company
Boca Blue Lake
561-789-6846
BillHilton@Keyes.com
If you're looking for single family waterfront homes in south Florida then your chances are slim-- not impossible, because there were about 20 homes available between Hobe Sound and Miami --but your choices will be very limited with price ceiling of approx $500,000.

However, you will find several dozen water view condos in south Florida for well under $500,000, and you will be able to live in almost any city you choose along the east coast of Florida. The views from these south Florida condos are typically of the ocean and / or the Intracoastal.

Your most difficult decision will be deciding which city you'd like to live in. As a real estate agent in Boca Raton, I am partial to that city, and there are Boca condos available starting in the high $200,000s and working their way up, depending upon age, condition, and of course, location, that may give you what you are looking for.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
Easy to do in Cape Coral, FL. Some even in Fort Myers. I would be happy to send you some listings.
Give me a call or email with more specifics.
Marge Bennett
RE/MAX Realty Group
239-560-4159
Marge@MargeBennett.com
http://www.SouthFortMyersDreamHomes.com
Hello George;

$500K will enable you to purchase both an Ocean Front Condo and a home overlooking the intra- coastal waterway with perhaps one fixed bridge. The size of the home and the condo will depend on the property’s proximity away from the ocean. If a condo is your style of living, the Galt Ocean Mile has many complexes with units specializing in direct ocean front views. If being close to downtown yet still having a waterfront view is more suitable than being close to Las Olas Blvd would be better. If owning a home with a inter-coastal view is what you’re looking for than Coral Ridge would be your best bet. I’ve lived in Ft. Lauderdale, which I believe is the best place to live in South Florida, for many years and it’s a happening place with lots to do and see. If you’d like even more information about properties here in town, kindly fill out the link below and submit it back to me.
Joe Roman (R)
ERA Herman Group Real Estate
Aventura Corporate Center
20803 Biscayne Blvd. # 303
Aventura Fl. 33180
Cell 954-557-3416 Office: 305-556-1111
Fax 305-556--6225
eMail josephwroman@gmail.com

Web: http://WWW.REALESTATEINSOUTHFLA.COM
http://josephroman.southfloridamls.com/?Page=566807
Hi George,

No, you're not dreaming. It all depends on what part of Florida you are relocating to. The tri county area of Palm Beach, Broward and Miami Dade counties in my opinion are the best in all of Florida. If your talking the Broward County, Fort Lauderdale area $500K would get you a beautiful condo directly on the ocean. If you prefer a house, it would have to be on a canal further away from the beach but possible to access the ocean by boat if you are a boater. There are numerous possibilities, Please contact me if you would like additional information.

I hope I was able to Help, Thanks!!
Hi George:

There are so many great things about southeast Florida. We have great weather, beautiful beaches, entertainment, fabulous restaurants, fishing, boating, golfing, etc. And, if you like to travel there are three international airports all within an hour of each other. If you are looking for an oceanfront condo then there are plenty of great choices in your price range. If you are looking for a house it might be an older house that needs a little updating. I am a full time top producing agent here in Ft. Lauderdale and I would love to talk with you about properties that might be of interest to you and about living in southeast Florida. I have been here since 1984 and I don't want to live any place else.

Barbara Easton-Irvin
Atlantic Properties International
954-740-7855
Floridaliving4U@yahoo.com

Check out my website at http://www.Floridaliving4U.net
George,

Finding you something with water views at the 1/2 million mark wont be a problem but to tell you what are the best cities in Florida, that will be hard to determine.

Your question states "Looking to relocate to Florida", therefore, you are opened to anywhere in Florida. People usually settle in an area that they think is the best one for them, Florida is mostly populated everywhere; so, people who live in Panama city (NW Florida) think it is the best place to live in FL, the same goes to all city residents, wherever they live is the best city.

The west coast of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico (from the Panhandle to Marco Island) offers the most beautiful white and wide sandy beaches. However, the cities are quainter and more suited for retirees who want a quiet life or families who are more homestead people. The northeast coast of Florida down to West Palm Beach also is for a quiet retiree of familial residential living but the beaches are narrower, though. From West Palm Beach down to Miami, the population is much more dense, (driving on US1 from West Palm Beach down to South Miami is like one big city (you need to read the street sign to know that you are leaving a city and entering another) but in that corner of Florida is where all the actions take place. It's like living in Manhattan with everything energized by the sun and the beaches. Southeast Florida is for people who are active and energetic and on the go all the time. However, the Tampa Bay area (mid west coast of Florida) and Orlando (mid and center of Florida) are huge energetic cities, also.

You need to decide what kind of lifestyle you want. When you have narrowed your location within the state of Florida, then you can inquire about cities and their neighborhoods based on your $500K purchasing price. And William Hundridge (below) is right, $500K won't buy you directly on the ocean anywhere in Florida but it will get you a house on water (canals) near the ocean.

I hope that helps you. If you chose to settle in SE Florida, call me, anytime.
Hi George! Plenty of great places to call home in the tri-county (Miami - Broward - Palm Beach) area. All depends on what YOU like and what is important to YOU: boating, golfing, horse riding, best schools, proximity to "happening places", etc. Please feel free to call /e-mail me at any time with any questions and to discuss your options.
954-673-1624 / maru72@bellsouth.net
Hi George,

My name is Richard Salter of Salter owner/broker of Salter Realty and Investments based in Fort Lauderdale. We are a full service real estate company offering exemplary service to mostly buyers of homes or condos in the east Fort Lauderdale area. I have been a resident here in Broward county for 20 years but have lived or travelled to most areas of the state. I firmly believe that SE Florida is the best option when choosing a place to reside in the state when considering factors such as : climate, culture, diversity, dining, entetainment, sports etc ,etc.

As for affordability of a waterfront property in this area there are certainly many different options for you to consider. If you are looking for a single family home then the best home you could purchase would be something like a 3/2 with garage and pool on a canal with a fixed brdige that feeds in to the Intracoastal waterway and ocean. It would be just 2-3 miles from the beach or a 5-10 minute drive. Alternatively you could afford an oceanfront 2 or 3 br condo that is updated with direct ocean views. If you would like for me to send you options of these types of properties that are currently listed on the market please contact me anytime.

Richard Salter
Salter Realty
954-812-4801
r.salter@salterrealty.com
http://www.salterrealty.com
George,

You can see by all the answers here that you are certainly not dreaming!

Should you decide to make your dream a reality, you will need to first decide on the following.

* Location.....Florida is a very large peninsula, so you will have to decide what type of environment you are looking for. Florida offers a wide range of choices, from a sleepy coastal town to the hustle and bustle of Miami, and everywhere in between.

* Type of property...condo, townhouse, single family. What type of amenities are you looking for?

* What type of waterfront? Ocean, gulf, lake, intracoastal, etc.

With prices still very affordable, Florida is a top destination. So, begin your research on the different places that you would consider...east coast, west coast, north or south.

You have come to the right place for lots of good information!

Best of luck to you!
Stefanie Cohen, PA, ABR, SFR
Prudential Florida Realty
Spell check... I meant Gulf Coast!
Plenty of options here on the Gulf Coarse too... Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita?
Email me if you would like my assistance: kathygambino@hotmail.com.
Good afternoon George. There are a lot of option with that price point. Now the question is, what do you want. Condo/Home? How many bedrooms? Your choices are bountiful and they are up to you. Yes, we have switched from a declining market towards a sellers market, but now is a great time for you to do your looking. This is the priciest time of the year in the beachfront communities since it is season with the most amount of buyers, however, the right property is out there and still at a good price.
Let me know if I can assist and I will send you some options for you to view.
Respectfully,
Jeff Alan Kahn PhD
Century 21 Hanen and the Beaches
Greater Fort Lauderdale Florida
jeff@jeffkahn.com
954-445-6307
George,

A very realistic view of what $500k is going to purchase should be your first priority. It will not buy ocean or intracoastal frontage. These usually start at $1mil and up. What you can expect is canal frontage or lake views. There are numerous communities that have stunning grounds and waterviews up and down the coast; even new construction. It's all a matter of stating your wish list and finding the location that best suits you.

I would be more than happy to take that journey with you and offer my assistance. Please contact me at any time.

Bill Hungridge, LLC SFR
Keller Williams Realty Professionals
954-646-4044
http://www.BillHungridge.com
Hi George,

Per your question on Trulia > Looking to relocate to Florida. What are the best cities or communities w/ price range $500K that can get me a waterfront or waterview. Am I dreaming?

As a Relocation Specialist, assisting you to a successful outcome is my goal.

Contact me 'Lynne Knapp' (954) 647-5335 Cellular, or email me the best number and time to call you to chat!

Lynne Knapp, Realtor
ReMax Consultants Realty 1
Ft Lauderdale FL
LynneKnapp@aol.com
http://LynneKnapp.com
http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
Web Reference: http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
The only smart place to settle is Fort Lauderdale and NE Broward County. First, we have the best water. Second, we have the most dynamic market. You can save money going to the west coast, or up the east coast some, but these markets have been crushed and will take more time to recover, where Fort Lauderdale is already back on track. The West Coast is on the Gulf, which is not like being on the ocean, with reefs and lots of sea life, not to mention the Gulfstream. And farther North along the East Coast the Gulfstream curves out into the Atlantic, which changes the climate, and the ocean. In addition there are tons of restaurants and things to do in SE Florida. You live on the West Coast, further up the East Coast, you're in a sleepy, boring town with 3 restaurants you tire of quickly.

Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, Deerfield, Boca, Delray, Boynton. If you don't buy a place in one of these locations you will regret it.
Hello George,
We cover Broward County and 500k will buy you a very nice property, regardless.
However, IF you were looking for a single home on the Ocean, I'd say you were dreaming.
Therefore, it is important (in order to answer your question) to know what do YOU consider Waterfront (canal/lake/ocean/intra-coastal waterways....)? How many bedrooms are you looking for? What type of property do you want: condo/townhouse/villa/single (detached) house....?

With enthusiasm,

Meir Aloni & Team

CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)

RECS (Real Estate Cyberspace Society)

Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!

Direct phone# 954-338-5220 http://www.WeSellBroward.com

All Star Realty Inc.
Hi George,
No you are not dreaming. There are various areas here in Southwest Florida that can offer that for less. It depends on what you are looking for. Are you a boater? If so, I would recommend Cape Coral with its unique miles of Gulf access canals. They give you access to many of our wonderful beaches and Islands. If you would like more information on the area, I would be happy to help.
nancy.doyle1@comcast.net
239-209-2237

Have a great day,
Nancy
-
As a FLORIDA Mortgage Broker, I don't have a dog in this hunt as I do loans all over the State and I'm also a FL native, so I can give you info that you may not hear from others who pitch their sales area.

See program # 9 at http://www.pro-option.com and call me at 888-662-4404

----
Good afternoon George,

Southeast Florida is a lovely area and you can definitely get a wonderful property in that price range. In Fort Lauderdale you are close to the hustle and bustle of Miami but with a more laid back atmosphere. Both Miami and West Palm Beach are short drives away. You have access to three major international airports, great dining, entertainment and beautiful weather.

I have worked with many clients who relocated to Florida. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about what you are looking for and when you are planning to make the move. I can then send you listings that match your criteria to give you an idea of what we have for sale here.

Please feel free to call, text, or email me any time, day or night.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kate Stout
kmstout@gmail.com
954.895.6939

Castelli Fort Lauderdale Real Estate Services
3908 N. Ocean Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
Hello

No you are not dreaming lol!

There are some lovely waterside communities in south Florida. Please contact me if you would like to discuss your options more in depth.

Also you can search all the local listings on my website- http://www.floridamoves.com/patricia.varley

Pat Varley
Coldwell Banker
954 397 4329
At $500K, you can find a waterview just about everywhere in the state. However, what you will get will vary quite a bit - a swanky condo in downtown Miami to a large house in a less urban area. Also consider whether you want ocean, canal or lake view, and what level of hurricane risk you want to tolerate
Cape Coral, FL is known for its waterfront property. With over 400 miles of canals you won't find an area with more waterfront opportunities. With a range of up to 500k you can purchase an amazing property on the water here.

Give me a call or email me if you would like more information on the area.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE / American Brokers Realty Group
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
phone: 239-707-4575