Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

May, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Looking to relocate from NY to Northwest Area. What do I do first?? Any Realtor experienced with people relocating from far??

Asked by May, New York, NY Thu Feb 28, 2013

Hello, My parents have lived in Houston since 9/11 and I am now looking to join them with my family. I would love to be near them ( 249 by 8 ) but DO NOT like those cookie cutter homes. I'm looking for an older home 70's or 80's that has been upgraded. Also will we have more trouble securing a loan still residing out of state? Should we rent first for 2 years to establish employment and then buy??

Answers

17
Carolyn Wolfe’s answer
That area is full of really great unique neighborhoods that have good area schools.
My office is on Grant Rd right off of 249 just north of Beltway 8.
I have been helping folks relocate here for a long time, and have even secured rentals for folks sight unseen and they have been happy! (thank goodness!)

Lakewood Forest is good, Longwood is a little newer in the 90's, and Norchester has some pretty unique properties, too.

Just across 249 in KleinISD/Spring you have Champions Forest and my favorite, Memorial Northwest.

All of these areas have decent rentals popping up from time to time, but rents are going up and if you really like an area and can make a downpayment on a house, your mortgage will be less than rent.

Check out my website and send me a messege, I am working with 2 different local lenders who do a great job working with folks on-line or on the phone, its up to you!
Carolyn, I am a New Home Specialist and I live and work in the Cypress NW houston area. I am with Fannig Realty,Formerly a CEO of a homebuilding company here, and a Dave Ramsey P
referred Realtor in the Houston area. I have a thouough knowledge of the business and the area you are looking. I would love to help
Hello May,

I can easily say that you should look in Lakewood Forest. We live there and the homes are NOT cookie cutters and you will be amazed at what you can get for the money. I know of a house that is not on the market yet that will be a really good value. I also have a mortgage originator's license and can tell you that being out of state is not a problem. Its really not WHERE you are employed so much as that you are employed. Contact me and I can work on that end of it as well as help you find your perfect home:

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
http://www.yournewhomehouston.com
arnold@yournewhomehouston.com
713-396-2017
First thing to do is call me to help you find your new place whether it is to rent or buy. You want to pay 20% more at a higher interest rate go ahead and wait 2 years, I own 2 houses in that area and have no interest in selling at present the way prices are appreciating. Be cautious of flood areas many improvements have been done to correct flooding problem in past years what a pain to go through with rising water in your home. Watch out for the correct school district makes big difference in price and appreciation when you are ready to sell in the future.
Hello May, I see that you have some great feedback on your question.

Researching homes that are to your specification will fall in place, however, having all your mortgage questions answered first, will help you make your decision about renting or buying a lot easier, knowing where you stand. A lot of folks I've helped that moved into Houston usually prefer to rent at least 6 months to a year, to get to know the general area. It also gives you an opportunity to look closely at your area amenities, schools, commute accessibility, etc..

Depending on your budget, and your specifications, you should be able to get a pretty good selection. If you should decide later that you would like to move into a newly built home, some builders will work to semi-customize your home. It all depends on what you really want in your home.

You are already on the right track researching this, and I am quite sure you will be able to find some good answers once you speak to a lender. If you need some loan references, I will be happy to send you some names.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
May,

I have been assisting relocating families into Houston for 20 years. Not a bad idea to rent for a year or so to get to know the areas a little better (we can help you with that too). Establishing employment is more of a lender question. You can always get pre-approved for a loan, even before you make the move from New York. Your price range might have a role in what areas you will be looking for your next home.

The area your asking about is known as "Champions" because of the Champions Country Club off of FM 1960. Very nice area of town. I can send you a relocation packet full of information about Houston and tips regarding your future move. I work in this area of NW Houston. Send us a note if we can be of help.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Hi Mark, We would love a packet thanks! As far as range I would like to stay at 250 or even below. Do not want to be overwhelmed by too much house, and I have seen houses we like for far below the price. I will take a look at your site
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
I would first look to school rating,if you have children, then location and proximity to job destination. As Houston is one of the best cities to reside in, we also have an unpredictable traffic flow because of our population, so a timely route to a job destination should be expected. As a primary homestead most lenders would like to see the first incoming paycheck as part of their loan approval requirements, but as a secondary investment home, a 20-30% down payment with existing jobs may suffice. Furthermore, it is the right time to buy, this could be a lucrative investment/income earner for you at the time you decide to make your final move. Rentals are great, but honestly we want everyone to live the American Dream and be a homeowner. The NW area of Houston is becoming a great relocation area as the growth is starting to fly. With a VA Hospital in Tomball, the Baker-Hughes Facility, expansion on FM2920, and possible future railway stop, come and be a part of our beautiful NW Houston. We would love to have you all! Please call me with any more questions. Jojo. Have a Blessed Day!
Hi Jojo! Glad you mentioned the school rating!! That is actually the first thing I look at when searching homes on Trulia. School grade is TOPS in my must haves. My spouse works for a company that offers relocation so he would be working in the area I mentioned.
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
Hello May,

If you are in need of anymore assistance, I have a wonderful Relocation Specialist that will be more than happy to serve.

Best wishes and welcome to Houston, Texas,

CasSaundra Johnson,
Coldwell Banker, United Realtors
(281)797-3170
You can get financing for a primary residence if you still reside out of state but have found employment in Texas. If you need a local lender or have any questions about a home loan, please feel free to contact me. -Anna Maria

Anna Maria Durr, NMLS 266699, TREC 596662
Codemark Financial, 2626 Richmond Ave., Houston, Texas 77098
281-592-0667, anna@codemarkfinancial.com
If your parents live here in Houston and you would like to live close to them 249/belt 8 area is a very nice area to live in. There you can also fine homes build in the 70"s and 80's at a good price. Renting for 2 years would be money you can use in your new place.
If you are relocating with a job you should not have any problem with a loan.
If you are not relocating with a job, my best advice is to get a job in the same field that you had work in the last 2 years
Please let me know if I can help
Dee Merced
Remax 360
713-444-9905
Diana@dmerced.com
Hi Diana, My husband works for a large company so he would just have to ask for a transfer, I on the other hand work for a privately owned business so will be looking for new employment when we move. I have better more established credit than he does so I think I would be taking out the loan, though I dont really know how it works in TX. I have been in the same field for over 5 years now and plan to continue. We will be visiting soon to look around on our own and will keep you in mind thanks!
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
I relocated to houston in 2009 from Michigan so I know all the question you may have.
Cedric McGrew
MPI Real Estate Group
832-541-7744
Hi May,

We work with relocation buyers and would be happy to help you! Message or email us your info and and one of our Buyer Specialists can recommend neighborhoods and answer all of your questions (no obligation). Our Buyer Specialists are experts in the greater Houston area and in the home buying process in general.

We also work with a couple of GREAT lenders who would be happy to answer any of your mortgage questions. Rates are so low right now that it is a GREAT time to buy.

Let us know how we can help you!

The Loken Group
jennifer@thelokengroup.com
281-861-4624
Hello May,

I would be more than happy to assist you with moving to Houston. I know where all of the best neighborhoods are. I live right at Beltway 8 and 249. That is my area where I specialize in. If you would feel more comfortable leasing a home first, I would be more than happy to help you with that as well. But, with rates as low as they are right now, I would take advantage of them. In the next year or two, interest rates won't be this low. I have many loan officers that can help you get a loan and there is also the "owner financing" option. Just give me a call or send me an email and I will immediately get to work for you.

Have a great day!
A realtor will not be able to tell you if you will have a problem securing a loan, you will need to contact a loan specialist for that. There are many factors that go into getting qualified for a loan. If you are able to qualify, I am absolutely able to help you find a home to purchase. There are many neighborhoods in the NW area that have older homes that will not look like cookie cutter homes. If you are unable to purchase right away, no worries!! I can help you find a rental until you are able to purchase! I help many people relocating from out of state! I have been an agent in Houston for 9 years and have lived here my whole life!! I would absolutely love to help you guys! Please contact me, the contact info is below. I look forward to helping you guys!

Diane Schrakamp
Total Real Estate Services
832-620-6304
Dschrakamp@gmail.com
Hi, I am almost positive I will not have problems with the loan as far as credit and down payment is concerned. I monitor all 3 credit reports and scores monthly and am in the high, almost 700, 600's. I am more concerned with the fact that we are relocating and how that may affect a loan. We will be visiting soon and will keep our options open. Thanks!
Flag Thu Feb 28, 2013
I have helped dozens of buyers relocating to the Houston area. And I live near 249 and BW 8. I would be happy to assist you, as well. Please feel free to contact me at 713-530-4098.