AshburnBuyer, Home Buyer in 20148

Looking to purchase a single family home in Ashburn, VA who is responsible for paying the Grantor's tax?.. isn't it typically the seller?

Asked by AshburnBuyer, 20148 Sun Dec 11, 2011

I found the following in the internet: " Grantor's Tax= $1.00 per thousand, typically paid by seller "

Answers

10
It is just as Cindy explains. If you are hoping to make a purchase soon and want to understand the costs, I suggest you start by finding a REALTOR you like and then calling a lender they recommend. The lender should give you an estimate of all costs involved in the purchase. (No contract is needed to get this ballpark estimate.) Once you find a home you like and are considering writing an offer, go back to the lender to get an updated estimate based on the specific home you are considering plus the offer you are considering writing. From there, you present and negotiate the offer. The REALTOR is going to ensure that you understand your contract, and especially anything that varies from what your lender told you to expect (that is, of course, that your REALTOR gets a copy of the estimate from the lender). If you are not working with anyone, I would love to put you in touch with a lender. I have a few that I completely trust.... and I regularly work the Ashburn area, so I would be glad to assist you. 703-669-3142 vchrisner@Kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 11, 2011
Yes it is typically the seller that pays the State Grantor's tax. However anything is negotiable in a contract.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 11, 2011
Grantors Tax is generally a seller expense on the HUD, however in new construction it can and is sometimes included as a purchaser/borrower cost. Its a good idea to work with someone with new construction experience if you are looking in that direction. It does not cost you anything and often, new construction purchasers think the sales person that sits in the sales office represents their best interest....not the case, they strictly represent the builder.

So why would anyone ever go into a new construction transaction unrepresented?

I have 25 years in the new construction business in my past life...enough said.
Dan Ritchey
703-999-0167
Yes, grantor's tax is paid by the seller at $1 per $1000 of sales price. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you an Estimated Costs of Settlement Sheet for the buyer at no obligation. It can be a guide for you in your home search. Please email or call if you would like me to send it today. Looking forward to hearing back...

Meredith Coughlin
Re/Max Gateway
Phn: 703-403-5665
Fax: 703-483-3541
http://www.MeredithSells.biz
NVAR Multi-Million Dollar Sales Club
Yes, grantor's tax is typically paid by the seller. However, be extremely careful when purchasing a new construction property. They usually include grantor's tax as a "paid by purchaser" fee.

If you have any additonal questions, please contact me at eric@e4realty.com or 540.454.1551...thanks!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 11, 2011
Hello Menehune,

There is NO federal or state law that specifically requires the buyer or the seller to pay the Grantor's tax - real estate contract is negotiable, which makes the contract adoptable to nearly any situation as long as it is legal.

Yes, typically it is the seller who pays the Grantor's tax - especially in the Buyer's market :-)

However, even in the Buyer's market, imagine that you have found a home that you absolutely love and want to purchase - for whatever reason: great location, floor plan, good value, terrific fixer-upper, close to your aunt Suzie, etc - but the seller has barely enough money to pay off the mortgage in order to avoid the short sale ..... the buyer may be willing to pay the Grantor's tax for the seller just to make the sale happen.

Real estate contract is negotiable which makes it a VERY beautiful instrument :-)

Vivianne Rutkowski
540-229-5429
Yes, you are correct. The granters tax is typically paid by the seller and is $1.00 per every thousand. On the purchase of new construction (as Nancy said), they typically make the buyer pay grantors tax. As a buyer your costs associated with buying a home would be "closing costs". I tell my clients to expect a total upwards of 3% of the sales price toward closing costs. I would be happy to review a HUD 1(a settlement statement showing a breakdown of all your costs) with you.

Below is a basic overview of fees associated with purchasing a property that would total approximately 3%.

Lender associated fees: loan origination fees, points, appraisal fees, credit report, flood certification, mortgage insurance premium and homeowners insurance.

Government: city, state, local taxes, recording fees and grantors tax.

Settlement fees: title insurance (owners and lenders), settlement fee, release fee, document fee and attorney fees.

Give me a buzz when you would like to review in detail.

Joe Doman
REMAX Gateway
703-929-5716
joe@joeknowsva.com
http://www.joeknowsva.com
Web Reference: http://www.joeknowsva.com
Good Morning,

The Grantor's (Seller) Tax as stated here now several times is the seller's line item cost in a resale home settlement. New construction purchases are the opposite, the buyer pays.

Setting up an appointment to review all purchaser's costs is advisable. We have an in-house lender that can also assist you with any additional questions. My office is in Ashburn and I have lived and raised my family in Ashburn. It would be a pleasure to assist you with your home search.

Warmest Regards,

PJ

PJ Riner
703-606-1878
pjriner@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://pjriner.com
The grantor is the seller and usually that tax IS paid by the seller. In resale transactions, the seller does pay that. When you are buying new construction, it's different. Usually in the contract you signed when buying a new home, the buyer is required to pay the grantors tax.

Please contact me should you need additional help.
Hello Menehune40 ,

Thank you for your post. Yes, it is typically the seller that pays the grantor's tax.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about the homebuying process.

Sincerely, Yvonne
Web Reference: http://www.Move2Nova.com