Home Buying in 11375>Question Details

Shelly, Home Buyer in Forest Hills, NY

Looking to purchase a co-op in Forest Hills. I'm pre-approved but running into snags finding the perfect place....

Asked by Shelly, Forest Hills, NY Fri Oct 14, 2011

Am finding it next to impossible to find a cat-friendly building in Forest Hills. It has been "suggested" that I sneak my cat in because most buildings prohibit pets...which I absolutely will not do! I refuse to break the rules...the beauty of a co-op is that all your neighbors are working together for the greater good. I don't want to start off by sneaking my cat in!

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? Is it true most of the FH buildings prohibit cats? Also referrals to a buyers agent very familiar with the FH area would be most appreciated. At this point I'm being given information only through listing agents. Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

7
Hi Shelly:
I admire your honesty. This Coop would be you and your cat's "Home'. You don't have to sneak in. Just because others are breaking rules or "grandfathered in", does not make that Coop cat-friendly. The sure way to find out if a Coop is cat-friendly is to - go to the source - The Mangement Company. Their contact information is usually at the entrance, lobby area, mailbox area etc. Ask your Agent for Management number. Call them directly. Some companies post Purchase Application, House Rules on their website. If you need further assistance, without obligation, please contact me. Thanks.
- Belal Mohd 917-763-2260
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 17, 2011
Most of the coops in Forest Hills accept cats but many do not accept dogs. The coop I own Gerard Towers allows cats.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 15, 2011
It is not true that most of the Co op buildings in FH prohibit cats. Some have issues with dogs. You just have not seen the right apartments. There are many out there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
Shelly
I am Certified Buyer and Seller Representative in the Forest Hill and Queens area.I would love sit down with you and see how I can help you. Fajardo 347 932-0609
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
Hi Shelly- what are you looking for?? 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms?I have a cat and dog friendly 1 Bedroom for $178K, - maintenance is $715 a month-includes everything except for gas..DTI (debt to income ratio) is under 35%. Having an Open House on Wed 10/19 12:30-2pm. Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or TKorahais@elliman.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
Birchwood Towers, great building, allows both cats and dogs. We are selling 2 Br.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 8, 2013
Unfortunately most co-ops do not allow pets and those that do, have restrictions; your search may become a bit easier if you consider working with an agent of your own; you can also check http://www.mlsli.com if you need assistance locating a pet friendly building, feel free to contact me directly...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
About 80% of the Forest Hills coops do not allow pets but many of those have a grey area for cats and are really talking about dogs. The other 20% welcome pets and just happen to be some of the best coops in Forest Hills. I'm speaking of buildings such as Nathan Hale, Balfour + Cromwell.
Flag Tue Jan 7, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer