Question Details

Jerry Whitak…, Home Buyer in 93534

Looking to pay cash for a low cost mobile home in Southern CA on a fixed $800 monthly income.

Asked by Jerry Whitaker, 93534 Mon Sep 17, 2012

I am guessing Lancaster is one of the cheapest places to get a mobile home. I am concerned about rent being increased after buying a mobile home. Paying 10k for a used mobile home and paying 150-250 for lot rent seems like a good deal, but do mobile home owners have any kind of way to combat against landlords deciding to raise the rent to 1000 per month forcing owners to abandon their mobile home? What kind of policies does California have for rent control on mobile homes? I feel rent control is necessary for mobile home owners since the land underneath their home is significantly more valued to the mobile home owner than market value, and this can be abused by park owners given the moving cost of a mobile home is so high and some mobile homes aren't in good enough condition to be moved.

Also if I do find myself being abused by park owners, how difficult and expensive is it to buy a plot of land and move my home onto it? What kind of codes and regulations will interfere?