Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Leanne Kerber, Home Buyer in Downers Grove, IL

Looking to move to Denver/Boulder area. Looking for a townhouse for under $200,000 in a good area... any thoughts?

Asked by Leanne Kerber, Downers Grove, IL Fri Feb 14, 2014

Answers

28
I can make this easy. Since most of us can't search on our work computers My Keller Williams app is easy to get: http://app.kw.com/KW1C0KRTC
My app is with in 24 hours current and very easy to use.
Hello- I was just informed of a really beautiful Townhome that just went back on the market after the previous buyer wasn't able to get financing. $139,900 Near DIA, north of I-70, East of Pena Blvd. Are you pre-approved yet? I am a buyers broker and would be delighted to work with you. Please feel free to leave me a message or give me a call 303-868-1873 . There are many great areas and homes available.

This particular home mentioned is in excellent condition. The floor plan is open and creates a sense of spaciousness. Throughout the home are decorator touches in the wall and window covering treatments. The unit is quiet as it is located on the back edge of the complex and has wonderful views of the mountains across the open fields. All of the appliances are included as well as the four ceiling fans. The town home has two parking spaces, one reserved and one open for residents only. The property is in excellent move in condition. It is well located, with easy access to DIA, Northridge, Stapleton and Downtown. It is an excellent value and will not last. NO FHA FINANCING
Leanne,

The best way to search is on Realtor.com or a Realtor's sight like mine - http://www.RobertMcGuireHomes.com. If you are serious you need to have a Buyer's Agent to help with the search and set up a Daily Listing Alerts program for you. Sometimes realtors are privy to properties coming on the market before anyone else knows.

Robert McGuire - 303-669-1246
Hi Leanne,
Are you looking to move to the downtown area or suburbs? There are many great areas to explore. I will be happy to help you get settled here in Colorado.
Terry
303 250-2184
Hi Leanne,

I used to live in Chicago. Miss some things about it, but wouldn't trade for Denver Metro and Colorado! Happy to see other Midwesterners looking at coming out this way.

A few questions for you: 1.) Is this just for yourself? That is, how many bedrooms and bathrooms would you like to have? 2.) What is your timeframe for moving? Prices tend to rise the closer we get to the Summer. 3.) Detached or attached garage?

There are some good choices for townhouses not far off Hwy 36 that goes between Denver and Boulder... so you can enjoy both!

If I can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me through the Trulia site !

Best, Michael Cordle
Hi Leanne,

There are some great neighborhoods in Denver and the Boulder area that might suit your needs. I live in Stapleton and really like the community here and there are some townhome and condo options for you. I also would look at Lowry, Park Hill, Mayfair, Cheesman Park, and the list goes on, but I would drive the neighborhoods and have coffee at a local coffee shop to get the feel of the neighborhood. Best of luck to you.
Hi Leanne- Just following up to see if you were able to get the help you needed. If not, please let me know and welcome to Colorado.

I understand that at just the time you already feel overwhelmed, too many responses can leave you befuddled. :)

Jeanette Tolman, Broker
Cherry Creek Properties
http://www.CherryCreekPropertiesLLC.com
Phone: 303-303-868-1873
Fax: 303-432-3114
jtolmanrealestate@gmail.com
Hi Leanne,

Congratulations on the upcoming move to Denver/Boulder. I think you will find there are a lot of great neighborhoods to live. Do you know where you will be working? I would consider doing a search for townhomes within a 5 or 10 mile radius of your work or whatever commute time you are comfortable with. Would be happy to give you my opinion with a little more information about your needs, such as: number of bedrooms, square footage, number of bathrooms, etc.

Best of luck to you on the move out here. I moved out here a few years ago from the east coast and love it.

Take care,

Greg
Hi Leanne. The Denver/Boulder area has a large geographic footprint and prices will vary wildly within it. Assuming you are looking to be in area that would be close to both, your best bet would be the areas along the Boulder Turnpike (aka CO Hwy 36) between Denver and Boulder. There are several new developments going on in that area, in particular near the Interlocken and Storage Tech exits. Both have Broomfield mailing addresses, and both are near the Flatirons Mall. There are apartment home communities for rent, as well as condo and townhome communities. Another community worth checking out would be Louisville. It is near Boulder, but generally a lot less expensive. You can check out available inventory on recolorado.com.

I'd be happy to show you some homes in those areas so you can get a feel for which of them would be of most interest to you. I offer new clients a half day 'test drive' without obligation. Call me at the number below if you'd be interested.

Best of luck!

Larry Brake
HomeSmart Realty
303-877-5242
LB@MileHiHomes4Sale.com
http://www.MileHiHomes4Sale.com
Hi Leanne! I recently moved to Denver from Ohio and understand the challenge of looking for a property to buy from another state. Let me recommend my realtor- Michael Turner from Relogic-mturner@relogic.com He knows the area well and will not stop until he finds you exactly what you want. I had 2 agents before Michael and I found that they promise you the moon, but don't deliver. I would talk to them on the phone and they would have me convinced they would deliver the best service to me, and help me find exactly what I was looking for, but when it came right down to it, the only thing they wanted to do, is show what I called and asked to see. Which is the easy part. he would go to properties for me and check them out and takes pictures for me and give me a full description and tell me anything he saw that was troubling, or what he thinks is a positive. He will also talk to people he sees around to ask about the neighborhood. I gave him a list of my must haves and then what I would like and he searched the MLS every day and then forward properties to me that met that criteria. When I was there he offered to take me around to look at properties. He knows the area well and has driven 2 hours round trip to check on something for me. I recently closed a great deal on a property with his help, he knows a lot about offers in the current very competitive market. Please give him a call or send him an email, and he has a delightful British accent to boot! His cell is 720-300-0889 Be sure and tell him Cindi recommended him! Good luck with your house hunt, and I am sure you will LOVE living in Denver!
Find a Realtor in the area you wish to live in, pick up the phone and give him or her a call let them know what you are looking for and that Realtor should be able to email you all properties that fit what you want, then pick out the ones you want to look at and let the agent know which ones and the date and time frame you would like to see them.

It is best to have the Realtor send the listings directly from MLS, that way you do not spend half of your time looking on these websites only to find that the property was never on the market, that it is under contract or sold.

Also fin you are planning on financing be sure to have a pre-approval letter handy or if paying with cash a letter indicating you have proof of funds.

Hope this helps a little.
Might as well throw my name in the mix...Check out our Team profile on Trulia, we'd love the opportunity to help you out.

http://m.trulia.com/profile/wisdomrealestate/

Greg Charlton
Wisdom Real Estate
Buyers Specialist and Relocation Lead
gcharlton@wisdomrealestate.net
303-349-0249
Yes. I manage a townhouse that would be great for you. It has been recently updated with hardwood, new carpet, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and more. It's very close to downtown Denver on the NW side, and quick access to the Boulder Turnpike. Let me know if you would like to see pictures and get more info. It will be avail in April.

Matt Johnson
Brickstone Properties LLC
303-912-5486 cell
I have lots of thoughts, but I have 2 important questions first.

Where are you going to work?
Are there children involved?

PS I'm from Elmhurst and used to hang out in Downers Grove at tha teen night club called the Blue Village. (Google it) Yeah I'm pretty old!

no children... work out of house... an appraiser.
Flag Fri Feb 14, 2014
Hello Leanne,

Boulder, Denver and everything in between has a lot to offer depending on your lifestyle and your price.

I will suggest to use

http://www.recolorado.com

to do your search and help you narrow down an area. If you think you need help, you will find a great pool of real estate professional available on this and aforementioned site. One good thing about recolorado is that it is managed by metrolist (Colorado - MLS), where it will provide you up to date listings unlike other site. The data is updated every 15 min from the metrolist MLS which is used by the real estate professionals.
You have to keep in mind that because of controlled and restrictive development (+/- 2% annually) of Boulder (to control it from over building and to keep the feeling of a small town) you will pay more for the townhouse/house. While in Denver you have a huge selection of neighborhood along I-25 and I-70 corridor where you will be in Denver and have an easy access to Boulder. The Denver, Boulder corridor has allot to offer too with newer construction in Louisville, Superior, Lafayette and Westminster along with access to open space and beautiful views but will not have as better appreciation rate as Denver or Boulder. The more you will share about your real estate needs and goals I will be able to provide you with more info and data to help you make a decision. Feel free to contact me directly.
Flag Sat Feb 15, 2014
Thanks!!!
Flag Fri Feb 14, 2014
just go on trulia.com and put in all the key features you are looking for currently. it should narrow your search down greatly.
I would love to help! Moving from IL to Colorado is never a bad idea ;) I'm also from the midwest and have never looked back after my move to the sunny state! There are a lot of options out there for you. Send me an email and I can get more info on size, job opportunities... etc. There are so many great areas in both Denver and Boulder! Hope to talk to you soon! sally@fourstarrealty.com
It's a great time to be looking in and around Denver! I just thought I'd pop over a friendly hello to see how I can help?

If you have a few moments to share what is important to you... i.e. school district, neighborhood, a mile radius you would like to live within from your office or daycare, perhaps you want a main floor master, yard, garage, minimum square footage, price point etc. I'll be happy to set up a few searches to help be more effective and less time consuming for you and to better reflect only the neighborhoods that you are interested in.

Another thing to keep in mind... one of the services I also provide when I help people start their home search is to take them out for what I call market education day. If this is something you're interested in, send me a message.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Megan Douglas
Hi Leanne,

Congratulations on deciding to move to Denver. You will absolutely love it here. I am originally from Naperville. As like most of the people I talk to from Chicagoland, I wanted to get away from the cold. For instance its supposed to be a high of 65. It looks like Chicago might have a high of 25...brrrr.

There are many great neighborhoods for you to choose between Boulder and Denver. If you like dogs, there are so many trails. If you like a downtown atmosphere, Denver certainly has a great night life as well.

If you would like to discuss some of the details about your move, feel free to contact me at any of the information below.

Brian M Smith
(720) 490-1687
BrianSmith@TheMeridianTeam.com
Interview some really active agents (look at some of the profiles here ~ and the numbers of listings sold, testimonials etc). You can absolutely find something, but in my opinion Boulder and Denver are two separate markets. I suggest if you decide upon Denver use a Denver broker, and the same if you decide upon Boulder. Given our low level of inventory you want to work with a broker that specializes in one city or the other ~ it's just too big of an area for you to be served well by someone who declares they can help you find a great place in any area! You'll need to have a broker who knows what's coming on the market before it does, and uses their sphere of contacts so you get to be the first buyer to view the listing, not the tenth. I am sure I will offend some by this opinion, but I wouldn't deem myself qualified to serve you well in Boulder. That said, I could send you to a few great brokers up there! Best of luck and if you're considering the Denver area, happy to help!
Hi Leanne, Welcome to the Denver area in advance! I am a realtor with Cherry Creek Properties and can help you find exactly what you are looking for anywhere in the Denver/Boulder Metro area. I am a native resident and have lived all over the city, so am well acquainted with the incredible housing opportunities here. I know of several Townhomes in the area that are for sale, and others that are to be built soon. I'd love to talk with you and get a clearer idea of what your needs and desires are regarding your home choice. What specifics are you looking for in amenities, distance to a job, number of rooms, bathrooms, age of the home, etc.? Let me show you around and introduce you to several possibilities. I can work with you long distance if you would like to have something in place when you arrive. Please give me a call at 303 868-1873 or email me at jtolmanrealestate@gmail.com. I can then send you some links to some beautiful choices to look at.

I look forward to visiting with you. Jeanette Tolman, Associate Broker, Cherry Creek Properties, LLC.
Many great responses. As mentioned, there are some great options for you in the Broomfield, Westminster, Arvada areas. Much really depends on what you like/want to be close to as well. Find a agent you feel comfortable with and let them narrow the search for you...I am available : )

Kris Shuter
Velocity Real Estate & Investments, Inc.
Phone: 303-589-2776
Fax: 303-831-4016
Email: shuter@velocityrei.com
Web: http://www.velocityrei.com
Search the MLS system 24/7 at http://www.velocityrei.com
Already lots of responses, but I'll add my two cents as well. The suburbs between Boulder & Denver would be a good place to look: Broomfield, Westminster, and Thornton will have decent options.

I'd be happy to set you up for a free search in the MLS, so you can see what's available. No obligation. Just a place for you to check out what's available. Let me know how I can help!

Sally
sallygrenier@msn.com

http://www.searchwithsally.com
http://www.boulderhousesearch.com
http://www.Thornton-RealEstate.com
Leanne-
That is quite a large scope of area. It will be difficult to find a townhome in Denver and Boulder for under $200K but there are some areas in between that you can find this. Look at your requirements - number of bedrooms, patio, location, etc and then that will help you drive what area you are looking for. Also keep in mind that a hefty HOA will cause you to afford less of a townhome. If you would like a list of townhomes for sale, I can send you a list of what is available for under $200K. Please feel free to contact me if this is of interest.

Nina Kuhl
kuhlnina@yahoo.com
303-913-5858
Cherry Creek Properties LLC
Here is a great website that conducts annual Live Work Play neighborhoods. It all depends on what you are specifically looking for. Do you want a good walk score? (walkability to restaurants, stores, amenities, work & Recreation/Parks). Commute time is something to consider if you have to drive everyday. You have many areas to choose from and that is a good problem for the Denver area. I would be happy to help if you wish. Good luck. http://www3.drcog.org/LiveWorkPlay/
Hi Leanne,

There are some pretty great townhouses in that price range, however the idea to keep in mind is the monthly HOA payment to. Many can get quite high and that all goes into consideration of your loan approval amount.

Tony and Karen pegged it when they said that is a very wide net. There are many smaller 'suburbs' and cities along the way that would be a good consideration as well.

Have you been to Colorado to look at the different areas and get a feel for where you are comfortable? Often, when we have buyers moving to Colorado, they will come take a tour with us first to really see where they want to be and then we establish a search for them to keep an eye on that market area.

I'll be happy to discuss this with you further, get your timing established and set a plan of action to best serve your needs and make this move smooth on you.

Venus Howard
303-668-9949
VenusHoward@remax.net
Hi Leanne,

Denver/Boulder casts a pretty wide net. Certainly there are options available that would meet your price range. But can you be a little more specific? Do you have a job lined up, and where is it located? Any preference on type of neighborhood, style, amenities, access to whatever...?

We'd be delighted to help you look, or narrow down your requirements - feel free to email, text, or give us a call. And welcome to Colorado! :-)

Tony & Karen
720-427-4836
Info@TKHRealty.com
We know neighborhoods in Denver where you can buy a single family home (a better investment than a townhouse) for under $200,000.
Flag Fri Feb 14, 2014
Leanne I'm not a Realtor but a mortgage guy, If you need to look at mortgage options I would be pleased to visit wth you, We have offices in Denver and Vail (I'm in Vail but have many long time clients in the Denver area). Call me or visit my webiste link on my profile to learn more. I have 19-yrs experience.