Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Qmilburn, Renter in 19111

Looking to buying a home but need to stay close by my mother for emergencies. Would it be easier to get separate homes or a duplex?

Asked by Qmilburn, 19111 Tue Sep 11, 2012

She's also looking to buy a home soon. So I thought maybe we would make out better if we got a duplex.

Answers

15
Many families in USA are redefining the traditional family home by assimilating older parents into their households. Private sleeping quaters with separate entrance allow families to co-exist with their parents, without sacrificing their "own space". Probably going this way will be better solution.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone
http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Dear Qmilburn,
There are a lot of things that will determine whether a duplex or 2 single houses would be better for you and your mother. Either way, it is best to start with considering the financing that is available to you, and the amount of monthly payment that you want. Next consider the location where you want to live and what is available there that best meets your financial requirements. There are locations near you where there are some desirable duplexes, on the market, and coming on the market. I would be happy to meet with you to discuss your options in reference to specific neighborhood and properties.

Kathleen Sheridan, WEICHERT, REALTORS(R) - McCarthy Associates, 6901 Germantown Ave, Phila. PA 19119, ksheridanrealtor@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Thanks!! I will definitely give you a call.
Flag Tue Sep 11, 2012
With a duplex there will be only one mortgage payment which you both can't share and if your mom , one day moves to a retirement community you will be able to rent the unit and have a large part or possibly have the entire monthly payment paid by tenant For an eventual rental,it would be

beneficial to purchase a duplex that has seperate
utilities .
Don A . Sherman
RemaxCity & Suburban Realtors
-Cell267-716-8228
Emailrealtor94@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Please call me there are duplex with 2 bedrooms on the first floor and 3 bedrooms on the second flooe in the northeast. When you buy you will need to work out thow you're going to take title. Please cfall me since there is more to this then just buying a duplex.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
215-725-5700X49
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
That sounds like a great plan. Please feel free to contact me to further discuss.

Dawn Leigh
Century 21 Alliance
610-592-6279
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
A duplex or a home with an inlaw suite would work best for your situation. If you'd like to do a free search of all available properties, feel free to visit my website. Thanks.

Carol McCann, Remax Millenium
435 Rhawn St, Philadelphia, Pa
267-970-3952
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
The duplex would be a better choice .You will be right there for your mom & will still have as much privacy as you desire
Please contact me to discuss the particulars.
Mybest
Don A.Sherman -SRES
RemaxCity & Suburban Realtors
-Cell267-716-8228
Email-realtor94@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Only you know what is easier for your. Buying a duplex can put her right next door which would be more convenient. It also could be less costly to buy 1 dulplex rather than 2 seperate homes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Hello Qmilburn,

Before taking any decision you need to consider a fact that whether a duplex or two individual houses would be better for you and your mother. With a duplex there will be only one mortgage payment which you both can share and if your mom, one day moves to a retirement community then it will be difficult for them to pay the rent charges individually. In either way, it is best to start with considering the financing that is available to you, and the amount of monthly payment that you want. I will suggest you to buy a duplex which will help you and your mother both to stay closer with each other and in one home you can better take care of her rather than in two separate houses.You can find one big duplex in London real estate market which will help you to live comfortably with each other.
http://www.plazaestates.co.uk
Yes.... and give the Parents the 1st Floor Unit :-)

All the Best Johh Curci
Q, my recommendation is that you highly consider a duplex or a home with a separate inlay apartment. I don't think an in-law suite will work as it sounds like you want truly separate space.

A duplex is going to have lower taxes and only 1 him to maintain as oppose to 2 homes.

Good luck to you!
Web Reference: http://Kurfiss.com
What I was really trying to figure out is, if we would make out better purchase wise buying a duplex instead of two separate homes. Right now I know having her close by is the best option...and by her still being somewhat mobile she is still independent but I do a lot of things for her since she now walks on a cane from a car accident she had 2 yrs ago it left her with a limp, and medications that she still has to take. So its not too easy for her to get around...that's why Im there to help out. Buying eithe a duplex or a home with a in law suite would be great right now...just need to know what I need to do and what all info I should have available to start this process.
Please keep in mind that in Philadelphia,PA most if not all duplex unit are on top of each other they are 2 floors one unit on each there are exceptions to this but they are few and far in-between so please use a Realtor t6hat is knowledgeable abut t5he housing and area. If I can help please call me 215-725-5700 X49

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
215-725-5700X49
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
A duplex would work if she needs that much independence. Not sure how mobile your mother is at this point so possibly a single floor condo nearby might work or give her the first floor of the Duplex. That is very doable in the Philadelphia area.
Right now she is very mobile & independent. So most likely the duplex would work...I guess what I was really trying to figure out is, if we would make out better purchase wise buying a duplex instead of two separate homes.
Flag Tue Sep 11, 2012
I agree with Scott that only you know what's best for your particular situation, but a duplex could provide you with two rental income sources someday when you and your mother no longer need to live there yourselves.