Mattlieberman, Home Buyer in ,

Looking to buy with a reasonable commute to NYC

Asked by Mattlieberman, , Sat May 25, 2013

My wife & I are looking to move from NYC to either Middlesex or Monmouth County. Our budget right now is in the 5's, within 2 months it jumps to the low 6's and within 5 months low 7's (healthy bonuses on our way :)... My main concern is my commute to NYC... I think the fast ferry may be my best bet, I know it's expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. I'm worried about flooding in area's such as Middletown though. We aren't working with an agent yet, so we would like to speak with a few who may be able to assist in our search... Someone preferably with a lot of experience in Monmouth and Middlesex - A few important pieces of our search; Land with privacy and a yard that either has a pool or can accommodate the building of one (we have lived in the city for 10 years and want some privacy and a yard for children)... Large master bathroom, 2 story family room (not a deal breaker, but a preference). Easy commute!!!

Please write back and we can schedule some time to speak.

I was at a Brokers Open House today for a house in Little Silver that might be just what you're looking for.

Call, text or email me and I'll give you more information.

Leonard “Len” Dunikoski, GRI
REALTOR® Associate
Diane Turton Realtors – Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

(732) 239-0739 (cell) (732) 530-6686 (office)
Hello, if you would like a competitive quote to compare to any mortgage quotes you may have please call or email below.

Greg Bleyl
NMLS 117969
Hi, if you have any home finance questions, need a pre-approval or a rate quote please contact me. Feel free to check out my web page and my companies' website. I sincerely hope you find a wonderful home and I know the Realtors on Trulia are excellent and will be a tremendous resource for you.

With an A+ rating on the BBB, Total Mortgage offers some of the lowest mortgage rates and fastest closing times of anyone in mortgage industry.

Fritz Walter
VP of Retail Sales
Toll free: 800-359-1996 x551
Direct: 203-783-4551
Alt emai:
NMLS ID: 387922
Visit my webpage:
Company Website:
Total Mortgage Services, LLC - NMLS #2764
Licensed in: CT, FL, MD, NJ, NC, SC, TX, VA
Total Mortgage Licensed in: AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, NE, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, WV, WA

Total Mortgage offers a complete selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional, FHA, FHA 580-639 FICO, FHA 203 Renovation (Streamline & Consultant), HomePath, VA, VA IRRL, USDA, Jumbo financing , and No Income or reduced income. Portfolio, jumbo, and conventional programs offered for self-employed borrowers as well.
There are two homes in Fair Haven listed in the mid $600s that meet your criteria. Fair Haven is a terrific place to live: great schools, wonderful parks, safe streets, short distance to both train and ferry to NYC. Right next door is trendy Red Bank with its fabulous restaurants (including a few NYC style ones).

You won't be disappointed by taking a look.
SORRY for the typos only had one cup of coffee this morning :)
Forgot to give you a few wesbites to check out the stats on Metuchen: (enter zip code 08840)

Also forgot to tell you there's only one high schoo, one middle school abnd two elementary schools (split into tow) so the system is small and ranked well in NJ.
The Mattie,

First of all congrats on the dscision to move to NJ....I am a native Brooklynite myself having moved to NJ in 1983.

I work in ALL of Middlesex County and I think the perfect combination of location, commute, shopping etc is Metuchen NJ.

It's a small town with a lovely main street with shops, restaurants, etc very similar to any street in NY only with more of a community feel. It has a train station DIRECT to NY Penn station with a commute time of about 45 minutes.

Most of the town is walkable to the train, but there are also several parking lots with preference given to Metuchen residents to park. Ther are all types of homes available in your price range.

The town is also located close to Routes 1 and Route 287, the Garden State Pkwy and the Turnpike. There are tow MAJOR malls within 10 minutes, Menlo park and Woodbridge Center, and if you like uscale shopping it's a short drive to the Mall at Short Hills.

The town is a perfect combination of community feel with all the conveniences of city living.

Feel free to call me at 908-675-0167 and we can discuss your needs, what suits you best and I can answer any additional questions you may have. No obligation !!!
I know your lease isn't up until February, but by now you at least should have decided whether you like the Old Bridge area or coastal (non-flood area) Monmouth County the best. I live in Fair Haven and can give you the pros- and cons- of the towns close to the high-speed ferries. Don't limit yourself to Middletown, Atlantic Highlands, Highlands, etc.

Here are the latest (7 months year-to-date 2013) median home prices for a few towns you should consider:

Atlantic Highlands: $510,050
Fair Haven: $612,500
Holmdel: $660,000
Little Silver: $549,200
Shrewsbury: $420,000

There's more detailed information in my blog posts in the various online Patch websites (Rumson-Fair Haven Patch, Homdel-Hazlet Patch, Little silver-Oceanport Patch, Red Bank-Shrewsbury Patch, etc.)

Please call, text or email me so we can talk some more.

Leonard “Len” Dunikoski, GRI
REALTOR® Associate
Diane Turton Realtors – Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

If you are looking for a home in the $500-700,000 price range with a 2 story family room, large master bath and sizable yard for the children you most likely will have to look for a younger house. There are communities that have these features in both Middlesex and Northern Monmouth County that you may like that are a short commute to either the train, bus , or the ferry. If you are trying to stay out of an area that floods then look a bit further west in the county.

Some towns you may like are Old Bridge, Aberdeen, Marlboro, Holmdel, Hazlet, and the western side of Middletown,

If you would like me to send you some homes that are available in these areas feel free to give me a call.

Joan Congilose
RE/MAX Central
(732) 232-5277
As a NJ & NY Broker, I commute to Manhattan twice a week from Little Silver by train. It takes 1:20. You're right that the ferry is a less-stress method of commuting, assuming the ferry arrives in the neighborhood you work. Obviously, the convenience is a bit negated by a potential subway trip to another side of Manhattan.

Monmouth has its association with "the shore," as well as the two rivers region, (Colts Neck), and Holmdel. As Deborah points out, the commute to the ferry slip can be 5 to 25 minutes, so get your (radius-drawing) compass out! Middletown and Holmdel are your best bets for the kind of property you seek. Middlesex County residents tend to take the train from Metro Park, which is a viable alternative.

Your budget seems appropriate, for a McMansion that has fallen in price but probably doesn't offer the property you want or an 'older' home on more than a 1/2-acre.

If I can help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Keith Radhuber, Broker Associate
Gloria Nilson, Holmdel
(848) 667-6622 cell
(732) 956-3200 office
There are numerous towns within Monmouth and Middlesex which will provide you large private yards with pools or room to build a pool. I live close to the shore in Monmouth County with an office in Red Bank, NJ. We have a snail mail package that contains several maps and local publications that many of our clients have found very useful. We’ve assisted several families relocate from NYC to central New Jersey with a high concentration of those being “ferry commuters” who live in Northern Monmouth county. I personally travel via the ferry to NYC, on the average a few times per month.

You have many options, and determining which community best matches your lifestyle needs might be a consideration. If traveling by ferry is a prime consideration, what is your ideal travel time to/from the ferry? What is the maximum travel time to/from the ferry you wish to entertain?

You mentioned Middletown, which is the largest town within Monmouth County. This municipality spans such a large area, and can be 5 or 25 minutes of driving to the ferry. Many areas of Middletown are not in or adjacent to flood zones. Alternatively, there are other towns that you could add to your list.

I am a bit of an infoholic (cough)….and do not want to randomly post dozens of links. If we were able to have a brief conversation, I’m sure I could determine which links, attachments, or even our snail mail package would be most helpful for you.

What I can assure you is that I have helped several buyers from NYC become ferry commuters, whether there property purchases here were primary or secondary homes.

I welcome a telephone chat that could be followed up with us sending you information that is most relevant and helpful to your objectives. We do cover both Monmouth and Middlesex Counties. I will also be happy to talk with you about your time frame and how that may be impacted by your pending bonuses.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
732 784 8450 Mobile (BEST)
732 530 7755 Main Office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in ,
Hi, I wanted to let you know that I currently have some listings in Middletown that I can send to you via email. Please email me your email address and I will be happy to get you the listings to check out and we can discuss them afterwards.
Thanks again,
Angela Baskin

There are some great towns in both Middlesex and Monmouth Counties that have reasonable commutes into NYC. You can find homes in these areas that have plenty of land for some privacy, large backyards to allow for a pool and alot of recreational activities for the children. Give me a call at your convenience to discuss your options in more detail. I look forward to hearing from you,

Ron Sheedy
Coldwell Banker - Robert Michael Realty
(732) 239-7452
Hello Mattleberman,
Thanks so much for reaching out. There are alot of great areas within Middletown that are in your price range as well as a pretty good commute to NYC. I am an expert in this area and can show you homes that would fit your wish list. I am originally from NYC as well, and I can tell you that Monmouth and Middlesex Counties have so much to offer with lots of land and privacy for great big back yards for children. Please contact me on my mobile at 718-344-7862. or Office phone at 732-536-9010 ext 326. You can also do a search on my website at or My email address is or
I am available to show you homes this weekend, so don't hesitate to reach out to me. I have the experience of seeing homes that come out on the market and then in a few days in contract, so great homes are going fast! Please contact me as soon as possible.
Thank you and looking forward to helping you find your dream home!
Angela Baskin
Keller Williams Realty West Monmouth