Home Buying in Sun City>Question Details

Brian, Other/Just Looking in Sun City, AZ

Looking to buy in sun city and i'm wondreing how long a shingled roof will last in the heat and sun.

Asked by Brian, Sun City, AZ Sat Jan 8, 2011

Also any idea how much it would coast air-cond a 1400 sq.ft ranch in the summer.

Answers

8
Barbara Nichols’ answer
Brian - The time a roof lasts really depends upon the type of shingle that is used. A good double or triple shingle (high definition) roof will last 20-50 years. A single inexpensive shingle may last 10-15 years. Keep in mind that the heat is not the only contributor to roof longevity. We have strange weather here. Occasionally, we have what are known as micro-bursts. These a like small rain/hail tornadoes that may come through the area and only last 30-60 seconds, but can really take out part or all of a roof. The main thing is to have a respected home inspector inspect any home you are thinking of purchasing to assess the type of roof on that home.

Any other questions you may reach me at barbara@barbaranichols.com.

Barbara Nichols, Associate Broker, CNE,CRP,CRS,GRI,SRES
Ken Meade Realty, 623-203-9195
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 8, 2011
Good afternoon Brian. A lot of the patio homes, twin homes, condos, in Sun City have the roof repair, or replacement included in their HOA dues. That is something your Realtor should be able to let you know before submitting a contract. When you get into the single family homes that's where you will more then likely have to cover roof replacement on your own and those typically last 20-30 years. A lot of the homes out there were built in the late 70's early 80's so if they haven't been replaced they are nearing the end of their useful life. As for the a/c bill that all depends on what temp you are comfortable with your house being. If you are purchasing a normal sale your agent could always ask for that info. I have been dealing with the Sun City area a lot and would love the to have the chance to show you around out their and possible find you the home you are looking for. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance. Thanks and have a great day.

Daniel LeClaire
AZ and Associates Real Estate Group
602-803-7367
As I just learned, if u buy a condo the roof isn't yours so u don't have to pay for roofing.
Most shingles are guaranteed for 20-30 years. That is only for defects in the material. The wind and hail and poor maintenance will cause damage quicker. You can get much longer life and less wind and hail damage with concrete tile.

The quickest way to tell how much the electric bill will be is to ask the owner for past bills. Then make adjustments based on your lifestyle and number of occupants. There too many building science assumptions to make to guess without actually looking at the house to determine the cost.
Brian,

Shingle roofs average life depending on quality 17-25 years with regular maintance to seal where pipes come out of the roof ventilation etc.

Air conditioning is also depends on is your temp set at 72 or 78 a good quess for that size would be $140 to 170 in the summer.
Can you explain more about roof ventilation? I've always considered the lifespan of a roof to be based on weather conditions and quality, but I didn't think about roof ventilation until reading this. That could also play a huge role in the roof, especially in regards to mold. | http://www.skydome.com.au
Flag Mon Dec 22, 2014
I'd set it at 78 and use fans.
Flag Sat Jun 16, 2012
Buyers agent can address the cost of heating / cooling property IF the seller will disclose that info. Also based on personal lifestyle how many in household and etc.

Shingled roof confer with roofer for those answers

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
A 30yr asphalt shingle roof will typically last around 15-20 yrs in the AZ heat. There are however other factors that can add or detract from the life of the asphalt shingles.

The cost to air condition a home that size would depend on the age/ size/ SEER rating of the A/C unit. If the home is properly insulated, does it have single or dual pane windows and what temperature you leave it at.

A ballpark guess may be, $250 - $300 per month in the summer.
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com
Hi Brian and welcome to Arizona. My guess is that a 20 yr. roof lasts around 30 yrs , the sun may be tough but you don’t have to shovel it. If you have any concerns you should call a roofing contractor, anything else is just a shot in the dark.

as far as electricity goes I live in Sun City in a 1600+ home built in the late 60’s and I pay about $130 per mo. year round.

If you would like more information, you can email me at cwilder@awardrealty.com or go to my website http://www.cathywilder.com