Home Buying in Oakland>Question Details

CODwarrior, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Looking to buy in Oakland, but would love to be in an area, where public elementary and middle schools are good. Any suggestions on neighborhoods?

Asked by CODwarrior, San Francisco, CA Sat Apr 20, 2013

not looking in piedmont, due to a limited budget/ :)

Answers

7
Hi there,

We just moved to Piedmont Pines neighborhood in Oakland, next to Montclair, and we love it! Most people don't realize we're actually in a different neighborhood -- it all blends together. We don't have a yard because the hill where we are is so steep (a big compromise), but we haven't minded at all. We have a 13 month old who loves to run, but there are a ton of parks around with lots of kids. Plus, we play on our decks while we enjoy the view!

If you work in SF, the commute is fairly easy. I drive to the West Oakland bart station (Rockridge parking fills up fast!!!) and ride in. Takes me about 30 minutes to get to my office from Montclair after day care drop off.

The public elementary schools are really well reviewed, and Joaquin Miller, Montclair, and Thornhill Elementary are all super close: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Oakland-California/schools/ (To be honest, high school situation concerns me, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there!)

We've been surprised how many kids are around, but it's a great place for them. Parks, super kid-friendly restaurants in Montclair, safe community, etc. Overall we LOVE living in the Oakland Hills!

Good luck!!
Sorry to say I don't know that area well at all. With the exception of a few places, we haven't ventured too far west of 13 yet. I've heard it's a nice area, but no personal experience. Hope someone else can be more helpful to you!
Flag Thu May 23, 2013
Thanks Katie, What about the Crocker Highlands/Glenview area? Do you know anything about this particular area?
Flag Wed May 22, 2013

Looking for schools can be stressful I know! I have two school aged kids myself (one in second grade and one in seventh). Schools can be a pretty personal thing, and what works well for one family does not always work well for another. I personally have been happy overall with schools. There have been some challenges, but it seems like no matter where you are that is the case.

In Oakland you do have the option of petitioning to attend a school that is not in your immediate neighborhood. There are a few schools in Oakland that are pretty competitive to get in and this process can be challenging depending on the school. Per Oakland Unified they do not guarantee a school, even if you do live in the neighborhood where the school is located. I personally feel like this there general pat answer because from year to year they really can't predict the enrollment and gives them a chance to move kids around if need be.

If you want to look up what school is located in which neighborhoods you can utilize this mapping service at OUSD's website: http://www.ousd.k12.ca.us/domain/51

Which neighborhood in Oakland you may consider will relay on your budget for a purchase of a home. Based on your budget you could narrow down the areas to concentrate your search and at the same time investigate the schools in those areas.

Another couple of websites you can check out to investigate schools is http://www.greatschools.org/ and also the Berkeley Parents Network at http://parents.berkeley.edu/

Taking a look at other parents experiences is important but I highly recommend visiting schools if you can. Test scores alone usually do not provide the full picture of a school.

If you have any other questions about schools and neighborhoods, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hope that helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
http://www.LisaCartolano.com
DRE #01715440
Rockridge and Montclair areas have good school districts in Oakland if Piedmont seemed too high, which I totally understand. Especially with this seller's market we are having in the Bay Area right now, almost every property end up selling for over asking price and overbid. The other 2 cities that might be possibility for you are Alameda or Castro Valley.

Depends on where you work at. If you still work at S.F. Even though Castro Valley is less expensive city of all the cities and area I mentioned above, the commute is the furthest of them all. For city of Alameda, single family housing price are similar to Rockridge and Montclair, but if other than single family houses you will consider townhouse. On newer part of Alameda called Bay Farm, the townhouse over there are as big as 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with about 1500 sq.ft. are still around 500K. Please visit my website - http://www.HelenKwong.com and click on - School Tab to view score for the 2 elementary school - Bay Farm and Amelia, middle school - Lincoln. Also check out my blog on Alameda. Alameda is community for family and a haven for kids to grow up in. My daughters grew up here and never want to leave.

If you do not feel like committing to any realtor to represent you yet, it's a good idea to take a drive over here to the East Bay and visit the areas you are interested in and get a feel for yourself and take it from there :)
There are a couple of good links already posted. You can also go to the city website and pull up additional information.

http://mapstacker.ousd.k12.ca.us/welcome.htm

I would recommend visiting neighborhoods where the schools might be an option for you.
The test scores on some schools may not be so high but that is rarely the whole story!
You may prefer one community over another. As a former Oakland school PTA board member I know we were always happy to speak with anyone who had questions about the culture of the school and parent involvement etc.

In Oakland, I would say Montclair and Rockridge. Depending on what you mean exactly by limited budget there may be a couple areas on the Oakland/Berkeley Border to consider. For example, I just helped clients buy a home in Claremont and their budget was $800,000. Give me a call or email and tell me what your trying to do and I would be happy to help! Anthony 415-310-0066 ac@casselsf.com
Montclair and Rockridge are good alternatives, depending on how limited your budget is. These areas offer a variety of homes in various styles and configurations.

Here's a link to the Academic Performance Index
http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2011/2010Base_Co.aspx?cYear=&c…

Are you only looking in Oakland, or would you consider adjacent cities like Castro Valley, Berkeley, Albany and Alameda --- all of of which are noted for having good schools.

If you're working in San Francisco, these cities also offer commuting options.

How may I help you?
I think that Montclair is going to be your best choice. Most of the middle schools in Oakland are not great - check out greatschools.com, they also have an app. There are a number of neighborhoods with great elementary schools but good middle and highschools are more challenging to come by. A small area of upper rockridge is zoned for the Hillcrest school which is k-8 and has high scores although some people don't like it because you have 1st graders and 8th graders in school together.

I live in the Oakland hills and specialize
In this area and would be happy to explain the pros and cons of each neighborhood if you like. Feel free to see my reviews on Yelp or trulia and give me a call if you'd like to take further. Enjoy your weekend.

Aaron