Home Buying in Roanoke>Question Details

Frank_F, Home Buyer in Roanoke, TX

Looking to buy in Briarwyck vs marshall ridge. I love the homes in Brairwyck but not crazy about the highway

Asked by Frank_F, Roanoke, TX Sat Aug 29, 2009

and the commercial business going in front of the sub division. then there;s marshall ridge, far nicer but the houses are much smaller. Not sure if I want to live in the \little jhouses in the middle of milion dollar homes. They are off 377 which is not great but the commercial business's are nice little shops.

which would be the best location to move?

Answers

8
We just made the same decision and went with Briarwyck as well. The houses were amazing and the property tax sealed the deal. I had not heard about the Super Target and Lowes can anyone provide any more information on that. I think it would be a plus for us. By the way Frank we have a set of twins that will be starting kindergarten in two years too. Our house should be finished in April.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 8, 2010
Just wondering how you liked living there. We are considering moving there and love the location and the floor plans but are out of state right now and can not visit yet. We are concerned about any smell from the water treatment plant and wondering if there are any other things we should know about (positive or negative) that a current home owner could tell us about the neighborhood and homes in Briarwyck.
Flag Sun Sep 15, 2013
Frank,

It is a hard choice! If this helps:

* Briarwyck has 6 phases planned and they are only on their first phase so consider how long you plan to live in the house.
*Marshall Ridge has several price points that, depending on which price point you are in, can raise your value when the subdivision is all built out. Meritage is one of my favorite builders and the homes are beautiful. (Drees also)
*Briarwyck is Roanoke and Northwest Schools
*Marshall Ridge is Keller and Keller ISD
*Briarwyck is near 114 and Speedway traffic a few times a year
*Marshall Ridge is near the Train all the time (further back in the subdivision helps)
*Marshall Ridge means Keller proper and thus access to Keller Pointe and other Keller amenities. Roanoke hasn't built up their city amenities yet.
Check out http://www.cityofkeller.com/
or http://www.roanoketexas.com/

But most of all you have to love your home! I hope this helped.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 30, 2009
foundation problems!!!! both areas....be very careful...bad dirt, bad foundations, lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits...also, the traffic on 114 is loud, and DO NOT understimate the train...its awful....passes through day and night....
I have lived in Roanke for the last 8 years and love it! We he have great city services. Our Police & Fire Departments are top notch. With a population of around 4,300, we still have the small town feel. There are several events throughout the year; Celebrate Roanoke, July 3rd, Valentine's Dance, Numerous concerts in downtown...etc. We have great services for a town of our size. Recreation center, a brand new soccer complex, baseball and softball fields, library, community center & splash parks. Norhwest ISD is a great school district and you have a brand new elementary in your back yard. As far as the retail goes, I'm sure at some point there will be some "big boxes" over in Keller too. Good luck in your decison and the best for your family!

Melissa
Frank,

Buyer's remorse? I understand! As you have stated, growth in that area is going to happen for sure!

One thing I always caution my buyers about is, the further away from the metro plex, the less you may per square foot. The house you are building will be wonderful, you have chosen an excellent builder and the lot is perfect!

If you are buying your home with the idea of keeping it for 7-10 years, enjoy it and look forward to that. You concerns are legitimate however, is the trade off worth starting all over? Property taxes are lower in Roanoke and Keller ISD is experiencing growing pains right now. Realtors cannot discriminate when providing advice and it appears that you understand what the trade offs are. At the end of the day, what will be the best decision for you and your family?

I hope this was helpful.

Lucy A. Puniwai
http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/lpuniwai
Thanks for the replies all. Basically we bought a house in Briarwyck that has not broken ground yet. The problem is we are second guessing ourselves. I wanted to see what others had to say about the situation. The house we are having built is just over 4000sq ft and is amazing to put it mildly. However being off of 114 is not thrilling not to mention that it looks like a Lowes or Super Target may go in (or both) right in front of the community. We like Meritage as a builder and have not seen anything comparable based on price or perks.

Schools are important since our daughter will be going to kindergarten in 2 years. When we looked at Marshall Ridge, the 52 ft lot line is horrible in the Springs Collection. The Waterford Collection is 62 ft lot lines but the houses jump significantly. We chose a corner lot in Briarwyck in the 62 so we actually have about 75 ft.

In the end, it is obviously emotion that is driving our decision because the house we bought, a Maverick w/the Turret, is remarkable. Comparing that house to the same price range in Marshall Ridge is not a comparison at all. We would lose about 1000sf and have, in my mind, a generic home by comparison. We should also have 40ft from the back of the house to the fence line and in Marshal Ridge we may get 30ft not to mention additional width in Briarwyck.

So we just need to decide if we prefer the larger house is Roanoke with the obvious concerns or go to Keller and get a smaller house in what is probably a nicer area.
Good morning Frank!

There are some great areas in Keller, so limiting yourself to only two of them is doing yourself a disservice. If you'd like, I can set my system up to send you a list of homes (on a regular basis) that meet your search criteria. That way you can get a feel for all the areas. Think of it as catalog shopping for homes. Once you get an idea of what areas and homes appeal to you, then we actually go shopping!! It's a great way to narrow down a large area. If that appeals to you, just drop me an email at truvaluerealty@gmail.com with an idea of what you are looking for (price, range of size, bedrooms, baths, etc.) and I'll get you set up. Thanks so much and good luck in your house hunting!!

Jackie Rankin
Tru Value Realty
Hi Todd!

I know what you mean! Marshall Ridge vs Briarwyck! Have you considered the Villages of Woodland Springs? (You are debating 2 and I throw in a 3rd?!) Are you considering brand new or preowned? Do you prefer a large lot? Are you concerned about schools or other amenities such as the common areas, like the pool etc? Where would you commute from? Are taxes a concern for you? How long will you live in the home?

I can help you make an informed decision by knowing a tad bit more about your personal preferences.
Please consider signing up for an account on my website:

http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/lpuniwai

I live in Keller and know the area extremely well. Let's discuss the things that are important you and visit a couple homes. The final decision could rest on the size of the lot and level of upgrades that are included in the home.

Our company policy is to provide excellent service and a 20% of our commission at the Closing table which can be used toward closing costs!

Give me a shout and we can discuss what the best scenario is for you!

Lucy