Sunray, Home Buyer in 94089

Looking to buy a house near a mobile home. Any disadvantages living next to mobile homes and how much does if affect my resale value?

Asked by Sunray, 94089 Fri Nov 18, 2011

Answers

6
Robert Lei’s answer
I agree with Greg and Sheila. Location is the most important factor for resale value. While there is nothing wrong with manufactured homes, they aren't viewed on the same level as traditional single-family homes.
Location, location, location. I think inherently there is nothing wrong with mobile home communities, however they are not considered to be on the same scale as a single family home community. Therefore the mobile homes tends to detract from the value of the single family homes. It does make the homes more affordable, but it also does affect the resale value. If you are considering this because you cannot find a home in your price range, wait a little bit. The inventory is very low as we get closer to the holidays. Once we are past Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, there will be a new crop of inventory to choose from. If you aren't working with a good agent, you should be. The better picks come and go quickly, so a good agent will help you locate, place a srategic offer, and get you into contract. That's what quality Realtors are all about. Consider it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 18, 2011
Hi Praveena, let me start out by saying that if the "Factory Built" home community was built after June 15, 1976 it is not a "Mobile home" community. Homes built after that date are and have been referred to as "Manufactured Home" communities or developments.

Some are "rental community parks" while others are Condo conversions, (formerly a rental community turned to private residential condo ownership) or possibly even a "Planned Unit Development" aka a "PUD" which was a planned residential development that chose to utilize "Factory Built" in lieu of "Site Built" homes.

In any event, as in any other neighborhood, if the community is will maintained it shouldn't impact your value. If, however, it's blighted with junk cars scattered about and lot's of run down and/or abandoned homes I'd be looking for another home.
Praveena,
Being next to a mobile home park will not necessarily depress your resale vale, unless the home has a view of it, and the view is unpleasant. Many of the mobile home communities in Sunnyvale are being sold off and turned into town homes so it is very likely that even if there is a mobile home there now, when you go to sell it may not be there.
Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com
That would be more like comparing apples to oranges, if you are looking at single family homes in 94089 which are somewhat near a very nice mobile home park in Sunnyvale. It's difficult to answer your question without a specific address, but I have sold and looked at homes in the area of 94089. With it's close proximity to Silicon Valley high tech jobs, this area has held good value over the years. Value will be drawn within .5 miles of the subject property - recent sales going back about 3 months. A mobile home is not an accurate comparable to a single family home, therefore, mobile home prices will not be used as a comparable to a single family when it comes to an appraisal of value.
I work mainly as a buyers agent right now and what Greg and Sheila posted is spot on. You need to get with an agent and sort out what your priorities are. The plus side of buying next to a Mobile home park is that generally speaking and depending on the location is that the homes are usually cheaper and that will tell you why it does affecr resale value.
If you don't have an agent, get one right here, just look over the profiles of a few of us and pick a few to interview and go with the agent you feel will represent you best.
Feel fee to contact me with any questions.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256