Home Buying in Nutley>Question Details

Vaishali, Home Buyer in Edgewater, NJ

Looking to buy a house in north jersey which has easy commute to NYC.. we both work in NYC and our budget is upto 350K. We have lived in NJ for 4 yrs.

Asked by Vaishali, Edgewater, NJ Mon Jan 17, 2011

we are a young couple working in NYC and I am trying to research which towns are best for us to buy a home. We live in edgewater and love the commute to NYC. dont want to buy in edgewater as its expensive and not a great school district. here is our checklist :
1. Easy commute to NYC ( no NJ transit train please.. especially no North East corridor)
2. good school district
3. shops n restaurants near by
4. communities with young professionals

Answers

6
Hi Vaishali

I cover Essex, Union and Morris Counties.

I would suggest West Orange as a possibility. There is a direct bus line (Coach USA bus #77), which takes approximately 45 min......(.even though you don[t seem to want it, .there is also a town jitney service that takes you to a NJ Transit Midtown Direct train - it goes straight to Penn Station in about 35 minutes.)

W. Orange has lots of recreational oppportunities, and is centrally located for a trip to the shore (60 min)... or the country.... or NYC.
Your price range should offer you a nice 3/4 bedroom home with 2 - 2.5 bathroomss and a family room. You could find anything from a charming tudor style to modern ranch or split level.

There sre several malls nearby, including Essex Green, right in W. Orange - with a brand new AMC Dine-In Movie complex (with lounge chairs and waitress food service all while watching a movie!)....The Mall at Short Hils and the Livingston Malls are only a 15 min drive.

Like to eat out? Choose a cuisine, and you can find it........from large stores and chain restaurants to small boutiues and trendy restaurants...., the West Orange area has it all.

Visit my website for links you might find helpful in your new home search.

Please reach out to em if I can be of help!

Best wishes..
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Hi Vaishali, I don't know the exact rating of the Nutley schools but I know that a lot of buyers we meet want to buy here specifically because of the good reputation of our schools. My two children went to school in Nutley from kindergarten to 12 grade and they are honor students in prestigious colleges. Yantacaw and Spring Garden are the two elementary schools that have the best reputation.
Also, there are lower priced units in Cambridge, but you are right about prefering a single family house. You have more privacy and more space. There is quite an inventory on the market now and prices are good, so if you tell me what your top price is, I can email some listings to you.
Even if you decide you don't like Nutley, it's still good to have a larger view of the real estate market in New Jersey. I hope you give me a chance to convince you about the advantages of Nutley.
Daniela
Hey Vaishali,

Just finished reading what you're looking for...I'm a Realtor in Hoboken, NJ which is pretty close to Edgewater as you all ready know. However, I grew up in Bergen County, specifically, Ridgewood, where I attended elementary, junior and senior high school. As a result, I know Ridgewood and the surrounding areas pretty well. It's a beautiful area close to NYC, has many shops and restaurants and is home to many young professionals and young/growing families because of excellent school systems. Have you looked in that area? I'd love to share my knowledge of the area with you! Feel free to email me at Jerry@RELB.com with any questions.
Thanks Daniela. We were checking those townhouses but i find them way too costly. I mean 450K for a townhouse then I might as well buy a single family home. Also, the down side of Nutley is what I heard that the schools are not that great. I mean I dont have kids now but in future.. you know dnt want to keep changing the towns.
Hello Vaishali, Nutley has great schools, very good commute to NY (30 min), and is a very pretty, quiet small town. It's also very safe, one of the lowest crime rates in NJ. I strongly reccommend Nutley, you might be interested in Cambridge Heights, a gated community with townhouses where many professional people live and commute to NY. The bus stop is just outside the back gate to the complex. If you need more details or have questions you can e-mail me at Daniela.Mateescu@ColdwellBanker.com.
Best of luck.
Consider researching areas online and do visit areas of interest more than once, check out the shops, dine at local eateries, look at everything of importance to you, and personally experience what the area(s) has to offer--keep in mind that opinions are often subjective and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another.....as for the schools, see link for helpful information.
http://www.greatschools.org/
http://education.state.nj.us/rc/