Home Buying in Belford>Question Details

Tom, Renter in Staten Island, NY

Looking to buy a house in Middletown....looked at a few that are near the water (Belford area).

Asked by Tom, Staten Island, NY Wed Oct 16, 2013

Want to know why so many of the houses are for sale right now in the area? Also any advice or info on the area. We want to start a family and like Middletown because it is close to parkway for commute, but not sure why house prices are very low and lots are for sale.....Is this a good place to buy? ANY advice is will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers

4
Tom,
The area had lots of flooding during Superstorm Sandy. Houses were torn down and the lots are for sale very cheap. If you do decide to buy, ask your real estate agent AND your attorney to check the new FEMA flood maps and availability of flood insurance.

If you are interested in a specific house and the owner says there wasn't any damage from Sandy, ask them to get a letter from their insurance company that shows how far back the policy covered the house and whether or not there were any claims during Hurricane Sandy or Irene.
Mick
I'm not sure why the real estate agents didn't answer the question you asked...
Flag Wed Oct 16, 2013
Tom, there are many different sections of Middletown and each has its own personality. The areas near NJ Route 36 (Belford, Port Monmouth, etc.) tend to have smaller, older homes with lower prices. The caveat is that many areas between Rte 36 and Sandy Hook Bay are in flood plains. Areas such as Oak Hill and Lincroft tend to have newer, larger homes with higher prices. The Navesink/Locust area has some of both. Rumson is just over the Oceanic Bridge on the other side of the Navesink River, so I'm very familiar with all of the sections of Middletown.

For an overview of Middletown real estate, read my last blog post (under Middletown "Advice", click on "Middletown Blogs". That post covers single-family homes. Are you also considering condominiums? There are a lot of nice condos in Middletown, many are townhouses and some have 1-car garages.

Many people like Middletown because in addition to being close to the Parkway, it has easy transportation to Manhattan via train and high speed ferry.

I'd be glad to work with you to find exactly what you want. Call, text or email me!

Leonard “Len” Dunikoski, GRI
REALTOR® Associate
Diane Turton Realtors – Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

(732) 239-0739 (cell) (732) 530-6686 (office)

ldunikoski@dianeturton.com
Tom
Yes Middletown and the surrounding area is a good place to buy. Contact me at 908-217-9971 or tmok@att.net to discuss your questions further. I look forward to speaking to you.

Tom O'Keeffe -
Prudential New Jersey Properties
Manalapan
Middletown is an up and coming area. It

Which homes were you looking at I can take a look at the details of those homes and see what the descriptions says about them.

Let me know how I can help. I also have clients looking in those areas bc of commuting and reasonable prices.

Melissa Silva
Realestate.mel.s@gmail.com
201-527-7313