Home Buying in Bergen County>Question Details

Prachi, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Looking to buy a house in Bergen County. Any good towns?

Asked by Prachi, New Jersey Sat Jan 19, 2013

This will be our first house. Looking for:
1) 3BR/2Bath
2) Budget: $500K
3) Within 1 hour commute to Manhattan by train/bus
4) Good school district

Any particular towns we should be looking at?

Answers

4
Hi Prachi,

All good info you have supplied but I do have other questions to ask you. My focus is Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Wyckoff and HoHoKus so I am partial to these towns for schools, commute and town features.

Click on my photo 2x's then visit my client recommendations.
I know I can help you.

Chris Gubb
Keller Williams Village Square
201-362-6344
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 19, 2013
Bergen County has 70 different towns, the vast majority with excellent school districts. If I can respectfully suggest that school districts should not just be judged on online data and test scores, but also on what they have to offer and how they work to motivate students, as well as encouraging parental involvement in their children's education. One person's "good" school district might be judged by another as either "not good enough" or "terrific" -- you should take some time to call the districts in towns you end up looking in, and tour the schools themselves in cooperation with the principals. Judge for yourself. The commute to the city is also varied, depending on whether you want to take a bus to Port Authority or the NJ Transit train to Hoboken to connect with the PATH line or the ferry. These are all important considerations in narrowing your focus.

That being said, and looking at your parameters, I can also suggest Teaneck as a very good option that is affordable, offers a variety of housing styles and pretty neighborhoods, has great recreation programs for kids, and is 35 minutes away by NJ Transit bus. In addition, there is New Milford, River Edge, Maywood, Oradell, Leonia -- as you can see, there are choices!

As a realtor with nearly 30 years experience and one who is a longtime resident of Teaneck and raised four kids here, I would be happy to work with you -- give me a call or email me!
Barbara Ostroth
Coldwell Banker RE/Oradell
201-965-3105 cell
http://www.BarbaraOstroth.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 19, 2013
Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Allendale, Wyckoff, Oradell, Park Ridge, Hillsdale, Montvale. All have excellent schools. Bergen County is known for having good schools. You can check out the listings at BergenHomeSale.info.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 19, 2013
For your price range and location I would recommend Ridgewood, NJ. I could refer you to an experienced Agent who specializes in this area. They will be able to provide you with valuable insight and guild you through the buying process. Send your contact info to Tjackson@c21mm.com

Travis Jackson
Century 21 M & M Associates
DRE# 01879566
Tjackson@c21mm.com
http://www.408RealEstate.com
Just curious - Why would you recommend Ridgewood? Have you ever been there? Have you ever been to NJ? Do you know anything about it?
Flag Sun Jan 27, 2013