Home Buying in Lancaster>Question Details

Jerry Whitak…, Home Buyer in 93534

Looking to buy a home to move into in California for under 20K

Asked by Jerry Whitaker, 93534 Sun Sep 16, 2012

My gf has been awarded 20k in back pay plus 800 per month for her genetic disease that prevents her from working. I only have a part-time job I commute an hour to (tough times) and she and I can't afford a place anywhere near where I work. We were thinking about buying a home for cheap but it must be in California since she is on state disability. As long as we have utilities (internet doesn't even matter), we don't mind where it is. Our only concern is being too far from a good hospital, but we'll take our chances. Is it possible or just wishful thinking?

Answers

9
Hello Jerry,

A couple things to look into:

1 buying a mobile home cash in a park w/space rent and utilities at about $600/month, possible in the Antelope Valley

2 using the $20k for a down payment and keeping your mtg PMT at abt $600/mo, possible buying a City of Palmdale home and utilizing their down payment assistance

Before doing step 2 you'd need to sit down with a local lender and discuss your situation to see if we can get you qualified for a loan.

Let me know if I can help you with either of the above,
Tamara
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
We discussed the possibility of a mobile home, though we have concerns about rent being increased with time, and she is on a fixed income, so that will cause issues. Is there any kind of rent control to prevent massive lot rent increases? Also is there options to put a mobile home on a plot of land or would that lead to too many codes and regulations.
The idea of owning a home but not the land it is on makes us feel like the park owner has a monopoly over us. That land beneath our home becomes so valuable and they know it.
Flag Sun Sep 16, 2012
Hello Jerry,

There are several options that may work for you, but your first step would be to speak with a lender. As Tamara mentioned, homes in the Antelope Valley and surrounding areas are very affordable right now.

Below is the contact information for a reputable lender. Feel free to call or email him - he can tell you whether or not you qualify for a loan, and if so, what your payments would be based on the price you are qualified for. He can also guide you in credit repair if there are any errors on your credit report that need to be removed.

Mark Glouner
661 206-6345 Office
661 406-5629 Cell
661 206-6382 Fax
Lancaster, Ca. 93534
NMLS ID: 260877
DRE ID: 01299857

Hope this information is useful to you.

Michael Watson
1401 West Rancho Vista Blvd #B
Palmdale, CA 93551

http://www.avwatson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 17, 2012
Your going to be looking at a distressed property or a foreclosure.
Visit http://www.reoprep.com and ask them as a buyer. They handle a ton of short sales
and foreclosures there.
I read where these agents are all just so confident that they can get you a home and this that and the other... I'm here to tell you, not under 20K, like someone said, they'll tell you they have it, then you'll pull up in front of a trashy trailer park where a family of 10 on welfare is living in a 2 bd single wide right next to the one they're showing you. I know, because I've dealt with these realtors out here. $20k would make a good DOWN on a home... Do not look on the East side of Lancaster or Palmdale, it's way Ghetto, the West-side is much cleaner, (certain areas of course are still bad, the closer you get to the 14 fwy), and if living in a trailer seems manageable to you, then I would recommend the Boulders of West Palmdale. They have security on patrol, and I mean, it's still not "My kind" of atmosphere, it is probably THE BEST trailer park in the A.V. But yeah, don't let these Realtors pump your hopes up. You're not going to find a decent house, on foundation, in a good area, with decent living space for $20k or less... Just not going to happen. Sorry to be so blunt, but I hate when realtors act like they can work miracles for people, when in reality, they just waste your time with all their miracle talk. Good luck with your search friend.. :)
Good luck with that one :) If it's under 20K, then there's usually a reason why. It's in bad shape, or dangerous surroundings. I've looked for listings just about every where in CA. for a decent property, you're going to pay. Just the CA way of life, we're one of the most expensive states to live in... And really, without reason, it's not that great out here.
Yeah; wishful.
If you're into a trashy trailer park, with not much hope of appreciation.
You might consider finding a better, full time job, and trying again in a year or so.
It would be worth waiting and working for.
I do have a nice mobile home cash at around your range, in a park w/space rent and utilities All under $500 Month in lancaster CA. Contact me for more info..... omshirts AT gmail dot com
I got it ! Call me.......or email me ! Nyernie@gmail.com......Ernest Wilson-century21 Yarrow (661) 547-8532 !