Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

Boston_or_bu…, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Looking to Buy in Boston. $800k budget, curious about towns w/ good commute, schools and value? Would like to limit commute to 30-45min.?

Asked by Boston_or_bust, Boston, MA Mon Mar 14, 2011

We like the Metro West area - Dover, Sudbury and Wellesly. They appear to have good schools and okay value. Wondering if it's realistic to live there and maintain the desired 30-45 min. drive commute? Would love and all thoughts. Also, we have a young family - 4 & 2 yr old kids. House: 4 bed room desired, yard for kids and newer construction. Thank you.

Answers

15
Great suggestions here already. Wanted to add: your commute time will depend on WHERE in Boston you have to be and and what time, meaning, which rt you are planning to take (Mass Pike, rt 9, rt 30, 16 etc) Are you considering using any type of public transportation (be it T, bus, express bus, commuter rail etc).

It's also not a bad idea to actually drive to Boston from the towns you choose during actual peak hours to see for yourself how good / bad it gets. (Sunday early afternoon doesn't count at all!) It'll be easier to narrow down geographical area that way.

Also, would you consider a town house, to broaden your search? There are some nice new construction ones. Some of them give you a huge back yard and a feeling of a Single family (they might be connected by a garage only), yet take away the headache of exterior maintenance, snowplowing and landscaping, and add more properties to your search to choose from.

Would you add Natick/ South Natick to your target towns? With your budget, you can get a great property that is either new construction or recently totally remodeled. It's a good commute to Boston, and schools are not bad either.

I would be happy to answer more of your questions, please feel free to ask.
I have clients that have been looking in those same areas. You may want to check out Medfield, which is in the Westwood, Dover, Sherborn area. Great value for your money and some fabulous new construction coming on the market in the next few months.
I'm impressed that you have a budget and are looking into so many aspects of your home purchase - that's a good sign that you'll find the ideal place and all your work will pay off.

The drive can be short except during rush hour - why not try the commute during the actual times you plan to be driving? An alternative, despite recent bad press, is public transportation such as commuter rail.

Tom
http://www.flagstarloans.com/tstevens Thomas.Stevens@Flagstar.com
Web Reference: http://territory.com
Home Buyer:

Depending on whether you are headed to the South Station or North Station would determine looking in Dover/Sherborn or Weston/Wayland. You must keep in mind time in the car and if you live in Dover, but work in Cambridge you are looking at a tough commute. I am a Realtor in Weston and can definitely assist you. Feel free to view my website. Best
Hello Boston_or_Bust!

Have you considered any towns just north of MA PIKE? Some towns to consider (in no particular order but all guaranteed to give you more bang for your buck) are:

Hopkinton
Southborough
Northborough
Westborough
Wayland

You mentioned Sudbury which I would also include on this list of affluent towns with excellent public school systems....and SO MUCH MORE! You will not have any problem fulfilling all of the items on your wish list in either of these towns.

Feel free to contact me should you wish to gather any insight as I too have two young children and share your goals!

Kind regards,

Judy Boyle

REMAX Signature Properties

Serving the Boroughs and Beyond!
Brookline and Newton. Great schools, shorter commute, high quality of living and public transit available.
Boston or bust.

Brookline, Needham, Newton, Dover, Wellesley and Weston

Most affordable and unpretentious Needham. I grew up in Newton, I live in Needham as do most of my Newton friends. Communter rail into south station, 3 entrances to interstate 95, great shopping, town center, sports, schools, fireworks, parade as Norman Rockwell as you can get. Values will always be stable due to it being between Newton and Wellesley. I also build. I just completed a home in Newton, just completed one in Needham, I have built in Dover as well. Love to help you, either buy or build or just here to answer your questions. 800 will not get you new construction in any of these communities. There are homes that have been updated with kitchens, baths, windows, heat, roof etc that will be close to that price, but go immediately as that is what everyone wants, 4 bed 2.5 bhats, 2 car gar, 1st flo family room, just move in condition. Newton new const. 1500 to 2500 Needham 1100-1450, Wellesley 1800-2700 In all these communities you can exceed those prices as well. Tear downs, Newton 600-900, Needham 500-750, Wellesley 800-1200

Louis Wolfson

Representing Greater Bostons Finest Builders and Communities - Brookline, Dover, Needham, Newton, Wellesley and Weston.
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Good morning. Here's a resource that may help with schools. Boston Magazine ranks the best public schools every year, here's a link: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2010_public_school_district/in…

My short list (in no particular order) of best public school districts within that commute time:
Belmont
Lexington
Needham
Wellesley
Winchester
Newton
Reading
Lynnfield
Bedford
Weston
Wayland
Lincoln
Sudbury / Dover
Andover

Hello Boston,

You will be able to find a 4 bedroom home in Sudbury within your budget however, it may not be newer construction. Also, depending on where in Boston you are going, your commute will be more like 45 -60 minutes.
You may want to consider Lexington, Winchester and Belmont also. They are within commuting distance and have some newer construction but, they may not be within your budget, if you need 4 beds.
As Tean meantioned, it may be a good idea to sit and discuss your options with an agent and get a good idea of what will best suit your needs.
I am happy to help if you would like. Feel free to contact me.

Jessica Harvey
617-650-6750
I would say given your budget and desired commute, your best options are:
Newton
Belmont
Lexington
Needham

You may have to downsize to a 3br in the top 3 of these. In Needham, the elementary school system is good, but of course, you can't beat Newton. North Waltham has a couple of good schools as well, comparable to Needham. They are not "the best" in the state, but they are worth considering.

I would say that Wellesley is out of your budget entirely, plus there isn't that much new construction available in the first place.

I would recommend interviewing several real estate agents, and choose one you are comfortable with, who you feel will represent your interests well and find you a great home. I would be happy to assist further.
4 bedrooms, newer construction in $800K is not too difficult to find.What is hard is great location for you to be able to commute to work with in 30 mins. I would like to say Newton in Chestnut hill area, but your budget will change. Have you discussed with your other half? Sometime sitting at the same table with real estate professional can help you both moving in the right direction. Home buying process is hard but the most important element is communication. Lay down every option on the table and talk it through with your partner and have a professional with you can help a lot. I had a great meeting with a couple yesterday, believe it or not, they have been trying for a years, but after talking together they realized the whole time they were not on the same page. I would like to work with you, if you would give me a chance to know your story and understand better.
All 3 of those neighborhoods are great. Dover is 45 minutes without traffic to Boston. What's nice about Dover is you typically get 1-2 acres of land and the houses are beautiful. Negatives are you have to go to Wellesley or Needham for a good grocery store and you are really in the middle of the woods. Very peaceful and quiet. You can get more for your money in Dover than in Wellesley. Wellesley is beautiful, and depending what part of Wellesley you are in, you are 30 minutes to Boston. Unofortunately it's tough to find a really nice 4 bedroom home in Wellesely for $800,000.

Feel free to email me direct at msylvia@theterriergroup.com for more info on the commute, neighborhoods, school system, etc. I grew up in the area and am very familiar with all those areas.
Web Reference: http://www.ttgre.com
The short answer is yet ... you've picked good communities to satisfy your commute requirments assuming you're trying to commute into Boston proper. Please call me at (617) 308-6583 and I'd be happy to help you! It easier to provide that kind of service in person.

Where are you commuting to? Have you checked out http://www.greatschools.org?
It depends where in boston you are commuting to. 45 is probably more realistic. 30 would be doable from the Newton Wellesley area.