Home Buying in Short Hills>Question Details

Surabhi, Real Estate Pro in Montvale, NJ

Looking for towns with excellent schools and very good commute to NYC/Hoboken. We short listed millburn, summit, glen rock, ho ho kus, oradell etc

Asked by Surabhi, Montvale, NJ Fri Jan 10, 2014

Open to inputs from agents on the top areas that may work for us, we are looking in budget of 400k-500k (min 2bed,2bath) for townhouses/single family. One of us commutes to NYC/Hoboken and other to East hanover. Should we consider foreclosures/short sales as our budget seems smaller versus the price of good homes in these localities?

Answers

11
Surahbi,
I agree with Debbie. Livingston has the best combination of size of town (so you have a lot to choose from), proximity to NYC and high quality of schools. Other towns with great stats are Madison, Chatham, Florham Park and the Hanovers. I am happy to expand on this - call me at 201-981-0373.
Surabhi-

Another great town you may have overlooked, with excellent schools and a good commute to East Hanover and train service to Hoboken/NYC, is Glen Ridge. Last year, 18 homes with 2-5 bedrooms and 2 baths, sold between 350k-$515k. None of these were short sales or foreclosures. There is also a small townhouse community in Glen Ridge where homes sell in your price range.

If you would like any additional information regarding the area or would like me to send you listings of available Glen Ridge homes, please contact me.

Sloan Berman
Coldwell Banker
Considering your price range, I would suggest adding Livingston to your list as a very viable option.

There is a jitney service from the Livingston Mall to the Midtown direct train into Manhattan........giving commuters more options than the bus or driving to Harrison to take the Path train.

If the idea of a town house interests you, check out The Regency in Livingston - a gated community that is in your price range, and offers a pool and tennis plus a number of elegant amenities.

Honestly, you will have very limited inventory/options in Millburn/Short Hills & Summit in the $400-500,000 range.

I can't help you with Bergen County, though........you may need an agent who covers that area, and one who covers Essex/Morris Counties, as I do.........

In regard to short sales, unless you have a lot of time to wait (or waste), depending on the situation, I'd avoid short sales.
Foreclosures aren't necessarily a bargain as the condition of the home might be in question....and......there aren't a lot of those listings in the towns you mentioned (that I cover).

Please reach out to me with questions, or check my website, which has some links on town information you might find useful.

Good luck! I'd be happy to help!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
http://www.DebbieRoseSells.com

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
hi - Millburn and Summit both have Midtown trains into NYC and Hoboken. It's about 10 mins to 20 mins to East Hanover depending if you are in Millburn or summit. You might want to branch out to Livingston, Chatham, Berkeley Heights and New providence with your price range. There are limited town houses in Millburn/ Summit. There's no short sales in Millburn or Summit. You might be able to find some short sales in Maplewood or South Orange and get most for your dollars. Maplewood / South Orange located next to Millburn and they also have Midtown Direct Train into NYC as well and not too far from East Hanover. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can further assist you in anyway. Good luck with your home search . You can also visit my web site http://www.HomefinderInNJ.com
Hello Surabhi, You seem to be looking in a variety of locations. I cover portions of Union, Essex and Morris Counties. There are a number of towns that meet your requirements but working within your budget I think adding Chatham, Madison, New Providence and Berkeley Heights would increase the opportunity to find a home that would appeal to you. Several of these towns have town home communities that would fall in your price range. The school systemsare all excellent. As far as the communte to NYC/Hoboken is concerned, are you in need of the mid-town direct line bringing you into Penn Station, if so a few of the towns offer more limited service then others.
Regarding the foreclosure/Short Sales are concerned it is a very difficult process and very time intensive, if you are able to stay away from this you would be better off with a cleaner and easier purchase process.
If you would like further information or would like to discuss the various options please feel free to contact me. I have been a realtor in the area for over 18 years and have been a life long resident.

Rochelle Dempsey ABR,SRES,GRI
Lois Schneider Realtor
431 Springfield Ave.
Summit, NJ 07901
rdempsey@lsrnj.com
908-803-9399
I am very familiar with Millburn, on your short list. I can help you there if you would like. Your budget may be realistic in some areas close by and I am happy to assist you with the information you need. Good luck, I am happy to help! http://www.RealShortHills.com.
Surabhi, You can focus on many towns based on your budget and commute. I'd consider, Livingston, Millburn/Short Hills, Madison, Chatham, New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Florham Park, Hanover (Whippany and Cedar Knolls), East Hanover. Most of the towns offer Trains on the Metro Direct line. Livingston does not offer trains but you can either drive to a station or take a bus in. We specialize in the above mentioned towns and can provide you with detailed market trends. Visit our website at http://www.TheShortHillsLife.com
The Millburn/Summit area definitely will fulfill your requirements for great schools and good commute to both NYC and East Hanover. With a budget of $400-$500K your choices will be limited and most likely a condo/townhouse. Feel free to call 201-618-0853 or email spreston@trghome.com for greater detail.
The BEST train commute to NY Penn is from Maplewood/South Orange. That's also where you'll get the most for your money, especially in price range you're looking in. I am a top agent in these towns and would love the opportunity to speak with you more! Please call/email.
Amy Paternite/Coldwell Banker
917-442-5130
apaternite@live.com
http://www.amypaternite.com
Hi Surabhi,
You may consider New Providence/ Berkeley Heights, Chatham, Madison, Livingston and Florham Park as well. How soon are you looking to purchase and when are you available to view homes?

Feel free to call or email me for more info.

Armin Lusinyants
917-626-9420
alusinyants@gmail.com
http://armin.kwrealty.com/
http://armin.yourkwagent.com/
Livingston has excellent schools and more potential homes in your price range.