Home Buying in Westport>Question Details

Mark, Home Buyer in Great Neck, NY

Looking for the 411 on Westport and similar areas

Asked by Mark, Great Neck, NY Mon Jul 16, 2012

Hi, Looking for an artsy, cool-ish community that is commutable to NYC. Having a little down-town with some culture would be preferable. I heard westport might be interesting, but open to other places. Have explored the rivertowns (and like them best of westchester, i didn't like bronxville at all) but wanted a stronger community feel. Can spend 900-1.3M -- and ideally would love something a bit mid-century modern in vibe. Thanks for any pointers.

Answers

7
Betty Stroll’s answer
Hi Mark:

Im originally from Harrison New York, the other side of the Rivertowns. I am very knowledgeable with the towns and their culture.
Westport is an artsy town with tons of things to do both during the week and on weekends.
Id would look into towns similar to Westport like New Canaan, Greenwich, Ridgefield.
I would be delighted to assist you with your search to finding the best place to call home.
Please call me at 203-682-4327 or email me at betty.stroll@raveis.com.

Enjoy your day!

Betty
Mark,
I lived in 2 River towns both Hastings and Irvington for many years & loved being so close to NYC. The trade off is that you get no land. Westport has a similiar vibe as the River towns an artsy urban feel. Access to the LI Sound is a big plus and attracts lots of summer renters.
I suggest you also take a look at New Canaan CT which has a strong community feels and a thriving downtown area. Please feel free to call me for a tour.
Some cool things about New Canaan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Five
http://philipjohnsonglasshouse.org/
Hannelore Kaplan
CHAIRMAN'S ELITE TOP AGENT
NEW CANAAN OFFICE #1 PRODUCER 2011
Mobile: (914) 450-3880
Email: Hannelore.Kaplan@raveis.com
Website: http://hannelore.vflyer.com/home/flyer/home/160844002
William Raveis Real Estate
45 Field Point Road Greenwich CT 06830
4 Elm Street New Canaan CT 06840
Hi Mark--I would say in your price range there are some homes in our area that may appeal to you. I cover Westport, Weston, Wilton, Nowalk, and Greenwich as well as a few others. Yes, that does seem like a lot, but I've been doing this for a long time and my fields have expanded over time. Your budget is certainly a good one. So if I can help you--please let me know.
Regards, Mary Ann Laurita, Prudential CT Realty
I have just the house for you (mid-century modern) in neighboring town of Weston! Just 15 min. to downtown Westport. Enjoy the peace and tranquility of very private 2.4 acres with fabulous pool, bath
house, stone patio. No cookie cutter this! Walls of glass bring nature into every "round corner"! Be the
first to see! Asking $799,000. Call me for viewing. 1-203-856-4131.

Carol Ann Decker
Halstead Property
Westport, Ct.
cdecker@halstead.com
Mark,
If you are passionate about mid-century moderns New Canaan CT is celebrated for modern homes
The Harvard Five was a group of architects that settled in New Canaan, Connecticut in the 1940s: John M. Johansen, Marcel Breuer, Landis Gores, Philip Johnson and Eliot Noyes. Marcel Breuer was an instructor at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, while Gores, Johansen, Johnson and Noyes were students there.[1]
They were all influenced by Walter Gropius, a leader in the Bauhaus movement and the head of the architecture program at Harvard.
The small town of New Canaan is nationally recognized for its many examples of modern architecture. Approximately 100 modern homes were built in town, including Johnson's Glass House and the Landis Gores House, and about 20 have been torn down. Four are now listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places: the Landis Gores House, the Richard and Geraldine Hodgson House, the Philip Johnson Glass House, and the Noyes House.
I would love to show you the wonderful town of New Canaan as well as the current mid-century modern homes on the market.
Hannelore Kaplan
CHAIRMAN'S ELITE TOP AGENT
NEW CANAAN OFFICE #1 PRODUCER 2011
Mobile: (914) 450-3880
Email: Hannelore.Kaplan@raveis.com
Hi, thanks for your reply. I had heard new Canaan might be a bit stepford wives..! But did hear they had great architecture. Also don't want to be too isolated.....Schools are also important as we will have a 5 an 7 year old. I know that's a lot of requirements. Maybe we start with cool modern houses, commutable in great school districts? If you can send me some listings, we could come visit. Thx so much. Mark
Flag Sat Aug 25, 2012
Hi Mark,

Westport is a delight but may be too pricy for comfort. Fairfield is another great beach town but the commute might not work for you. A number of my buyers have fallen in love with the Rowayton section of Norwalk. It's a watefront enclave with a cute downtwon section, very Nantucket and very charming.

Stamford is a city with great restaurants and an active downtown scene. There are some really neat sections here as well. In Greenwich the prices are steeper but your budget will find you options in Old Greenwich - a young and trendy section of the town. And if you want to look North, cast your eyes to Ridgefield. It has a Main Street out of a book on Americana and a very famous modern art museum - The Aldrich too.

Generally, you will get more house for the money in Westchester. But with higher the real estate, sales, property transfer and other taxes is usually is more expensive to live there.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. Jay Cooke
Hi Mark!
Westport is definitely the town to be in. We have a downtown theater (once run by Paul Newman's wife, Joanne Woodward, a long time resident of Westport). We also have free concerts every night
in the summer on the Levitt Pavilion, behind the library, and this coming week-end we have the art
festival on Main Street. We also have two train stations with express trains to NYC (about 1 hour
commute). We do have a mid-century modern listing at $775,000 that needs some work. Hopefully
the link below will open for you with more details:
Click the following URL to see the listings:
http://matrix.ct-mls.com/DE.asp?ID=11140069

I added two more listings, a little out of your price range, but you never know. One of them keeps getting reductions.

If interested in seeing these, please give me a call: 203 722-2230.

Vera Ruud
Westport Realty Group
vruud@wpsir.com
Hi Mark, I grew up in the Westport/Weston area and know it like the back of my hand. I would be happy to assist you in your search and go through all the wounderful things Westport has to offer (to much to type). Feel free to reach out to me anytime @ 917-913-0698.
Flag Mon Jan 5, 2015