Home Buying in Millburn>Question Details

Maggie, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Looking for short sale specialist to help me buy this year!

Asked by Maggie, Brooklyn, NY Sat Jan 12, 2013

I'm curious to see if there are any good deals. I need to move out of my tiny apt as I've gotten married & need more space. Is there anything out there in essex or union county where the taxes are less than $10k a year on short sale or foreclosure? Price range is in low $300k and under. In order of importance, I need a top ranked school district, walkable distance (15-20 mins max) from home to NYC trains/buses, move in ready, 3 bed, 2 bath min. with as little maintenance as possible. Townhomes are ok for me too. Can you recommend homes in towns that are comparable to Montclair, Millburn, Glen Ridge, Maplewood etc? Are these expectations pie in the sky? Please email me with suggestions or possible viewings. Thanks!

Marsha Bowen Washington’s answer
Hi Maggie,

Your request is quite feasible, since you are looking for a top ranked school district, property taxes tend to be higher in those towns. Feel free to send me your email address if I can assist you. I cover the Essex county towns you mentioned above in addition to some Morris county and Union towns.

Pie in the sky....sort of. A short sale home is 99.9% of the time is an as is sale meaning the sellers make no repairs. So move in ready may not be a reasonable expectation. If people are behind on their mortgage its very unlikely they kept up with repairs
There are plenty of towns where you can drive or walk to the train and you don't have to buy a short sale
I am short sale certified and would be happy to explain the process to you with no obligation. Short sales are not for everyone.
O can also help you find something on your price range that will meet most of your requirements.
Give me a call at 908-675-0167 or email me at PruMaryNJ@AOL.com and I cam help explain the entire process and find out what's going to work best for you.

can't email you without your email address!!
In addition to S. Orange and Maplewood, where you will have some options, but not a lot in your price range.......you might consider W. Orange - not only does it offer a bus to Port Authority, but also town jitneys that take you to the Mid Town Direct train into Penn Station.
Would you consider Bloomfield - right next door to Glen Ridge?

I'd be happy to send you listings.and discuss this more in detail!

Please feel free to reach out to me, and check out my website for some useful links to town and commuting informtation:

Best wishes...........
Hi Maggie, the answer is yes, and the towns for you are Maplewood & South Orange. I know of a colonial home in the low 300's, 3 bed, 2 bath, taxes under $10k, walk to train... and it's not a short sale. I'd be happy to send you some good options and give you a tour of Maplewood and South Orange. My cell: (908) 319-3787. All the best, JP
Have you considered Morris County? It's not that much further and towns like Hanover have very good tax rates. I have my short sale and foreclosure resource (SFR) designation and specialize in short sales. I would be happy to help you if you email me at smacdowell@kw.com. I do some work in Essex County, most in Morris County. I would be happy to search for you in Union County as well.
Answer is yes!
Contact info is jonathancitron@kw.com.
Let the communication begin.
Jonathan (973)727-7095
(And, oh, I am very familiar with your areas of interest.)