Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Teri Frantz, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Looking for neighborhoods that have large lots (.5 acres ) in NW Austin with a 20 min. commute from National Instruments, near the Domain.

Asked by Teri Frantz, Austin, TX Thu Jul 5, 2012

Prefer west of mopac and avoid pflugerville isd. We have found Angus Valley and Hidden Estates...are there anymore?

Answers

16
Hi Teri,

The challenge with Hidden Estates is that the homes are too close to Mopac, the rail line, and the quarry (lots of dust). They are pricey for having to deal with noise (and vibrations from the trains). They are very convenient, but you have to consider what's going to be developed around it, especially to the north.

Angus Valley is also close to the rail line, and an area that has challenges appreciating in value, both due to the rail line, and the inconsistency in home maintenance by surrounding neighbors.

There are other locations, some of the best will be west of 183.

Call me to discuss, so I know what your parameters are, and I can forward a list of the best matches for your needs.

Jeffrey
512-913-7480
Schnabeljs@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
I re-ran the search excluding Pflugerville, there are nine homes right now with .50 of an acre or more. These homes all have at least 3 beds and 2 baths and are all priced under $400K. There are nine homes with an vaerage of one acre. Most are half acre homes, two homes have two acres and one has nine acres! A few neighborhoods to consider are: Tanglewood Estates, Damon/The Place, Whippoorwill Acres, and as I mentioned before Angus Valley. If you need further help please give me a call.

Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
Two blocks over from my house in Avery Ranch on Staked Plains Loop there are a handful of homes (two for sale) with larger than normal lot sizes. This area works for your distance to work, is an excellent neighborhood, excellent schools, great standard of living, lots of amenities.

Joe Casey
Keller Williams / Selling Austin
http://www.facebook.com/SellingAustin
http://www.sellingaustin.net
512-800-1316
There are also homes on larger lots built in neighborhoods with typically smaller lots. What I am referring to is the cul de sac lots in many subdivisions are typically bigger than normal. For example I have a home listed for sale in Qwest Village where 95% of the lots are .20 of an acre. However the home I have listed for $185900 is a cul de sac lot that is larger around .30 or more. Do you require a home in a neighborhood where all of the lots are a half acre? Please let me know if I can help.

sincerely,
Betina

Austin Home Girls Realty
Really impressed with your knowledge! Currently we are looking for neighborhoods and not quite ready for the home choice this quarter.I will be contacting those who gave neighborhood suggestions when we are ready, again, really impressed!
Teri no worries. I'm out either looking at property or showing property almost daily, all throughout central, west and northwest Austin. The area you mentioned is considered Northwest. Avery Ranch is a wonderful community, my wife and I live there and our kids go to one of the best schools in the region. I'd be happy to show you around, no obligation.

It's really a matter of preference and budget here in Austin as our market is moving with only about 4.3 months of inventory in a given area. Sellers in many cases are getting 90-95% of asking price and well staged and priced right homes won't last more than 35 days!

Again, let me know if I can be of assistance in your search. I'll be out showing property this afternoon however my cell is always on (512) 800-1316.

Joe Casey
Keller Williams / Selling Austin
http://www.facebook.com/SellingAustin
http://www.sellingaustin.net
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hey Teri,
Yes there are more. As a colleague before me said. It's quite easy to find. I located 12 properties with a basic 1/2 acre minimum lot excluding Pflugerville ISD.
This excludes any pocket listings not available in MLS. For a free market-watch report, feel free to search listing on my page or for more detailed options, I'll be glad to discuss details of your home search. Choices are out there, just depends on what you're looking for.

Give me a shout to start if you're not already working with a Realtor.
Have a fantastic evening -

Felix - Realtor®
Mobile • 512-585-8381 (after 6pm family time, thanks!)
Website • http://felix.austinhousereport.com/
• Nationally ranked by - The Wallstreet Journal
• Ranked by - The Austin Business Journal
Pretty easy to get you set up on a search for homes on lots, over .5 acres. Congratulations on starting the new home search.

Charles Runnels
Real Estate Nerd
Presidio Group Realtors
512.914.0183 m
Teri, As one agent mentioned, to assist you properly I would need more information such as price range, desired square footage, et cetera, et cetera. If you're not you're working with a Realtor, I would be happy to represent you as I represent buyers at NO cost to you and am on the top agents here in Austin.
Please click on my photo and review my credentials and client testimonials, and let me know if I may be of some assistance. Also, I set my clients up with a great personalized website that gives you direct access to the MLS, so you can see every property that fits your criteria and be updated daily with new listings, price drops, etc. It is a great tool and it will show you every single property that might work for you and your family. I look forward to hearing from you!
Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor
512-261-4415
I can show you homes in the Cedar Park and Avery Ranch communities that have larger than average lots and in great neighborhoods! Call to schedule a showing.

Joe Casey
Keller Williams / Selling Austin
https://www.facebook.com/SellingAustin
http://www.sellingaustin.net
(512) 800-1316
To answer your question without more info is a difficult thing to do. I can find homes that meet the 1/2 acre requirement. But without more info of your needs, it would be a wild goose chase.
Answer these questions and I will be able to find your next home.

1, price

2. Square footage.

3.Number of bed rooms and baths

4. Number of floors 1 story, 2 story?

5. Style of home.

6. Age of home

7. When do you want to make the purchase?

8. Any other things your may require in your next home. Game room, Media room, office, Mother in law plan.

Feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you find your new home.

Wade Funkhouser
John Horton Realty
Lic# 0507516
512-577-0346
wadefunkhouser!gmail.com
McNeil Estates also has acre plus lots and is close to Hidden Estates. Currently there is one house for sale on Secluded Hollow . I live in that neighborhood and it is very nice.

Hank
Hi Teri,

I live in that area and know all about it. Email me directly at Dan@JBGoodwin.com and I will email you back all the homes available in the area you are looking for that are 1/2 acre and above. Also let me know your price range so I can define your search better. No obligation, happy to help.

Dan Burstain, Realtor
JB Goodwin, REALTORS
Dan@JBGoodwin.com
Teri, Depending on your budget, there are some great, large, private lots in both Westminster Glen and Glenlake off of City Park Road (near 360/2222 interchange). Most of these properties have outstanding hill country views.

Kindly let me know if you want to look in this area...

Steve

Steve Kupec
Avalar Austin
Steve@AvalarAustin.com
Forest North is a geat choice. Give me a call I can help.
Jon Kasner 512-331-1163
jekasner@swbell.net
Teri,

There are many properties available across NW Austin and into Cedar Park which have 1/2 acre or larger lots. As for the areas where the whole subdivision is 1/2 acre or larger, those are limited.

I can set up a search for you to pick out those properties which would meet what you are seeking.

Teri-
What's your budget? There are some homes with oversize lots in NW Austin neighborhoods that would meet your criteria - Lakewood Park, a few in Great Hills, and a few others.

Forest North Estates is a great established neighborhood that lets you get in to NW Austin with larger lots at a more reasonable price point. They are still large, but a touch less than 0.5 ac - most are in the 0.35-0.45ac range. Lot layout and house placement really have more of an impact on how large your lots 'feels' more than acerage itself. I would not rule anything out just by the lot size that is at least 0.35ac until you have driven the area to see if it meets your desires for space/privacy.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any other assistance.

Tim