Home Buying in Fontana>Question Details

Mari, Home Buyer in Rialto, CA

Looking for my 1st home and also an agent that will not be overwhelmed by all my questions, concerns and what is best for my family. Please help?

Asked by Mari, Rialto, CA Thu Jan 9, 2014

Answers

14
Ask friends and family in the area for recommendations! When you do contact an agent tell them your concerns they should be able to answer your questions and be friendly and professional and not overwhelmed! Buying your first home is a huge commitment so don't be afraid to ask questions!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 25, 2014
Hi, Mari!
I specialize in first-time buyers! I can help you. I am patient, and knowledgeable about the home buying process! Please look at my Trulia profile, as well as my website for more information about me!
Contact me today to get started!

Nicole Fedorchek, Tarbell Realtors
714-914-5097
realtornicolef@gmail.com
http://www.nicolefedorchek.com
Buying a home for the first time is daunting. Finding an agent you can work with and trust is the first step.

There are plenty of blogs/guides/books on home buying. Do your homework and read up on home buying in general and specifically on the part your are doing such as finding an agent, picking homes to tour, making an offer, negotiations, escrow, closing and all the details involved. Ask people you know about their experience and what surprised them each step of the way.

Remember only you along with your family can decide what what is best for you. An agent can make recommendations or suggestions. They aren't you, and aren't going to live there. What an agent can do is explain the process of buying, the pros/cons of each home you look at. This can take time. If schools are important to you then pick the acceptable schools as primary criteria. That will allow you to focus on the areas that work for you.

Interview agents. Make a list of questions to ask them about their service, how they work and their experience with first time buyers. Find someone who is experienced and that you can work with. If you feel intimidated or uneasy with any agent then don't consider them. I'm happy with email/text communication so one of my criteria for an agent is how they communicate. Their response to my call/email initially tells me about their timeliness and communication skills.

Having relocated many times in the last 30 years we have bought and sold 10 homes. Our first goal in the process of finding a new home was to find a local, well connected and well respected realtor that we could work with. Sometimes personalities or working styles don't mesh. We tend to be proactive and like to pick the homes to tour. Back in the days when listings were published in a book (not online) we liked to look at the book to pick. Some agents didn't like that . We passed on them.

Look at the sold listings in your search area. You will likely see a couple of agencies and agents that show up frequently. They might be a starting place.

My husband and I have come up with a method of house hunting that works for us. I like research and he likes to see only vetted agents and homes. I will speak with agents and make a 2-3 agent list to interview further with my husband. We ask the agent to show us 2 homes to see how they work. When we look at homes, I tour homes Thursday/Friday and then bring hubby to anything that looks interesting on Saturday/Sunday. Some agents balked at this and wanted both of us all the time. That is a deal killer for me.

Speak to a lender (or two) to discuss what you can afford to buy. No need to look at homes that you can't get a mortgage on.

Know your wants and wishes in a home. Know what is the minimum you can live with in terms of location, size, bedrooms and other pertinent details. We make a list at the beginning of the house hunt with bedrooms, baths, size and preferred area. Then we make a list of things we would like to have such as covered patio, upgraded kitchen, move in ready, fixer or what out wants/likes are at the time. We evaluate each home on the criteria list. We print a list for each home and note the information. Some house hunts were quick and some like in 2009 were long and tedious. We ended up with a huge binder of properties.

Most first time buyers have a huge list of wants. Sometimes they get them and sometimes they discover that they aren't as important as they want.
Hello Mari,

How is the house hunting going???

Kawain Payne, Realtor/Notary
Mari,

Congrats on making the decision to buy a home. You should ask friends and people you know for a recommendation. I am sure you probably know some of the Agencies in your area, interview a few agents to see who is a good fit for you and your family.
An experienced agent will consult with you, and the expectation is that you will have lots of questions. By you asking the questions the agent will be in a better position to evaluate your needs.

Best wishes with your home buying process.
Hello Mari,

Congrats on deciding to buy a home of your own.

As a first time buyer you had better ask a lot of questions. Buying a home is a big step. You will need to select an agent you feel you can trust to be there with you every step of the way.

Talk to friends and family, ask them who they worked with. Also take time to read the profiles of the agents who answer your question on Trulia. You just may find an agent you feel will be a good fit for you.

I wish you the very best!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Hello Mari
I would be more than happy to answer all you questions.I know Fontana very well because I am always working in this area. I love to help first time homebuyers because it is very important for you to know all the details and feel comfortable with your first purchase, I can help with that. You can reach me at 909821-4282 or email me: Kcatalina1@aol.com
Mari,

You are already on the right track. By using Trulia to get a sense of which agents "speak your language" you can really get a great head start. I will attest that there are some really wonderful, professional people on this forum. For the most part, they contribute because they care and because they hope to earn your business. As a consumer, that's a huge advantage for you, so exploit it.

I'm on the finance side here in the Bay Area, and happy to help with any questions.

Best of luck!

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Hi Mari,

I know Fontana very well. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding real estate. I am licensed with T-REx Real Estate Services my BRE is 01854118. My name is Michael Campbell and you can reach me at 909-243-5454 or email me mikecampbell@trexre.com. If you would like references or any of my profiles I will be more than happy to provide them. But the first thing is ask your questions so you feel well informed and comfortable with the process.
Hello Mari,

Are you relocating to San Bernardino County? If so, I'd be happy to work with you. You can check my profiles on Trulia, Zillow, Facebook and LinkedIn. I work frequently with first time buyers as well as buyers that are purchasing their 2nd or 3rd home.
Our first meeting would be primarily a question and answer as well as an introduction to the process of home buying 101.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
You need a really good team.
Good real estate agent.
Good lender.
I love first time homebuyers because you do ask lots of questions and it keeps me fresh and relevant.
Direct your lending questions to me: claudia@divmg.com
We can work on this together and have you experienced prior to getting into your first home!!
I would be more than happy to help you through everything. Just email me with any questions and I can answer them.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Mari in San Jose,
Soon you will read many responses from Fontana Realtors offering to assist you.
-
What you will discover is real estate professionals are in this business to help folks JUST LIKE YOU!
Most understand a major component to our success is the process of providing the proper level of instruction and information to home buyers. This education process for most agents has become highly developed over the years.
-
Please exercise patience. You will find, if you allow the agent to follow their agenda, the content will fully answer your questions. Those that are missed can be presented to your agent as needed. If the process begins with your questions the continuity will be disrupted and important things will be missed or be prepared for redundancy.
-
Expect to have provided to you:
1. Setting goals, expectations and requirements
2. Finances
3. The contract
4. The art of negotiation
5. The process
6. Preparing for closing
7. Accounts to open, close, transfer and terminate
8. Wire Transfer
9. what to bring to closing.
Behind these volumes of information are mountains of responsibilities, due dilegnce and tasks your agent will complete that you will never see, they will never talk about and will be done usually while you sleep. Your agent, will not be sleeping.
-
On your team are, you, your agent, mortgage broker, title agent, and nearly 46 others in wide ranging capacities, you will never meet.
-
Chat with your agent first. Your agent will direct you to the resouces that have a historic record of success for people just like you, who have purchased real estate just like your.
Don't do it backwards.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://FIrstLookHomes.us.
Ask people you may know for referrals, or contact and interview a few agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best. If purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.