Home Buying in Westfield>Question Details

Rich, Both Buyer and Seller in Ashburn, VA

Looking for great upscale nj town with a reasonable NYC commute.....on a budget

Asked by Rich, Ashburn, VA Tue Jan 1, 2013

We are thinking about moving from the DC suburbs to NJ. Currently we live in a nice planned community in a 7 year old home. I may move to nj for my job in New York (NYC) . We had lived in Summit before, but know we really cannot afford it and get what we want.

So I was wondering where people might suggest, here are our parameters:

1. Single family home under 800k
2. Family friendly neighborhood with good schools
3. "Reasonable" commute to midtown
4. Home somewhat compares to ours(again our house is 2800 sq ft plus a finished basement) and is less than 10 years old
5. Close to nice shopping (would be great to have an nj type train town)

I have been looking online at Princeton junction (am worried about the length of commute), westfield, and rumson......so as you can see I havent a clue.

Let me know what people think....

Thanks - rich

Answers

17
Diane Vanvliet’s answer
Hi Rich..

I would suggest Rumson, Fair Haven, Little Silver and Monmouth Beach...great family upscale towns..great commute by boat 45 minutes to lower NYC..Great schools....

Please give me a call at your convenience,

Miles of smiles

Diane, 732. 759 2376
Happy New Year Rich!
This is an exciting way to start off the new year...new job...new house...
I am just as excited to help you find THE right place!

Westfield definitely fits your parameter list - & I'm a little biased as I live here as well. I chose Westfield 20 years ago for most of the same reasons & have never been disappointed! However, there are some other options - Cranford, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Mountainside, Berkeley Heights & New Providence. There are also options a little further out that I could help you with but if you want to keep your commute manageable I would try closer than Princeton Junction (although a beautiful area).

Please feel free to contact me anytime. I do real estate full-time in New Jersey so I'm always available to assist you, answer any questions & get you the information you need.

Rose

Rosemarie Hughes
Sales Associate
908-403-5145
David Realty Group
rose@davidrealtygroup.com
rosehugheshomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 2, 2013
Hi Rich,

I'm a local Westfield agent-Westfield is a great town with a lot to offer. There is a limited inventory in newer construction in the less than 800k price range; however there are some nicely updated homes that may be worth a look.

Click here for a sampling of Westfield homes- http://goo.gl/89yjg

Sampling of homes in nearby towns- http://goo.gl/hRtzZ

I would be happy to set up a home tour to see homes in Westfield and nearby towns with NYC bus/train.

Hope this is helpful!

Best Wishes,

Lisette Guzman
908-494-7178
lgsells@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 1, 2013
Hi Rich,
Princeton and neighboring areas are very popular with NY commuters that offers trains to Penn Station midtown and buses to Port Authority midtown. I am an Agent in the Princeton and neighboring areas and will be happy to help. You can contact me directly at
Tel: 609-606-5077
Email: sweta_ganai@yahoo.com

Best wishes,
Sweta
Suggest Somerset County communities - newer homes in a community setting can be found in all three of these towns. I can help you explore/compare/contrast opportunities in these towns as well as Union ( would include Westfield...) and Morris Counties.

Here to help...

Best, Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.FeenickHomes.com
Hii Rich, I have a house that you may be very interested in. Single fam $759K 10 minutes to midtown Manhattan. Please call me to set up an appointment for showing. Jay Garcia
201-888-5328. bestrate4@gmail.com
Happy New Year Rich,

Based on your criteria, in terms of commuting time, here are some train towns you can consider Morris Plains and Morristown. Both towns are within a hour commute to NYC, and close to shopping malls and shopping centers.

Below are some links to both towns that you review. I can assist you in both towns and other nearby towns that fit your criteria. Livingston Township would be another town to consider, however you will need to take a jitney bus from the Livingston Mall to the local train station which is located in South Orange.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Morris-Plains-New-Jersey.html

http://www.morristown-nj.org/

Best of luck to you,
Hi Rich
Denville is a great town with good schools, a train to mid town direct,a down town with shopping and restaurantrs.

I would be happy to send you listings if you provide me with your e mail.

Regards,Carolle Donofrio
cadonof@aol.com
973-960-8002
Hi Rich
Happy New Year! My brother lives in Ashburn Va., so I am familiar with the area you are coming from. My suggestions would be Westfield, Scotch Plains, Mountainside, Berkeley Heights and New Providence.
These towns offer a reasonable commute, and top-rated schools.
Being a full-time career agent, and life-long resident- my neighborhood knowledge will be an asset to you.
Please contact me anytime and I will be happy to provide you with any information you require.
Vivian Cortese-Strano
Broker/Salesperson
Weichert Realtors
185 Elm St.
Westfield, NJ 07090
908-612-4650
Rich,

Choosing your location is very important -- coming here from out of state, I can understand why it's a bit overwhelming. In addition to your daily commute, it sounds like schools are also of importance to you and your family. You've lived in Summit, and, as you've mentioned, it is expensive; so I would suggest Westfield as an alternative worth considering. I both live and work here in Westfield; my kids have gone through the school system -- I'd be happy to share my experiences here in Westfield, as well as some other facts and statistics about our housing options (new construction, as well as many charming older homes that have been renovated).

Please contact me and I'd be happy to talk to you more about Westfield (or other Towns I serve, including Mountainside, Berkeley Heights, and New Providence).

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential NJ Properties-Westfield
Cell/Text: 908-456-0779
mholdafleck@comcast.net
In addition to Westfield, u should consider Mountainside (just north of Westfield) and Watchung (just north of scotch Plains). Or even the Morristown area. I too am a Westfield agent who sells in 6 counties....including Morris, Somerset (e.g. Watchung, Basking Ridge, Bridgewater, etc), Middlesex (eg Edison, Metuchen), Essex (Livingston, Millburn), Hunterdon, and of course, Union County.

I am happy to discuss your needs by phone initially if that is more convenient for u. Just call me on my cell.... 732-423-2792

Teri Malone, Keller Williams
Hello Rich;
To help you narrow your house hunting areas I'd suggest first you visit two sites: NJ TRANSIT to get a visual map of the train lines serving NYC from NJ - Midtown Direct and Boonton/Montclair have the short direct service into Penn Station. Once you have your train line, check the commute (departure/arrival) times from the stations into NYC.
Then Google or Bing each town's website along that particular line for general information. Your second site will be to GSMLS (Garden State Mulitple Listing Service), enter your search criteria to see what properties will meet your criteria.
Although we are at a year end low inventory levels, you should get a general idea of the style and type of housing each area has to offer.
There are two more optional internet sites you may find useful: NJ School Report Card - data for each school district, and "Patch" or Online" for a more back-fence taste of towns...e.g. MaplewoodPatch.com.
The more searching and researching you can do on the internet the easier your decision making and/or house hunting will be.
I hope the above is helplul - please email or text if I can be of further help.
Laura
laura.auer1@verizon.net
908 577-7821 - cell/text
Rich,
Fortunately you do have a few choices. I would add Basking Ridge, Warren and Watchung to the mix. They are approximately 20-25 minutes further than the Summit commute you are familiar with however they would offer the housing stock that matches relatively closely to what you currently own. They are slightly more rural in nature than the other towns mentioned previously. My advice would be to talk to an agent who is knowledgeable of the areas mentioned and ask the questions you want to ask and answer the questions a good agent needs to ask you. If you feel that I would be able to help you feel free to email me at c21newbeg@aol.com or call at 908-500-0116. Best of luck with your search.
A single fam or condo may be good for you. The commuters that are working in NYC are living in Hoboken, North Bergen, West New York or Edgewater NJ. If you're ready to choose between Single fam or a condominium within your price range I will happy to point you in the right direction. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Mobile # 201-888-5328 bestrate4@gmail.com
Westfield, Summit, Millburn, Cranford are common suggestions but New Providence and Berkeley Heights are well kept secrets. New Providence was named as the best school system in NJ. Morristown, Madison, also great choices. See my albums, "So you think you've seen NJ' on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Edith.ReMax
http://www.eangelo.remax-nj.com/
Great pick of the 3 towns you mentioned. One that I can help you with is Westfield. It's where I live and chose to open my own brokerage. This town does give you a bit more for your money than Summit does but it sounds like you may be able to find something in your price range with your description.
Call or email me anytime - I would love to help you discover Westfield! You can also search for homes on my website referenced below. Hope to hear from you!

Lorena Barbosa
Broker/Owner
David Realty Group
201-638-6528
lorena@davidrealtygroup.com
Westfield is a wonderful community with a lot to offer! If you would like me to email you available listings, as well as information about the community and schools, please email me at sharon.steele@cbmoves.com. I would love to show you all that is wonderful about Westfield!