Home Buying in Minneapolis>Question Details

Tonybasu, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

Looking for detached townhome or single family .

Asked by Tonybasu, Minneapolis, MN Fri Jul 23, 2010

Under 325K 5-10 yrs old Good Public school district. Wife work south Edina and myself Fridley. Wana live close to wife job location. What are the best places to look for ? I want places like Wayzata/Mounds view school district. (Good academics and extracurricular)

Answers

13
Alan Manz’s answer
Tonybasu - Don't sign any agreement until you fully understand the various forms of agency and the fiduciary duties of a licensed sales person. Do you know the difference between a broker, a sales person or a "Realtor"? We can meet in Plymouth and I can answer all your questions.

Al Manz, Broker - Luketeamrealestate@gmail.com
Hi Tony,
Just to comment on your second post, Apple Valley may be a further commute to Edina than you are likely looking for, particularly if you will be travelling during rush hour. Depending on your location in Eagan, again may be a bit further than you would want but from the northwestern part of Eagan MAY be able to get it done within 15 minutes. The commute for you to Fridley however will likely be a long one from both Apple Valley or Eagan I am afraid...
Of the latest 3 cities you mentioned, Eden Prairie would be the closest and quickest commute to Edina, does have a good and comparable school district, and you should not have any issues locating a home in your price range. If you are open to perhaps a bit older home, that will greatly increase the available inventory to choose from and there are many homes even in Edina that have extensive updating and remodeling that would likely meet your needs. You will find more newer built homes in Eden Prairie and Plymouth, and again areas of Plymouth would be in the Wayzata school district. From the southerly part of Plymouth your wife could commute right down 494 into Edina and it would likely be a 15-20 minute commute for her, and actually not too much further into Fridley from that location. All the areas I mentioned in my first response would offer a 15-20 minute commute or less to Edina and would make an equally efficient commute to Fridley as well. Although some of those areas were initially developed earlier and have predominantly older homes, many have had updates and have been remodeled and I think would offer great alternatives to a newer built homes too for you to consider, particularly when looking for a quick commute. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance and I hope you find what you are looking for!
Tony, may I ask why you don't interview and hire an agent to help you with this search? An agent would be able to look up and set up showings for you on the appropriate properties. That way, you could shop with one agent who knows your needs and will become your personal shopper. The answers you'll get on this forum will be general rather than specific. You'll need to request someone's professional attention to actually start looking at some places to narrow your options and make a decision.

As for schools, I'd say you should look at that information on your own. It's been my experience that unless an agent has had their own children in a school district, they would have no way of knowing specifics. So, you're going to get very general answers from this forum about such a wide array of schools. Here's a great website to check out the aspects of schools that are important to YOU!
http://education.state.mn.us/ReportCard2005/index.do

Hi Thanks all for answering my questions.
Again my wife works in Edina (France Ave S and I-494 intersection) and myself Fridley. We want a place within 15-20 mins to my wife's workplace.. We are looking for detached townhomes or small single family house 3 bed 2 bath; 1995 built -2010 built. We will put 25% downpayment or more downpayment.
Criteria List in order of priority:
15 mins drive to Edina.(France Ave S and I-494 intersection)
Good school districts comparable to Wayzata, Eden Prarie (academics, extra curricular)
Our max budget 325K.
1995 built -2010 built homes (single family or detached townhome)
Reasonable commute to Fridley.

How is Eagan, Eden Prarie, Apple Valley school districts compare to Wayzata?
Find a agent that knows the area, is full time and that agent will make your housing dream come true at no cost to you.

Find one that serves you!

There are many fine agents out there that would love to help you.
Tony,

You have some good answers here. Let me add to it .. .. .

The Wayzata SD is the highest rated school district in the metro, followed closely by Andover schools, Elk River and then I believe Anoka/Hennepin #11. Moundsview is not really up there. I have had buyers that will ONLY purchase a home within the Wayzata SD because of their rating, and that is fine. But let me advise you as far as what are going to be able to purchase (dollars per square foot) and the appreciation, some of the areas around Andover should give you a huge appreciation return over the years, and much better than other areas.

I have some excellent data and a very thorough report that was recently published that I use on a daily basis with buyers and sellers. If you would like a copy please let me know and I can email it over to you in a couple of seconds. It is very detailed, but excellent.

Also, Carolyn mentioned the School House Magazine (she is an AWESOME agent!). But even better than the magazine, I can get you the links to a couple of incredible websites where you can compare the academics, the schools scores (as compared to surrounding school districts and even the state and the national averages), and a lot more. Again, just mention that, too, in your email and I'll look those up for you.

Mark
Highway 100 makes a great commute route to both cities. I would stick fairly close to that. 169 never seems to work very well any time, especially bad in rush hour.

Love to help you find a home.
Web Reference: http://HomeByFriday.com
OK, good to have done your homework, Tony. I would say take a look at Plymouth, Minnetonka (though not too far West), maybe even New Brighton/Mounds View, Wayzata, places like that. But, the most important thing is to make sure your mortgage piece is in order and find yourself the appropriate real estate agent who can make sure you are finding what you're looking for. Some of the real estate websites are not as complete as the information agents can provide for you.

Not to mention navigating through the tricky waters of a real estate transaction can be risky. So, you may as well have professional working for you.
Go here and search, http://bradanderson.yourkwagent.com/atj/user/AdditionalGetAc…
If you have an agent, have them set you up on an auto email.
If you haven't yet, see if you can get your hands on a copy of School House Magazine, an annual publication that compares Minnesota school districts (many real estate offices have them accessible) . It will help you narrow down which school district to pursue, there are many great school districts in the Western Metro. Wayzata is a fabulous, award-winning school district, but there are others in the area with similar credentials; the more open-minded you are, the more options you will have.
Great locations to consider include Edina, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Plymouth, Golden Valley, Hopkins and St. Louis Park. All of these areas would be convenient for your commutes and offer excellent school districts. Areas of Plymouth as well as areas of Minnetonka will be included in the Wayzata school district, and you could also opt to enroll in neighboring districts. Hopkins and Minnetonka school districts are also excellent and parts of Golden Valley are located within the Hopkins district as well. Having resided in the western suburbs I am very familiar with these locations and can vouch for all of their excellent neighborhoods and convenient location!

jennifer@minnesotarealty.net
http://www.MinnesotaRealty.net
http://www.1stPlace.info
Tony,
There are currently only 4 "detached " homes in Plymouth which would be in the Wazata School District. None in Mounds view. They range from 299k-369K. They look quite lovely. Plymouth would be a perfect commute for your wife, Fridley, not so bad either. Email me your email address and I will send you the info on these.

Helen@homesforheroes.com
Some other great locations: E.P, Plymouth, Medina, Golden Valley, St. Louis Park, Minnetonka