Ameeta Shah, Home Buyer in Virginia

Looking for an investment home

Asked by Ameeta Shah, Virginia Sun Nov 13, 2011

Hi I am looking for a small investment/rental property in the Fairfax county. Any advice regarding location and rental value?

Answers

10
Ameeta,

It depends in what your budget is.

You can use different approaches to find your ideal investment property :

*.- Close to DC, during this market contraction the areas closer to DC were one of the areas where the market did not contract as much and usually renters are willing to pay a little extra to avoid the commute.

*.- Return on Investment (ROI), this one is almost the opposite as the previous one, you will have to find properties that are Short Sales or REO that are at historic lows regarding value. They might not be more appealing properties but usually you can buy them at a really good price and your return on the rental is usually high.

At this moment there are really good opportunities but you must find the right combination between purchase price and rental income.

Good Luck,

Rosina
Ameeta,

Location is the most important as always. Also, a fixer upper will typically provide more initial advantage provided you have contractors etc. who are a good value. This type of investment property will also take a little more effort!

I look forward to helping you!

Kind Regards,

Erik J. Weisskopf,ABR,CDPE,CRS,GRI
Erik@AskMeAboutHomes.com
703.216.1222
Hi Ameeta,

Here is the link with some.. You may research more if you like.

http://tiny.cc/aym0m

Let me know if you like to do Investment analysis with you to define which one is best return on investment!

Cheers
Monika
703 626 3327
Info@realtygeeks.com
Web Reference: http://forsaleinreston.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011
Can you define "small"? Have you researched how you will finance the property? What are your goals? Long term investment return? Cash flow? Are you likely to occupy the property in the furture? Are you handy around the house? Would like to be hands on or hands off....The cold water is not working on the clothes washer..."call for service" or "I'm on my way...."?
Web Reference: http://www.VirginiaMLS.com
Ameeta, real estate investing is driven by two things, cash flow and return on investment and both need to be managed for risk. When you analyze the numbers on each property, the better investments jump right out at out - and you'll also know which ones aren't good investments. The highest returns also come from buying properties that are not "lendable" and adding value through repairs. The bigger the repairs, the higher the profit tends to be.

I am an agent/investor and specialize in helping clients and investor buy and renovate foreclosed and distressed properties. I would be happy to talk to you more about what you are looking for. Particularly, if you give me the price range you want to be in and location, I'll do the rest and find the best properties available. I'll put together a mini business plan for each property with the expected returns for you to make a solid analysis of the properties.

You can check out the website below to see some of the properties I've done for clients. Those properties are for retail clients so they are nicely renovated and the video is one of my investment properties. If you are buying and renovating to rent, the quality of the reno will be very different and I can talk you through that when the time comes.

Chris
Hello Ameeta:

This is truly a good time to invest in a property since the prices are still fairly low. Before you go ahead and search for a property, you must connect with a knowledgeable Realtor who have experience with investment real estate.
Your agent can guide you in the right direction with purchase opportunities depending on your preferable price and other criteria. Knowing rental market is also another thing you need to keep in mind before putting an offer on a property.
If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer them, please feel free to call me at 703-389-7973 or email: falvi@pwrealty.com
Good luck~

Faiza Alvi - Realtor®
Prince William Realty, Inc.
703-389-7973 (Direct)
703-580-9995 (Fax)
Web Reference: http://www.house2homeva.com
Are you looking for a multi-family property? If so, you will need to consult a commercial real estate broker. That's another specialty, not on Trulia, and the cap rate world is totally different. If you are interested, I know of a good one: I've used him myself. Just E-mail me if you are interested.

About location, sought-after school districts, proximity to major employment centers, and close to Metro are the three major factors in Northern Virginia. That's why Arlington, where I live, has high prices and very few foreclosures.

One thing about rents: unless you luck out with a foreclosure in the least sought after portion of Fairfax County, the southern portion of the Route 1 corridor, you will not have positive cash flow on your investment for at least seven years. If you need positive cash flow, you will be more likely to find this in Prince William or Stafford counties. If you decide you need this, again, you may E-mail me for Realtor suggestions.
Ameeta,

1) What is your price range? 2) You should live no more than one hour drive - or less - from your investment property so you can check on it frequently, unless you have someone else to do it for you.
I would be delighted to meet with you in person to discuss investment opportunities in Northern Virginia. Feel free to contact me directly.
Ameeta,

There are opportunities for investment properties in Fairfax County. The good ones do not stay on the market more than a few days so you need to be in a position to move quickly with an offer. I am partial to the Fort Belvoir area because of the military rental prospects. If you would like more information and listings sent to you by email, please let me know. I would be happy to assist.

Most sincerely,

Janet Lange
Hi Ameeta,

There are several good investment possibilities in the area; however, they don't stay on the market for very long. I have found some good properties in Centreville, Penderbrook, and Herndon/Reston. However, the right investment depends on your personal goals. Are you paying all Cash? How long would you want to hold on to the property? How much money are you willing to put into the property (assuming its a fixer-upper). I can send you a list of great investment properties in the area if interested, just let me know.

Mo A. Hashem
Mo@HashemRealtyGroup.com
(571)235-0021