Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Alison, Real Estate Pro in Atlanta, GA

Looking for affordable area commutable to West Village in under 1 hour. $250k

Asked by Alison, Atlanta, GA Sat May 3, 2008

Hi. I am relocating to the NYC area. I am married and have a 1 year old son. I am looking for suggestions of areas to live in a single family home for less than $250k. I am open to fixer uppers, transitional neighborhoods, and a longer commute if the house was right. Areas I have considered so far are Jersey city, East Orange, Clinton and everything in between! Would love more ideas. Prefer the country but am resigning myself to city living! Currently live downtown Atlanta.

Answers

6
WHAT?!?!?

Paul, seriously. how about this? You can start anywhere you want in Rockland county, and you can take any ground transportation, at any time of day you want and I'll bet you $1k that you cannot reach the west village in 20 mins. From a sizeable portion of Rockland county, you couldn't reach NJ or Westchester in 20 mins.
From Clinton, you couldn't get to the west village in an hour with a helicopter. Marc Paolella responds to posts in the NJ area and seems to be very honest in terms of commuting times. I've found that nearly all the responses of commuting time on this site are hopelessly optimistic to plain out false. Check train schedules and bus schedules on NJTransit website, etc and then add 5+ mins to each train time as they're always late arriving at Penn Station in the morning. The buses that get to the city by 7:30 I've heard good things about, but once things start backing up in the tunnels, its gets rough. The PATH is your best bet to the west village, so you may be able to drive to a PATH station, and take that in, or take NJ Transit to a PATH station. Try posting this in New Jersey area for more accurate answers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2008
Yes, I second Staten Island as a good choice to consider-- the St. George area is up and coming-- great views of the city-- if you are close enough to the ferry, you can walk. I grew up on Staten Island, so I may be a bit biased. Good luck in your search. If you have specific questions, call me 646-714-2720
Hey Alison,

I would suggest for you to consider Staten Island, there is a great 2bedroom apartment right on St. George for under 200K, the ferry is free and the area is becoming a great place for artists . In addition, there are alot of Museums, including Staten Island botanical gardens, children's museum. The ferry is half hour to get to the city, by the time you get to the city via, the 1 R N W 4 5 6 it will take you about 15 to 20 mins to get to the West village.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to contact me.

Caesar Galindo
Prosperity Real Estate Group
(1718) 698-2179
Cgalindo@prosperityREG.com
(646)302-1470
From Rockland County, the best you could do is reach the upper west side in 40-45 minutes. It will take exactly 1 hour from Rockland to Grand Central in ideal conditions if you take Metro North from Tarrytown (the morning commute will be closer to 1.5 hours to Grand Central). Westchester is about15-20 minutes from West Nyack.
Hello Alison,

If you like the country feel, you might want to look at Rockland County. It is only about 20 min away from Manhattan. Check this site out. http://www.prudentialrand.com/
I do work for Prudential but not for this branch. Please let me know if there is anything else I could do for you.
Web Reference: http://www.elliman.com/pcm