Home Buying in Whittier>Question Details

Mary Bustama…, Real Estate Pro in Whittier, CA

Looking for advice, as anyone ever had a tenant from hell ,I have a family that has not paid rent for 4 months have destroyed my house in&out . Help

Asked by Mary Bustamante, Whittier, CA Tue Aug 13, 2013

Need any advice I have rented my home 4 app, 28 yrs never had a problem ,this family may have a pattern of moving around freeloading, I have never seen such a dirty home it's shocking please help, thank you

Answers

7
Hello Mary, You are going to have to begin the eviction process to get them out in 45 days. You would have to sue them in small claims court for the damages beyond the deposit amount. The maximum award is $7,500 for small claims. Follow the tenant landlord laws. If you need advice you may contact the Inland Mediation Board which is free advice for tenant and landlords. Here is a brochure with the phone numbers. Inland Mediation Board brochure http://tinyurl.com/9q94d4k

Keep us posted as to their free legal advice and the outcome. You may consider being more cautious choosing renters in the future or hire a management company which charges approximately 10% of the rent per month. Good luck to you.

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/ContactSheryl.aspx
Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
20+ Years Experience
DRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
9am till 7pm 7 days
http://youtu.be/MrygA2_8fAY

If my response was helpful, consider clicking thumbs up or BEST ANSWER!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 14, 2013
I would recommend contacting a Real Estate Attorney that can assist you with filing eviction paperwork.
I would try and ask them to just give you back possession of the property without you having to ruin there credit and marking there record with an eviction that will last for 10yrs, if that doesn't work I know this may seem unorthodox but you may want to offer them some $ to vacate the home if for example you can get them to move by end of week for $1,000.00 you will save yourself some money and time in the long run, right now courts are running extremely behind on their Unlawful Detainers right now due to the court closures,filing fees alone are going to cost you $300.00 and that is doing it yourself which I don't recommend.Please call me to discuss your options further @562-902-2288 ask for Yvonne
When you get them out. Let me know. I would love to rent a lovely home and I am very meticulous. You would enjoy renting to me.
We offer "problem tenant services" - though not in your area - and deal with tenants like this all the time. The FIRST thing to do is consult with an attorney who does landlord/tenant law in the town where the property is located and is familiar with all applicable regulations in that town. You don't want to file an Unlawful Detainer action by yourself, you need an attorney to do it right. I've taken over eviction projects for dozens of landlords who thought they could do it themselves with the "lawyer in a box" approach and it never goes well. Also don't trust a property manager to do this for you - you need an attorney. We do initial 3 Day Pay Rent Or Quit Notices, inspections and investigations, but always bring in an attorney when it's time to file the complaint. About 75% of the time the tenant will claim that you have not maintained the property "in an inhabitable condition" (I think they all get those words off the Internet) and will ask the court to reduce the amount of rent due and give them a few months to find another place to live - meanwhile living in the property rent-free. A good attorney will nip that in the bud.
If you decide to inspect the property prior to going to court, make sure to photograph everything.
You need to file an Unlawful Detainer ASAP the problem will not resolve itself and the courts are extremely back logged due to the court closures, I also don't recommend handling it yourself but having a eviction company process it for you if you have any questions you can call email @ Yvonne@superiormgmt.com, I run a full service Property Management firm in Whittier that manages over a 150 properties Good luck!!!
Thank u Yvonne,I think I will contact u where r u located
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
Hello Mary,

I am sorry to hear that you are having serious problems with a tenant. Your posting leaves one to make a very general answer which may or may not apply to your specific situation. If you would care to give me a call at 562-907-4349 I would be glad to try and give you some assistance.

Jorge Granados
BRE # 01323782