Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Michael, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Looking for 5 acres within 60 miles of denver for a family of five. want to have some land and maybe some animals. what areas should i look at?

Asked by Michael, New York, NY Sun Jan 5, 2014

Answers

18
Due to the amazing amount of variation in topography, I would need some direction prior to directing you... What are you looking to do on the property, and what kind of animals?
East of Denver is flat and agrarian as you head west the mountains develop as hills them full blown 14,000 ft peaks within 60 miles of downtown. So what are your requirements? Are too rated schools of importance. Because Evergreen and parts of Douglas and Boulder county would move to the top of list. I would love to assist you, let me know how I can help!
I am a broker in the Denver Metro Area. I just saw this property. It's got 9.9 acres. It is currently for sale. There's a lot of land down south in the Parker area, which is only about 15-20 miles away from Denver. Don't be worried by the $400,000 price on this property. The beauty of real estate is that once you find a property you like, you can always make an offer lower than that, and see if the Seller is interested!

http://www.trulia.com/property/3143968618-12913-N-Delbert-Rd…

Feel free to contact me if you would like to learn more about this property, or search for some other properties in the area!

Josh Perkins
Your Castle Real Estate, Denver, CO
720-985-6834
I would suggest you take a look at City-Data.com. Link is below. This site has much statistical information about Denver. One of the nice features is that you can find links to pages about individual neighborhoods a little more than halfway down the main page, so you can compare various areas. Welcome to Denver! You're going to love living here. Feel free to contact me through this website if you have questions.

Warm Regards,
Ron Rovtar
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Hi Michael!
Congrats on moving out to Colorado! I moved here almost 15 years ago from Michigan with my husband. We've had 3 kids since moving here and absolutely love living here. I noticed that there was already a recommendation for Evergreen on here and I'd like to add a few more options that I think would work well for you. Conifer, Morrison, Pine, and Bailey are all great options. Littleton also extends into the mountains and has options both in and out of the hills. The schools up here are fantastic! I know how important having some flat usable land can be with kids and I'd love to help you narrow down a few neighborhoods that would work. I am going to attach a few links that I think will be helpful for you in your search. Whether you decide to look in the areas I mentioned or somewhere else I am happy to help you make the move a little easier. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.
The Frederick/Firestone, Longmont, Mead, and Berthoud areas would be a few great options. Greeley also maybe a good fit. What price range? I would be more than happy to send you some listings and information on the areas. Let me know how I can help!
There are a lot of great communities for you to choose from within 60 miles of Denver that may meet your requirements. Please tell me a little bit more about your needs regarding the animals, i.e. horses, livestock, dogs, etc. Do you need to be close to work, airport or family out here? What price range? Below are a few towns to consider:

1) Golden
2) Evergreen
3) Sedalia
4) Parker
Best bet would be to look to the east and south!
A new development just east of downtown Parker might fit your needs nicely.
Douglas County Schools, 5-acre lots, public water (no tap) and great homes within your price point.
Let me know if you want details.
Chuck Strauss, SRES®, CDPE®
Broker Associate
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
http://www.denverhomeguru.com
Some more information:

Price range of 350 - 650, depending on average.

want some land for the kids to play and have chickens and goats. not necessarily horses.

need really good schools.
I am a product if the Evergreen school system and I totally stand behind it, they are all "10" rated schools and I went to high school with people who attended Ivy League schools on scholarships. I would say that as a whole from k-12 it is the best set of public schools in the state. There are lots of properties in your orice range and I would love to help you find the perfect one for you.
Flag Wed Jul 23, 2014
Also a link to the Douglas County School District....

https://www.dcsdk12.org/strategicplan/worldclasseducation/index.htm
Flag Mon Jan 6, 2014
Hi Michael, Here is a link to a property located in Parker, Colorado. It is about 30 miles SE of Denver. This is on 5 acres and is absolutely beautiful. School district is Douglas County which has been ranked very high in the Denver area.
http://www.themeridianteam.com/listing?address=47083-FRASER-FIR-Circle-Parker-CO-80138&mlsno=1244385&idx=255097&pos=5&ss=eyJpZHhpZCI6IjI1NTA5NyIsImdhZGdldCI6ImlkeCIsInRpdGxlIjoiIiwidGVzdCI6dHJ1ZX0=
Flag Mon Jan 6, 2014
Hi Michael,

There are many homes east of Denver less than 30 miles and lot of acreage to have a dream home built. You could also go SE of Denver in the Parker area and east of Parker and still be 35-45 minute drive into Denver.

I know 3 small time home builders that do awesome quality workmanship without the overhead and large profit margins of bigger name builders.

If you are interested, contact me at

Rich Foerster
Rocky Mountain Real Estate Advisors, LLC
rich@thefoersterteam.com
720-530-5553
The areas that you look for should match the lifestyle you want to live. Different communities will offer different things. For example, are you looking for a hobby farm, want to raise livestock or horses (sandy soil is not good for horses for example). Are you looking for highway access or do you work from home and need high speed internet connection?

I have lived here 45+ years and have sold numerous "rural" properties. If you would like to discuss your needs and wants, I would be more than happy to make recommendations for you. Feel free to give me a call or text me at 720-333-5363.
As stated below, lots of options, depending on what you are looking for and your price point.
There are several new communities that all have acreage in the SE metro, specifically Parker, that might be of interest.
My suggestion is to get Realtor to act as your buyer's agent, preferably one that has worked on deals of this type, narrow your choices by locale and proximity to schools, work, etc. and then do a detailed search.
Given the options available, if you can narrow your search criteria, I feel certain you can find an amazing property.
Best of luck.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
http://www.denverhomeguru.com
Michael,
There are several options within 60 miles of Denver, there is land in the mountains, all the way out to the plains. Please email me at jkanebg@gmail.com and I can help find a perfect fit fo you and your family!
Are you looking for vacant land (to build on), or 5 acres with a house big enough for your family of 5? What is your price range? What types of animals? (i.e. large animals such as horses? or smaller ones like goat, pigs, chickens?) You'll want to make sure the property is zoned for that.

FYI -- I have a listing coming up that has 5 acres, an old farmhouse, and a big beautiful barn. The house may not fit your large family, but you could add onto it, or tear it down and build new. It's outside of Berthoud, CO. I'd be happy to send you more info on it, as well as other listings that fit your search criteria.

You can contact me at:

sallygrenier@msn.com
Hello Michael,

I did a quick search for you in a 60 mile radius and there are 70 properties with 5+ acres with price ranging from low $100K all the way up to $1M. Some of them have homes already built on them and some of them don't.

If you would like, I can send you the list with these properties and we can discuss in more detail some of the requirements for you and your family.

I hope your New Year is off to a great start and you will be enjoying Colorado in the near future. It is a beautiful area with lots of activities for kids and adults.

Brian Smith
(720) 490-1687
BrianSmith@TheMeridianTeam.com
What do you need 5 acres for? That will help to answer your question. Horses? Kids? Dirt bikes? Hunting? What about water? City limits? Access? Schools? More info and I would be happy to provide a better answer.
Michael,

There are many communities in the surrounding area, on all points of the compass, that may work for you. Following are a small fraction of some of those.

To the south are communities like Sedalia, Franktown, Castle Rock. To the southeast you have Kiowa, or Elbert. To the west you have Conifer, Evergreen, Golden, and Bailey. To the northwest you have Golden, Boulder, Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette. To the north you have Longmont, and Weld County rural communities like Mead. To the north east, you have Commerce City, Brighton, and a community called 'Reunion'. And again, this is just a fraction.

There are lots of things to consider when thinking about buying land. Mountain property versus farm ground or prairie flat land. What if any water rights may be involved, transferrable well permits, type of well, and zoning are but a few. Location and proximity to your workplace, schools, the airport, or other communities are all things to consider as well.

I'd suggest you visit with a couple of Realtors in the area that have experience in buying land and can help you with some of the issues that will come up. This will help narrow down a few communities you'd like to visit as a starting point. I have purchased, and currently own land, built a custom home on another mountain property, and helped others buy and build on other properties. I do know of some close-in mountain properties that might work for you. I would be honored to provide more information. If you're interested, give me a call or email me. My contact info is below.

Best of luck to you.

Larry Brake
HomeSmart Realty Group
303-877-5242
LB@MileHiHomes4Sale.com
http://www.MileHiHomes4Sale.com
I would recommend Brighton or Longmont. Would you like me to send you a few options via email?

Jeremy