Home Buying in Harleysville>Question Details

Rahul, Home Buyer in Harleysville, PA

Looking for accurate CMA for new townhome contruction in Harleysville, Lansdale, Norristown area

Asked by Rahul, Harleysville, PA Tue Mar 24, 2009

I have looked for new construction towmhomes in the price range of 250 to 300K in Lansdale/ Harleysville, PA and am looking for realestate personnel to help estimate the offering price. Most sellers talk about house prices not negotiable which I donot agree and need guidance to make the right offer. thanks

Answers

6
Rahul,
I can certainly provide you with that information, I have been doing extensive research and CMA reports on Harleysville and Lansdale ( North Penn/ Souderton schools) not only as an agent but as a buyer my self, I have seen most townhomes ..and i look at them everyday for comparison and what has just come new on the market. if you wish i can share my notes with you.
Hadjer Ahner
My colleagues have given you sound advice. I think you should definitely get a realtor working for you. Not with you, for you.

This has already been answered so I won't go on a long rant. Builders are very hesitant to budge on their asking price, if not downright refuse. As mentioned earlier, it will hurt the value in the rest of the community. When prices go down on one or two listings, most competitors (resale homeowners) realize that in order to sell theirs, they may have to do the same. So, to try to stop this, they will throw in all sorts of upgrades, bonuses. Why not ask for other incentives which could lower your net sales price?

Please email me if there is anything that I can do for you. I would be willing to prepare a CMA for you with no problem at all.

kevinv@premierreo.net
Rahul,

When you are dealing with new construction, you are dealing with the developer/builder. Negotiating is very different than with a resale home. You must remember that the developer does not want to sell homes for less than others have paid as this devalues the neighborhood.

Instead, he will offer upgrades and options as "gifts" and "incentives". You are actually getting more for your money...but the sale price may just be the base price. Determining value is very complicated in new construction. Sometimes the builder makes people pay for options prior to closing, so only the base price is recorded. Other times, the entire price is shown. The only way you can be exactly accurate is to get an appraisal. If you are that concerned, it is worth $325. Personally, if I were your agent, I would ask the sales office for comparable data, have them tell you the approximate options and upgrades in some of those sale prices and then negotiate to get more for the same price.

If you would like to have representation by someone who clearly understands value issues and can see the deal in a different way, let me know. Good luck to you.

Carol Murray Cei
Realtor and Residential Appraiser
ReMax Millennium
215-643-9661
carolcei@remax.net
Hi Rahul,
When considering new construction, sales comps have to be evaluated on multiple factors & using a variety of sources because builders don't always post final sale prices in TREND .. the resource most agents will utilize when evaluating value in a particular neighborhood/subdivision/area.

My best recommendation would be to interview several agents and select one to represent you as a buyer's agent before submitting an offer for new construction. The personnel working at the new construction sites represent the builder, not you; in order for your interests to be represented ... a good buyer's agent will help you identify key components of the transaction ... from determining value ... to reviewing the builder's agreement of sale with you & pointing out key areas for your consideration ... to negotiating price on your behalf.

I'd be happy to talk with you further, either over the phone or via email. I can be reached via cell at 215-680-3516 or via email at lselverian@selverian.com

Talk to you soon,
Laura
Hi Rahul,

Are you looking for a buyer agent to represent you? That is very important. A buyer agent can protect you and negotiate for you.

Feel free to read my blog at http://www.reneeporsia.com

I am familiar with Harleysville and surrounding areas.

Please keep in mind that when buying new construction, never to deal with the builder or the representative they have sitting at the home. They work for the builder and if you use them, that would be considered dual agency which is just not a good situation for you to be in.

You also need an agent who is aggessive and who will fight for you no matter what.

I'd love to talk with you about your situation. Feel free to contact me.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com
Rahul,

I would be happy to sit down with you and discuss the market with you. Please feel free to give me a call and we can set something up.

Andrew Himes
267.231.8255
Andrew@AndrewHimes.com