Home Buying in Newport Coast>Question Details

Sharin, Real Estate Pro in Newport Coast, CA

Looking for a single level house in Newport Beach , Newport coast, Corona del mar, Turtle rock Turtle ridge, Ca.

Asked by Sharin, Newport Coast, CA Sun Jan 27, 2013

cant find single level houses, or even one with master bedroom down. and when I find a decent one the prices are 40% higher than last year, whats happening. where should I search.

Answers

11
The reason it is so difficult to find these houses is that there were not many built. In Newport Coast for instance, many of the neighborhoods were built in the 1990's by home builders whose profit margin was greater with two story homes because the cost of the land was so high to buy. Two story homes have larger square footage and therefore sold for more money when they were initially built.

Now there is a high demand for single story or master down SFR's because so many empty nesters are downsizing. My suggestion would be if you absolutely need this option and want to stay in these areas, then pay the additional premium for the home knowing that it's resale value will remain strong since there is such a high and growing demand for these homes. If these homes are in excellent condition and upgraded they sell very fast so you will need a realtor who ungerstands the local market and has specific knowledge on how to get your offer accepted in a multiple offer situation.

Please contact me at ttaylor@surterreproperties.com to speak further about local Newport Coast and Newport Beach real estate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 16, 2013
While there are a lot more short sales & REO on the market last year, deals can be picked up relatively easy and there were more to choose from. Market has changed even from 6 month ago. Look back, many buyers who blinked their eyes had regretted that they did't buy then. But look forward a year from now, what is the chance of home price to drop? or to increase? If you can afford, do not wait. I'd love to share with you where and how...
Hi - there are single level homes and there are homes with downstairs bedrooms. If you could share the price point you are searching in, I can make some recommendations.

The problem you're running into is in part due to the value of land. All areas listed are very expensive per square foot for just the dirt. Because of this, most of the newly built homes are going to be 2 story in order to get the big houses the buyers want and still profitable for the developer/builder. For example they can get many more 3,000 sqft 2 story homes in a neighborhood than they can 3,000 sqft single level homes.

Wasn't always the case though. You'll find the older neighborhoods more likely to have single story homes because the were built at a time when there were less buyers and those buyers demanded more yard and open space.

Not saying you can't find a large single story home in these areas, sometimes even newer, its just that they are a little rarer because of the cost inefficiencies in building them. And as you've found, when you do find them, they go quick and for top dollar.

If you really want single story or at least master downstairs, I'd suggest looking more at the older established neighborhoods in Newport Beach proper and CDM.
Since you didn't include the price you are approved for it is hard to tell you which areas would work for you. I am sure with some work I can find you a home. If you would like to put me to work for you, drop me an email or give me a call and we can start moving forward.

Lori Hanson
OC Homes Realty
Estatepricing@yahoo.com
714-585-5236
DRE 01405146
What's your timeframe to move look like?

We don't have to wait for other agents to list homes, I can help you & also include pre-foreclosure homes not on the market YET & potentially wipe out buyer competition.

Shoot me an email directly if you'd like to talk about this further, I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Short Sale Specialist - 99.8% success rate
Prices are up significantly in Newport this year. It doesn't seem possible, but days on market are even shorter this year, too. The best way to find your next home more easily and quickly, is to work with an experienced Newport agent. With his/her help, you'll get the support you need.

Please let me know if you'd like help.

With best regards,

Carol Lee
Surterre Properties

949.395.3994
Hello Sharin,

I'd be happy to assist you with your home search. There are a number of homes available in the communities that you indicated interest in. I invite you to contact me at the number below so that we can meet to discuss your needs further.

Birgit O'Hearn, Realtor
email: birgit.homesales@gmail.com
web: birgit.homesales.com
Cell: (949)463-7955
Office: (949)916-4988
Windermere Real Estate SoCal
DRE# 01886700
I can assist you with your home search!
I would be happy to send you a list of homes.

Deborah Linden
949-478-2821
Sharin - This is similar to a question I was discussing earlier this week when a reporter from the WSJ called. We have limited inventory, and it has resulted in an increase in price, simply supply and demand.

Where you should search is really dependent on what you want and where you want to be.

I would be happy to talk to you and give recommendations once I have more understanding of your needs and goals.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss this further at 714-319-9751.

Christine Donovan
Real Estate/Broker
Web Reference: http://www.donovanblatt.com
Sharin,

Let's discuss in more detail what you're looking for. When is a good time for us to connect?

Mark Gundlach
949-307-5944