Home Buying in Middletown>Question Details

ecg129, Home Buyer in Middletown, NJ

Looking for a place to live in NJ? (Middletown, Atlantic Highlands, Red Bank, etc...)

Asked by ecg129, Middletown, NJ Tue Aug 28, 2012

My husband and I will be moving within the next month. He just received a job in Neptune, NJ and I will probably be working either in central NJ or Manhattan (haven't confirmed a position yet). We're looking for something (Middletown, Atlantic Highlands, Red Bank, etc??) that could provide an easy commute to Manhattan (1 hr or so?) while still hosting a short enough drive for my husband. We would probably rent first, to ensure we like the area - and then buy within a year. When we buy we are looking for something really nice in the 500k or below price tag. I'd love suggestions for town to look at and what a commute from that town to Manhattan might look like?

Answers

21
ecg129,

I am the real estate agent in Monmouth county and will be glad to help with your rental and purchasing needs. Your commute to the city will be very much impacted by where you will live. Ferry from Atlantic Highlands to the city will be your fastest (under 1 hr) choice, albeit the most expensive one. All other most likely will take you anywhere from 1hr to 1hr 45min, depending on the traffic. I used to commute to the city for years and can share my experience.

Bus service: http://www.academybus.com/Commuters/Schedules.aspx
Ferry service: http://www.nywaterway.com/BelfordHarborWayTerminal.aspx
Train service: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0080.pdf

Let me know how I can help you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
You can help by siting specific towns :D I've heard the ferry is quite expensive - so any suggestions for train bus in the range that's closer to 1 hr?
Flag Tue Aug 28, 2012
Definitely Locust section or Navesink of Middletown or the Atlantic Highlands, you could take the ferry the Seastreak out of the Atlantic Highlands, ride is about 50 minutes to an hour.
Have you made your decision yet?

If not any of the towns that you mentioned are very easy commutes to the city by car, train, bus or ferry. It's nice to have options.
Academy Bus:
http://academybus.com/Commuters/Map.aspx?gclid=CM-72fzFmrUCF…
Seastreak Ferry
http://www.seastreak.com/faresandschedules.aspx
New Jersey Transit.
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

If I can help with anything else, please feel free to contact me.
Welcome to our community! Monmouth County is a great place to live and I've yet to meet one person who regreted moving here. To rent first to become aclimated to the community is always wiset. If you have chldren Middletown's school system is highly rated as is Holmdel's school system. These towns are convenient to mass transit to NYC and Northern N.J. There are also other towns that we could discuss. If I can be of help, please let me know!
Caroline Murphy
Hi again

I would recommend the towns around the Red Bank area. Renting makes sence until you are comfortable with the area?

Red Bank is a good commute to NYC and to Neptune....You will be delighted in this area and surprised regarding the great life style this area provides...My husband and I have live here for 35 years and have never been happier with our choice.

We are both full time agents and would be happy to give you a tour of the area when you are in town, also show you some rentals in the price point you are comfortable with.

Diane Van Vliet
732 859 2376
Here's the link to the train schedule:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf

South Amboy is a nice town as well. Mainly older houses, but I wouldn't recommend going further north from there because conjestion at the bridges crossing the Raritan River may lengthen your husband's commute to Neptune.

Len

Leonard "Len" Dunikoski, SRES
Realtor Associate
Diane Turton Realtors - Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

(732) 239-0739 cell

(732) 530-6686 office
Lots of people from Rumson, Fair Haven etc. take the train in to Manhattan 5 days/week. The train trip is comfortable, especially on the upper level of the double-decker cars, but if the time seems too long to you then by all means consider somewhere further north.

Any of us would be glad to work with you to find a great rental. Give us a call to let us know your price range, number of bedrooms, etc. When would you be able to come down to look at listings?

Len

Leonard "Len" Dunikoski, SRES
Realtor Associate
Diane Turton Realtors - Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

(732) 239-0739 cell

(732) 530-6686 office
We live in Boston currently. My main concern with Red Bank/Middletown is that if you are not taking the ferry -the train/bus seems like a really long commute to Manhattan. That's why I asked about Aberdeen. The apartment doesn't have to be anything too special - because the reality is, we only plan on spending a year there - until we fall in love with the right home/community.
The Matawan-Aberdeen area has an entirely different "feel" to it than the Little Silver-Shrewsbury-Red Bank area. Consider spending a weekend and just drive through the towns that have been mentioned, even on your own without a Realtor.

Once you narrow down the towns to 2 or 3, make a list of the "must haves" and "don't wants" for your rental. Apartment, townhouse or house? How many BRs? newer kitchen/bathrooms? garage? etc.

Once you're in your rental you can really drill down and do your real estate homework: in which towns did homes hold their values the best/worst? how does price per square ft vary from town to town, and between different styles of homes? would you consider living in a condo or townhouse? does the quality of the school system matter? what are the tax rates like? do you want to be close to the water/beach? would you prefer a quiet neighborhood or one with more going on? do you want to be able to walk to stores, restaurants, the train station, etc.?

Len
Hi

I was just wondering where you are moving from and what you liked about the area you live in..
It would help me finding the perfect town for you...There are many towns that are able to fit you criteria.

Please give me a call so we may discuss this further.

Diane Van Vliet
732 859 2376
Heritage House Sotheby's International Realty
Rumson, New Jersey
Too far for ferry commute. Aberdeen and Matawan are great train station commuter locations, as is Hazlet. These three towns have easy access to the Parkway for driving. The hamlet type communities of Fair Haven, Atlantic Highlands, Rumson, Sea Bright are a longer commutes to the Parkway. There are more developments in the towns closer to the Parkway also. It's a matter of preference - Do you prefer developments?

Deb
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
Any thoughts on the Aberdeen area?
You've gotten some great answers, and I too think you'd be happiest if you lived in a community close to the train (North Jersey Coast Line) for an easy commute into NYC and close to the Garden State Parkway or NJ Route 18 for an easy drive to Neptune.

In addition to Little Silver and Red Bank, Shrewsbury has some nice homes in your price range, and it's fairly close to both the Red Bank and Little Silver train stations.

I've lived in Fair Haven since 1975 and blog for several of the area's online Patch newspapers (Red Bank-Shrewsbury Patch, Little Silver-Oceanport Patch, Rumson-Fair Haven Patch) and you might want to take a look at some of them (look under "News: Local Voices"). In addition, I just wrote a post for my own blog, http://www.RumsonFairHavenHome.com, called "Where Can They Afford to Live?". It lists the average and median prices for many towns in the area.

You're smart to spend your first year here in a rental so that you'll have time to really get to know the area. We've got many possibilities to suggest, but you're the ones who have to decide where you'll be happiest.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Len

Len Dunikoski, SRES
Realtor Associate
Diane Turton Realtors - Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

(732) 239-0739 cell

(732) 530-6686 office
Hi again Pat

Don't forget to include Little Silver.........Great community, train station etc

Smiles, Diane

Diane Van Vliet
23 West Rivet Road
Rumson, New Jersey
732 859 2376
Train and bus are quick options from Red Bank, Little Silver, and Middletown. Ferry is also available from Middletown, Atlantic Highlands, and Highlands. Parking for train can pose some issues - but Middletown makes use of a lot at a local Sears store and provides a shuttle.

I agree about driving to the City. I include it as an option, since there are definitely people who make that trek via car from here on a daily basis. I vote with you position. I wouldn't do it.

I really like taking the ferry. There are people who do it everyday, but it is more expensive as compared to train fares. The last departures for NJ on the ferry are around 10pm. If I have reason to stay in the City later than that, I grab the train. I favor the ferry - it's quiet, fast, comfortable and I do find my transit time productive via ferry. I hold a signal on my iPad well on the ferry most of the time.

As far as towns.........it depends upon your expectations in a property and your lifestyle choice. You can certainly find homes in any town in northern Monmouth county at 500K and under that mark. ( I do understand clearly that you want to rent right now........and where you rent and where you purchase may or may not be the same.) Your dollar will buy you more house and land by going inland a bit. Will it be more important to get more bang for the buck, or be closer to the shore? The criteria goes beyond the simplicity of just that choice - providing that as just one example.

A consideration for you will be options in transit and locations closer to the ferry, train or bus. Evaluating transit options may guide you tin include or exclude certain towns.

Our snail mail package includes an overview of all towns in Northern Monmouth County and may be quite helpful for you. It includes information about lifestyle and an overview of the real estate trends for the prior year by town - average and median housing costs, number of transactions, etc.

If this is helpful, it's yours for the asking.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
732 784 8450 Mobile (Text or Voice) BEST
7325307755 Main
Deb@PeninsulaFirst.com
Hey all - just as an update..... I'll get back to some of you individually...but really, first look for suggestions on specifc towns. Also - it would be unfeasible to drive into manhattan every day for work, so please consider public transport in your answers!
Hi.....We would love to work with you to find the perfect home .My husband and I are both agents full time agents

Please give us a call at either 732 859 2376. Or 732 778 3727

Diane/realtor associate
As a lifelong resident of the Red Bank area, I can say with confidence that you have picked some great towns! I would love to provide you with more information about our area and assist you with your search. I know that my latest clients would be happy to share their experience as well. Please feel free to give me a call. I look forward to hearing from you.

Patty Lipert
Heritage House Sotheby's Int'l Realty
PattyLipert@comcast.net
732-216-6917
You could look into Wall Twp. It's really nice to live by the beach!
From here, you can take the JErsey Coast Line up to NY or there is also bus service, and of course the ferry service from Atlantic Highlands. The drive to downtown is about one hour 15 minutes.
The shore towns will cost you a bit more, but you could find a winter rental there that's reasonable and check out the area.
If you want to search real estate in these towns, or just in Monmouth County in general, you can search at my website, below. You can also upload my mobile ap to your phone for help if you are driving around and find a home that interests you. Just text dianeg to 87778
good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com

My offices are in Red Bank, and I am a 20 year resident of this area. We have an extensive relo package that we can snail mail you. Certainly, I am quite the internet junkie myself, but my past relo clients have repeatedly told me that our comprehensive package was invaluable to their process. It includes fold out maps, local publications and directories. It also includes a list of 100 websites helpful for newcomers.

We are happy to provide this to you as a renter. We welcome renters as clients.

Options for commuting to the city include ferry Seastreak.com or http://www.nywaterway.com/BelfordHarborWayTerminal.aspx You can also check NJTransit.com for bus and train schedules. The towns you mentioned would allow a reasonable drive commute to Neptune and easy access to any of the NYC options for transport. Of course, one can always drive to NYC also.

Prior to living in NJ, I lived in several states through corporate moves; and I've traveled very extensively. If you talk to me about where you currently live, I might be able to draw some comparisons for you.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
732 530 7755 Main
732 784 8450 Mobile - Text or Voice (Best)
MonmouthListings.com
Deb@PeninsulaFirst.com