Home Buying in Calabasas>Question Details

John Fina, Home Buyer in California

Looking for a "low-ball" realtor!

Asked by John Fina, California Mon Apr 14, 2008

I am looking for a realtor who feels comfortable with the "low-ball" offer. My take on the market right now is that it is very unsettled and it truly is a buyers market. With that said, I want to offer 25% less then what the seller is asking. If they say no, its not a problem, I will move on and ask someone else. I want an agent who feel comfortable with this plan and wouldn't mind representing me through this venture. I understand that it would be uncomfortable for some agents and I don't want to ask anyone to do something they feel uncomfortable with. If you feel you are the perfect agent for me, please let me know.

Answers

16
I bet that your market has dropped by at least 25% since this was written. So much for being insulting. You were just being forward looking.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 10, 2009
I don't know either Joan.

Jim & Cinnamon - I am just curious - did you realize this question was asked over 2 years ago when you responded?

It's easy to miss the date under the question...........not sure if you did, or just wanted to answer it anyway...I am not critcizing - just curious, as the "old date issue" has been brought up many times on trulia.

Don't want to continue to keep this old thread alive, but I honestly don't know where these old questions are found?
Joan - supposedly trulia is "working" on making the font on the date more pronounced - not sure why it is taking so long..........resurrecting these old questions - especially one like this which has no relevance 2 years later - is such a waste of time
Question is over 2 years old....
Why don't you look for short sales. I know in our market people are passing them up. If you have time they are a great deal.
Dear John:

I hope you find the right realtor for you and the right house. Any realtor worth its salt will not work with you on this premise. How would you feel if your home is listed at a fair price of $1000,000 that is in exellent condition and the neighborhood goes for that price and some buyer wants to pay $750.000. If I would represent the seller I would ask the buyer to look for a $750.000 house. Problem solved. Good luck!
John,

I think that is reasonable unlike what other realtors have stated. It will take a long time but something will click. My only concern would be your financing method.

Can you close quickly?

Here in philly you can pick up deals .50cents on a dollar. May take 200 offers but you can snag something. Now for some agents they may not want to do that but some agents work with investors and do this all day long.

You are being upfront and honest and I think as long as you disclose this and are loyal and a real buyer, it is a realtors choice if they want to work that way.
what kind of formula is that!!! write your own offer, is my answer....get a form and write an offer...this is silly.....what if the house was 25% under valued...there will be 85 people writing intelegent offers and one will be smart enough to tie up the property to get in the door to take the next step, or not. ...that person will have made a great investment in a locaction area...and you will have waisted time while the interest rates go up 1/2 point!!!/// sorry to say john,,, this is not good thinking...try working with a person with years of experience and talant and still. someone that you can trust.....your 25% formula goes knowwhere...if you have done this many times, it means that your plan is not working...good luck... http://www.meridethhasson.com 30 years as an investor and realtor in the l.a. area..
I feel comfortable working with people who want a great deal.
Please feel free to call me at 818-224-0630
realestate4you@mac.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 11, 2008
"I want to offer 25% less then what the seller is asking." This is not a good approach to buying a home. The buyer needs to know the fair market price of the house and to make an offer based on that price. A good Realtor will know the price of the house based on current trends. Often the seller will not come to terms with the declining market and not price his home realitstically, however, some do price their homes to sell and to offer a fair market priced home 25% less would be insulting to the seller and the agent.
25%? That's it? You are not low-balling. Low-balling would be determining a value for a "normal" (buyers and sellers are even) market then offering less than that. 25% less is still generous given the current asking prices in CA. Given current market pressures, even a "normal" price is too high. Factor in how much more food and energy costs now and that leaves less people can pay for houses. Don't be influenced by asking prices - that's out the window now. Research historical trends in salaries, job growth and real estate. 25% off is overpaying.
Realtors will try to instill a sense of urgency in you over missing your market. Hold tight, time is on your side.
Hello John,

If you haven't already selected a Realtor, I would love to assist if you're looking anywhere close to my area. I'm also a real estate investor and don't have any problems with low ball offers. It's how investing works if you're good at it.

Jimmy
Hi John,

Hey, you are the client. My fiduciary duty is to you. Now what part of California do you want to start??

Talk to you soon,
Laarni
Hi John,

In what area of California are you looking to buy?

I am very comfortable making lowball offers with well qualifed buyers. Are you looking to buy in LA or Orange Counties?

Karen Miller
John, I am the Relocation Director for our five offices in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties in California, and it's my job to find the perfect Realtor when someone is searching in our area. Since I don't know which part of California you're looking in, can you let me know if it's our 2 counties, so I can help out?
Thanks! Peggy Nelsen
Web Reference: http://www.pcr1.com