Marie, Home Buyer in University City, Phi...

Looking for a home to purchase near UPenn for my son, as a parent I need to know what are the "safe" areas? Where would you purchase for?

Asked by Marie, University City, Philadelphia, PA Thu Feb 25, 2010

your child if you lived out of state?

Answers

10
I have been a college police officer for over 25 years in Los Angeles. One of the safest places to live are near major universities with college police departments. The surrounding areas may be high crime areas but I can assure you most of my fellow officers are eager to help out in surrounding areas. In other words not only will your area be patrolled by the city police, you will have the additional eyes of the campus police, which can be boring a lot of the time on campus , so we will always assist the city police and a lot of the time when the city police is busy with a major incident we will handle some calls in the city. Also, most major universities have facilities off campus that we are responsible for, so we are always driving to different areas and we always come into contact with the public and help out, etc. Most major universities have full service state sworn police officers so we can handle anything that comes our way. I hope this help!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 3, 2010
Even though this is an old thread, its a good one. I went to penn and I have lived in philadelphia since 1986. Buying in univ city has 3 options. One....buy close to Penn. In that case you probably buy a 2-5 unit property and rent the rest out. Second you buy a home for 400-500k. Third you buy a condo. That's either garden court for 150k-300k or 42ndf and pine for 350-900k.
Many students/parents aldo buy in center city west.....riverwest condo at 2101 chestnut, 2200 arch st are popular chouce. Give a ring if you'd like to discuss further

Bruce Lang
Coldwell banker realty corp
2157350700
2673126221 cell
Wharton undergrad '91.
Hi Marie,
I live in University City. I'm not sure where you are moving from, but Philadelphia is a large city where crime can vary block by block. I love my street, but I don't walk in an area that is literally two blocks from my house. I'm not so much concerned about violent crime but I know it's a corner where drugs are sold.

University City includes two police departments: the University of Pennsylvania has its own police department and the area is also patrolled by the City of Philadelphia Police Department. Penn also has boundaries designated by the university as the "core" of their campus. Thousands of Penn students live in this area. I would be more than happy to show you where the majority of students live.

Also, keep in mind resale value. University City includes a variety of residents and some buyers down the road may have children, so schools will become an issue. I'd be more than happy to discuss some of the additional issues you may want to consider before you buy.

University City is a vibrant and wonderful community. I'm sure your son will have a wonderful time at UPenn and I hope to speak with you soon.

Take care,
Kera Ritter

Kera Ritter
Philadelphia Realty Exchange
PRE Top Producer 2009
Multimillion Dollar Circle 2008, 2009
1608 Spruce Street
Philadelphia PA 19103
Office phone: 215-545-6111
Email: keraritter@comcast.net
Hi Marie,

The questions that your asking are subjective and only you and your son can decide where you would feel "safe". Since crime is a concern, here is the website for the Philadelphia Police Department and you can view the crime statistics for this area http://www.ppdonline.org. I hope this helps.

Good Luck to you and your son.

Samantha Weekes
Exit Realty "The Tri-State Group"
215-687-2629
Marie,
I graduated from Penn a few years ago and still spend a lot of time around campus both in my work as a Realtor and because it's just a fun place to hang out. I'd be happy to talk with you about my personal experience at Penn and answer any questions you have about the process of buying a property in Philly.

Cheers,
James

James Yoakum - Realtor
Brown McKinney Real Estate
1631 W. Cabot St., Ste. 100
Philadelphia, PA 19121
office: 215-825-2250 x.1002
cell: 267-496-7739
fax: 610-910-3046
jyoakum@brownmckinney.com
When you are ready to purchase don't forget about using FHA kiddie condo program that only requires a 3.5% down payment.
Agents only market the homes and you can get crime stats from local police . My son went to Wharton and he and his friends rented an apartment near campus. They have campus police at Penn . We did not have problems.When you visit the campus you can check out the neighborhoods.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
There are no " SAFE" areas around UPENN, one thing that most out of towners forget and agents and brokers won't say is that ALL Philadelphia Universities are built in the middle of TERRIBLE neighborhoods. So there for crime is a problem at all of them, So no matter what measures a university takes just remember that there is some desperate soul that needs money or whatever. Where ever you son lives he must follow all safety instructions and be alert when out at night.
Once you decide on an area(s), your best source of information is the local police department--why not stop in and ask all questions and hear all there is to hear firsthand--do keep in mind that crime can occur anywhere world.
http://www.city-data.com is the best place to research communities. Realtors can't suggest neighborhoods as it's called "steering" and is illegal.