Home Buying in Fairfield>Question Details

Taralynmilano, Home Buyer in Fairfield, NJ

Looking for a home in the Essex County area, but how do I know which areas flood?

Asked by Taralynmilano, Fairfield, NJ Mon Jul 4, 2011

The flooding is getting worse every year here in Fairfield.

I have found http://www.FreeFlood.net to be very accurate for a quick flood check. Although, you should always have a flood certification done before purchase.
There are different types of flood zones depending one how likely they are to flood and how much water they will get. However, a flood "zone X" does not require flood insurance because it has not flooded in at least 100 to 500 years, or maybe ever; it is just on the out-skirts of the actual flooding areas.

Best of Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 4, 2011

Are you still planning on staying in the West Essex Regional School District? I know a few months ago you had said you preferred either North Caldwell or Roseland because of the flooding here in Fairfield. Is that still your intention or are you looking to expand outside of the West Essex School District? There are areas close to Fairfield that are within your price range.

I'll send you an email or feel free to contact me again.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Lattimer Realty