Home Buying in Madison>Question Details

Chrystal, Home Buyer in Madison, WI

Looking for a family-oriented, safe, progressive neighborhood (kids 12,13) that is in or within 15 minutes from Madison city lines....

Asked by Chrystal, Madison, WI Fri Jul 19, 2013

Currently live in Fitchburg on a street where neighbors are not social and there aren't any kids. Perhaps looking for something non-existent, but woud like a neighborhood where neighbors are friendly and are raising awesome (thought I might ask for the nearly impossible) kids that would be a good influence vs... Street names/zip codes would be very helpful. Thanks!!!

Answers

10
Crestwood neighborhood fits your description! Near intersection of Rosa Rd., Old Middleton, and Old Sauk.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 22, 2013
Thank you!!!
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
If you are willing to get out to the east side, the 53704 area (Ridgewood) is very family orientated. Kids of all age groups are all over the place in the nearby parks and streets playing. Neighbors are always over at each other's houses being sociable. I like it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 29, 2013
There are some great neighborhoods in Madison that are kid-friendly but have you ever thought of trying the "burbs?" Waunakee is a fantastic village that is very kid-oriented. Great schools, too!

Let me know if you need some help finding a great new neighborhood.

Lori Morrissey
Managing Broker
HouseReward.com
Lori@HouseReward.com
608.381.4804
2051 Continental Lane, Cross Plains 53528
Our family will unfortunately (for us) be relocating soon from the neighborhood for which you're looking! We live in a small cul-de-sac (Lynbrook Cir) that's just on the westside of the Fitchburg limits in SW Madison. There are six houses, and kids next door. Yours would be in the right age range. There's a basketball hoop set up by our neighbors and people are often out in the circle. Some people are naturally more social than others, but we've gotten to know the neighbors well in the past five years. Plus, there is a school and large park just down the way (around which we take walks). Let me know if you want more information! clabbm at gmail
Monona has been great for us. Super kid friendly and feels like a small lake town, but take 10 mins to get downtown. I like the the ares a few blocks from the lake. As you get closet to Monona drive it loses some of its a appeal to me.
Check out the Goose Lake neighborhood, including Goose Lake Drive, Pheasant Lane, Tonto Trail, Demarco Trail in the 53593 zip code. There are a couple of homes for sale in that area right now. Great neighborhood with kids of all ages. Close to Madison, Fitchburg, Verona. Only 15 minutes to downtown Madison. Verona schools.
Madison is packed with such neighborhoods, however it s a very personal question. Personal to you and your family. I am not sure anyone else, especially with out knowing you, can prescribe an answer.

Finding what you want will require some good solid legwork. Getting out talking to neighbors, people in coffee shops. Even then you can get a good feel for a neighborhood, it is still up to the person to contribute and make it happen.

My best advice, apart from that is find an agent who you like and knows Madison who can help you with this type of question in person.

Wishing you the best.
Hi Chrystal!
Sadly, the art of going outside and playing/hanging with friends is almost gone. But it is still out there! Just need to find it. I would ask friends that have kids where they live and would they recommend the area. Drive the area, do you see what you are looking for? Is there a school district that you want or need to stay in? Get a map of the school district and drive. Or interview and hire a realtors and let them assist in your search. Give me a call I would be happy to help!
I homeschool them, but after asking around, we live all over (lol)!!! I did have a realtor, but it is hard when inventory is low. I like the driving around part, especially in the summer when perhaps we have the best chance of seeing some neighborly socializing! Thanks!
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013
I would look at older neighborhoods with closer homes that facilitate, even force this kind of neighborly interaction. I live near east, off Atwood, and find this to be the case. Our corner is filled with smaller children, that is likely chance more than location. As for your desire for good influences, the proximity and familiarity can lead to "the village" raising your child on occasion which will at least make them well rounded. Good luck.
I would love a multi-generational neighborhood, but thought that might be asking for too much. Definitely not looking for eutopia, it certainly wouldn't help the kids, but am perhaps looking for a needle in a haystack:/
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013