Home Buying in Chinatown>Question Details

Mike, Home Buyer in Chinatown, New York,...

Looking for a 1-bedroom elevator condo for my Chinese parents.

Asked by Mike, Chinatown, New York, NY Tue Jun 5, 2012

I am looking for a safe, 1-bed elevator condo for my aging parents. They have lived in brooklyn their whole lives and I would like to relocate them to Chinatown so they can be closer to their doctors and their choice of restaurants. Any advice and specific areas. I am planning on paying cash so would rather not go over 600k.

Answers

18
Consider working with an agent of your own; ask people you may know for referrals, or contact and interview in person a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 6, 2012
Hi Mike,
For safety, it's best to check out the beighborhood yourself. Or start with the areas around your parents' favorite place to eat and their doctors' offices. Also, a doorman can add an additional feeling of safety for your parents, and a doorman can put your mind at ease, too. Knowing that there is someone in the building at all times, might help you and your parents feel safe and comfortable.
If you would like to take a look at some places, let me know. I'm happy to help you and your parents find the perfect place.
Have a great day!
Nissa Kochmer
Citi Habitats
347.344.8307
mkochmer@citi-habitats.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 6, 2012
Hi Mike ,

I represent alot of landlords in chinatown area and have many exclusive listings. I speak english , cantonese and toishan. Please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ray Ng
Green City Realty Inc.
c 917 662 0283
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Hi Mike,
I am in the same exact situation actually. My father just had open heart surgery and I need to relocate them to Chinatown since he can't get around as well anymore. The difficulty I've run into is that the co-ops have very strict rules. What have you found? Would you recommend anyone to work with or any buildings that are a good target? thanks!
Hi Mike,

If you are looking to move them to Nassau County, do check my offer.
More info plus pictures about the condo - apt 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom with a 24hr security and 24hr concierge built in 2006 can be found here:
http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/HMCFB

At the moment a physician from Korea is renting my apt. Previously, a couple from Korea rented the apt and now they are finishing their studies in Harvard.

The area surrounding the apt, The Horizon is bustling, exciting and extremely safe. There are many shopping malls around the area and a big park, Eisenhower Park is just a few minutes drive from the apt. Let me know if you have further questions. Hopefully I am able to assist you in any way I can.

In the meantime, you can email me at fhanim@gmail.com

Good luck with finding a suitable apt for your parents:)

Sincerely
Fauzzie
Please visit http://www.realdirect.com and find out how a a buyer can also receive 1% at closing for using realdirect's online tools which are free!
Hi Mike,
I lived in Chinatown all my life, and I do a lot of selling/buying here, feel free to call me at 646-639-2110.

Joan Tang
Real Estate Agent
speaks Mandarin, Cantonese,English, Malay, Hakka
Hi Mike,
I know a new construction right in Chinatown with decent 1BD under $600,000. I speak Mandarin Chinese, English and Taiwanese. Originally from Taiwan, I have represented a lot of buyers from Asia to find properties in Manhattan. It is easier to find an agent who can speak your parent's language. I am happy to help. You can reach me at 646-244-9167.

Shu-Fen Striedter
Kian Realty NYC
Senior RE associate
Hi Mike,

I can definitely help you finding an apartment in that area.

Please contact me and we can start as soon as today.

--

Patricia

BSD Equities
174 Fifth Avenue #301
New York, NY 10010
Office: (212) 367-7200 Ext.18
Cell: (646) 269-4942
http://www.bsdequities.com
I have some nice properties that you might want to see. My name is Marinel and I can be reached at 212-714-1027 ext 15. Thank you and good luck.
Hi Mike:

Any REBNY agent should be able to show you anything available in the area with in the price point that you are looking for. Key is finding an agent who will be looking out for your parents best interest first, and stick with them. Agents will also work harder and be more dedicated if they know that you are loyal to them. If you are needing folks who are fluent in the language of your parents, we have a number of agents on staff, as well as a number of attorneys that we work with that are quite good that could accommodate very easily.

Kelly Killian
Vice President
Bond New York
954-675-9915
Hi, Mike.
You are a good son to be helping your elderly parents. There are many options. Your choice of Chinatown is very logical, keeping your parents in proximity to their doctors and other familiar things. The most important thing to understand is that you should work with an agent as your buyer's agent. When you look at listings and go to the listing agent, they work for the seller and their job is to get the most money for the seller. When you work with a skilled, experienced agent as your buyer's agent, we streamline your search based upon your needs, negotiate on your behalf, and take you through all the steps of buying right up to the closing table. The fact that it is a cash transaction will make it quicker and easier, though there are still several steps where you will need a pro to take your through, particularly if we end up with co-op vs. condo.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-42568
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
Hello Mike,

How are you? I would love to be able to show you and your parents a few places in chinatown and other community oriented neighborhood that would be suitable for older people. Also as important is a place in which its comfortable and can accommodate your parents.

Please let me know what your availability is for viewing of some units.

Please feel free to give me a call at 212-518-3030 or shoot me an email at tpham@aonhomes.com

Thomas P.
Hi Mike!!

So nice of you to work with your parents on this. There are MANY options in the city (Chinatown and beyond) that could work well for them. I would love to discuss your exact requirements and send over a tailored set of options for you.

My background - I am an Associate Broker and at Licensed Attorney in New York. I work mostly in Manhattan and Brooklyn on Sales and Rentals.

Please feel free to call me at 734-945-0454 or drop me a note at neeta@spiregroupny.com.

I hope to work together soon!

Neeta
Hi Mike!
There are three apartments in East Broadway in your price range $548000 apartments with balcony and low commune charges $315 re tax $98. That is a nice area and the apartments are beautiful and about 525 sc fc.
If you are interested send me your email address and I will send you the pictures.
My email Vbaba@kianrealtyNYC.com
Best regards.
Veronika
Good luck finding a perfect place to relocate your parents - this such a great thing to do! I had to do it myself several years ago - we relocated our parents from Moscow, Russia to Brooklyn. I do not have any exclusive listings at the moment there but would be happy to look up everything that is available in Chinatown, should you need any assistance.
Elena Ravich
Rakita Realty
646 593 7207
elena@rakitarealty.com
Hi Mike ,

Feel Free to give me a call . I have alot of exclusive listings in Chinatown area !!!

- Ray Ng
- Green City Realty Inc.
- 917 662 0283
Hi Mike, i have a great condo for you, please email me now at Angelan@nestseekers.com and i will reply and send the listing,