Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

MJ, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Looking for a Buyer's Agent. How do I find one? I do not want a Realtor who is also a Seller's Agent...

Asked by MJ, Houston, TX Mon Jan 19, 2009

We are looking for a house or a townhome (new or foreclosure) located in the area between 290 & 45 / 610 & Beltway 8. Hoping to purchase in August.

Answers

9
You will find, as with most things in life, that people do their jobs well when they understand the needs and wants of the other parties they deal with. A buyer's agent must understand what motivate sellers, what seller's agents are looking for, and how to talk to them.

A buyer's agent who has never worked on the other side of a transaction will not do as well for you as someone who has had sellers and knows how they think and can help guide and advise you.

Texas law prohibits an agent from dealing where there is a conflict of interest. Every Realtor in Texas is aware of the danger of trying to work both sides of a deal. Your objective of not having a Realtor who deals with buyers will prevent you from working with some really qualified Realtors.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 19, 2009
If you are interested in an Accredited Buyers Representative in your area be sure to go to http://www.rebac.net and they have a list of all Buyer's Agents that are ABR certified.
MJ,
Some people do not understand that top real estate professionals work BOTH as Buyer's Agents and Seller's Agent...so long as one is not serving as BOTH in the same transaction, there should not be a conflict.

Eleven months ago, my twin sister bought a lovely home outside Houston, using an agent that I referred her to...she still raves about the service she received from him and his team. Feel free to contact me at 440-376-5475, and I will put you two together!
MJ,

Professional agents deal with both Buyers and Sellers. Signing a buyers agreement will assure that the agent is working in your best interest. We would be happy to speak with you further about the buying process.

Lacinda Homfeld
Owner
H & Co. Real Estate
713-557-6042
lacinda.homfeld@gmail.com
MJ,

It's pretty tough to find a "true buyer's agent". That is one who is independent and ONLY represents buyers as their business. Most people who label themselves as buyers agents in Texas are really working for a Listing agent who is too busy to handle buyers. Chances are you can find an agent who will represent you and only your interest. The will be YOUR buyers agent in the transaction. This is pretty normal in Texas. Perhaps the real issue you are gunning for is that you don't want them to represent you in a transaction where they also represnet the seller. In this case you will want to check NO to allow intermediary on your buyer's representation agreement with the agent. If you end up liking a home where they also represent the seller then you can find another agent to represent you in that transaction.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
MJ,

Mj, I don't see the problem with using an agent who is also a listing agent.

I can understand, however how you might see a conflict, with using an agent who also represents the house that you're attempting to buy. If you hire a buyer's agent (most of us are both), just make sure that you tell them, upfront, that if you find a property that you want to buy, and it turns out to be their listing... you will INSIST on having them re-assign you to a different buyer's agent.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Contact instaclose Properties in San Diego and ask for the Buy Direct team. They have 4 exclusive buyer agents covering the county with tons of experience that are trained and experienced in representing buyers with banks - they are an REO firm and specialize in bank owned (foreclosure) properties. By far, the REO market in SD is the hottest with both investors and 1st time buyers grabbing these relative bargain homes and condos. You can search Instaclose on Youtube and find video tours of San Diego foreclosures.
MJ

Most agents are going to have some listings and work with buyers. I myself are one of them, but Iprimarily handle all of my companies listings. I have someone you should talk to.

You should call my partner Johnny Schiro. He is a buyers agent with loads of experience. He is very aggressive and will get you the best deal possible. You can read more about our company and services here: http://www.houstonicon.com/

We have a nice incentive right now for our new clients. Johnny can tell you about it.

Johnny - 281-627-2486 or johnny@houstonicon.com
Web Reference: http://www.houstonicon.com/