Home Buying in Evergreen>Question Details

Ashish, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Looking for SFH/tomwhome in Evergreen... Is working in SF city/South San Francisco ruled out after buying house in Evergreen because of distance?

Asked by Ashish, San Jose, CA Mon Aug 27, 2012

Answers

8
If you're concerned about the commute, then the feasibility depends on your schedule. I have plenty of clients and friends who do similar commutes from San Jose to SF or even further. But, they usually have enough flexibility to commute around rush hours or not commute 2-3 days out of the week. If that's the case for you, then your total commute time per week is not going to be much different than many others who make the trek daily from San Jose to the south peninsula (Palo Alto/San Carlos) during rush hours.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
It depends on where you want to live, and where you want to work. Also, what you want to spend and what you expect to get for that price.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2012
Hi Ashish:

Distance in terms of your loan will be dependent--as the others have pointed out--on your lender, their requirements and your credit history and current debt load.

As for the distance in terms of commute, that depends entirely upon you. If you don't have a problem with a long commute, then the distance from Evergreen to South City or Downtown is no problems. As Charles B. noted below, there are many homeowners who travel into San Francisco from distances greater than San Jose, so Evergreen's commute (while admittedly long) is not the longest that any of us have heard about from our clients.

To be certain that you're prepared for the commute, however, might I suggest that you wake up early one morning that "try" the commute from your proposed new home into your job in SF. You can then see what a typical commute would entail and can judge whether or not this type of travel would be acceptable to you.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Commute will be a problem!!

However Money will not be a problem!!! (Provided FICO, DTI, etc are good)

Jacob
NMLS 327086
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Hello Ashish,

From loan perspective, (if this is the question) your work and distance from the purchase in this case should not be relevant. A lender typically will not disqualify you on this basis.

Are you asking if Evergreen is the right place to purchase if you are working in SF? It depends upon you, there are two ways to look at it. One a job is not permanent, you might eventually change the job, so live where you want to live and eventually move closer to home. Secondly, do yo want to spend a lot of time commuting? The commute from Evergreen to SF is a looong one. You have to decide what is more important to you. What are reasons for purchasing in Evergreen? What are your requirements in a new home. We can discuss the many factors in this decision making process, to help you find the right home.

Monica Goyal
Ashish,
You can use caltrain which can take you to San Francisco directly.
I am a Broker Realtor and I am very familiar with evergreen area having sold several homes there.

I can send you a listing of several homes which are available now and a detailed CMA meeting your criteria.
Please email me your requirements kenkapur@msn.com

BUYER CASH REBATE 50%-60% You will save up to $15000

Quality Full Service! Work directly with the Owner/Broker.
Dr. Ken Kapur Owner/Broker, Realtor
http://ValleyRealEstateNow.com
Thank you,for your question, Ashish:

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if a lender will accept a home in Evergreen as your owner occupied personal residence, if you are working in San Francisco, is that correct?

The underwriter for the lender lender will consider a number of factors, including whether or not you own other real estate as your owner occupied personal residence.

The fact that you are commuting from Evergreen will not by itself rule out the lender considering the Evergreen property as your owner occupied personal residence. I have clients who commute farther than that from their owner occupied residences in San Jose.

For further information, I recommend that you contact the REALTOR that you have selected to represent your interests with respect to the purchase of the property.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
Are you looking to rent or to buy?
Divya,
I am looking to buy. I like the area as it has good schools , newer homes and with in my budget, however since my current job is South San Francisco, I wonder whether it will be a good decision.
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012