Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

Kuniko Kai, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Looking for $500K home in NJ with two pre-Kindergarden kids, prefer communities with good public/private schools, close to shopping mall

Asked by Kuniko Kai, New Jersey Mon Apr 29, 2013

Answers

14
Good afternoon Kuniko,

First steps:

Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Hi Kuniko

Please see my reply below in response to your reply!

Short Hills IS a good choice, but unless your budget starts around 750,000+, there are limited, if any, options - Millburn, which is part of Millburn Township, along with Short Hills ( separate post offices, but they share the same middle and high schools) is a possible option, but you'd still have to increase your budget to buy there, as well.

Livingston is "next door" to Millburn Township, so it's the same general area, and offers homes in your price range.

I have lived and worked in this area my entire life, so I know it well.......... I'd be happy to go over the various options, keeping in mind all your criteria.

This past year I helped a family move (back) to NJ - they actually found me on Trulia - after spending several years working in Shanghai. They chose to move to Livingston, and are very happy with their choice. Their price range was somewhat in the same vicinity (slightly higher, but not over 600) as yours, and they bought a lovely 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch style home with a family room and fireplace, 2 car garage and .3 acre - on a quiet residential street.

It would be my pleasure to help you explore this area to see if it works for you and your family!

Please email me for more information.

Debbie

Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Hi Kuniko
There are some very nice towns in Monmouth County with good schools where you can find a nice home in the $500,000 price range. The most popular mall is Freehold Raceway Mall. The towns closest to it that you might want to consider are Freehold, Howell, Manalapan, Marlboro, and Colts Neck. They are all within 10 minutes to the mall. If you need help finding the perfect home please feel free to give me a call.

Joan Congilose
RE/MAX Central
Office (732) 972-1000 ext:364
Cell (732) 232-5277
Kinnelon would be perfect!
Bergen county.. I can send you blue ribbon school towns as well as the available properties in each town. Remember only 30mins to NYC Manhatten

If you would like more information call me at 201 848 2068 or email mrp@grouptwentysix.com

Make it a great day!
Livingston would work!

Top rated schools.....private school options, too.....great recreation for the family (2 town pools)

You want shopping?

Try the Mall at Short Hills, Livingston Mall and Willowbrook mall - all within a 15 min drive!

Great local restaurants.....and close to major highways - 25 min drive to Manhattan (ok, so not during rush hour!)!
MidTown Direct train plus bus routes nearby.............

Email me for more information, or visit my website

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com

http://www.DebbieRoseSells.com
Kuniko - Short Hills would have been a great option, but unfortunately, the price point begins arouind 750,000+ - Millburn would require a budget more in the 650,000 range if you want to have any kind of selection. I'd be happy to send you more information on other towns. I grew up in this area (Short Hills to be more specific), but lived for many years in Livingston...and in Essex County for my enitre life, so I know this area very well. Please email your contact information to: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com and I will be happy to offer more suggestions. Best wishes....
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
Thanks Debbie, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Hi Kuniko,

There are some areas in Morris County that you might want to look into. Here are few to start looking at.

Denville - http://www.denville.org/

Rockaway - http://www.rockawaytownship.org/index.cfm

Boonton Township - http://www.boontontownship.com/index1.htm

Randolph -http://www.randolphnj.org/

Morris County Website - http://www.co.morris.nj.us/

I'd love to talk more with you and help you narrow your search down. Feel free to call me with any questions.

Jane Jennings
CELL: 973-229-7857
OFFICE: 973-263-0400 x 205
Sales Associate
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046
jane.jennings@cbmoves.com
oops wrong person! haha
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
Thanks Jane, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Hi Kuniko,
Livingston, Florham Park (close to Livingston Mall), New Providence (close to Short Hills Mall) may be some of the towns to look into. All have great schools.
Need more info about any house in particular or would like an introductory tour of the area?... I am here to help in any way!

I look forward to speaking to you!

Armin Lusinyants
917-626-9420
alusinyants@gmail.com
http://armin.kwrealty.com/
http://armin.yourkwagent.com/
Hi Kuniko, please send me an email at - alusinyants@gmail.com and I will send you links to the houses. Thanks!
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
Thanks Armin, can you send me some housing info around the area you mentioned so I can have a look first, also any school over the area you recommend, private school preferred, thanks
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Hi again Kuniko, I live and work in Short Hills. It is a great town, but ... yes the prices are much higher (start at ~800k). Your other option would be Millburn, we can still find you a house in 550K-580K range. Property would be smaller than in Short Hills. And again, Livingston, Florham Park, New Providence are all great towns around Short Hills (5-10 min away). Call me when your are here, let's talk. Arigato gozaimasu! ~ Armin
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Thanks Armin, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
There are communities in Northern, Central, and Southern NJ that could meet your needs. You could find REALTORS to help in all areas. Is there some info that you could share that would define areas of interest in broad terms? Is there a work location that you or another member of your family needs to consider when choosing a home? Do you have ties to any NJ areas now that you wish to retain or remain reasonably proximate to? I could write 3 paragraphs about Freehold/Marlboro/Manalapan (Monmouth County), and another 5 paragraphs about Brick and Toms River (Ocean County). If Monmouth and Ocean Counties aren't on your radar, the info would not be helpful for you. Likewise, someone else can share details about towns in several other counties. Which general area of NJ are you considering?
Thanks Deborah, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Where are you looking to purchase?

I am a real estate agent for Weichert realtors. Let me know where you are looking and I would be more then happy to help you and your family find your next home.

http://Www.melissamyrealtor.com
Thanks Melissa, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Kuniko,

There are so many wonderful towns in NJ that have good schools. You need to determine what area of the state you want to live in and then you can narrow down the towns in that area to look at. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Ron Sheedy
Coldwell Banker - Robert Michael Realty
(732) 239-7452
Thanks Ron, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Hi Kuniko -

You need to visit a few towns to get a feel for what is going on. I would tell you to check out East Brunswick ( where I ive) Marlboro, Manalapan all great town.. all within distance t a great mall!

As an expert in Middlesex county, a parent with kids going thru the system and former NYC commuter.. I can pretty much cover all the bases for you and answer any question you have! Call me direct or send an email and we can discuss in detail you wants and needs in a home!

John Sacktig
Broker/Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Thanks John, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
I recommend Bridgewater and I can assist you with your search and purchase there. It hits all of your buttons. The market is moving quicklly so it is good to establish an agent relationship so that you have a pulse on the market and can react quickly to new listings that meet your criteria.

To search among all actively listed properties in Bridgewater, visit http://www.Homes08807.com

Here to assist in any way....

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.Homes08807.com
Thanks Jeanne, I'm currently living in Japan and looking to move to NJ later of this year. My priorities would be 1) community with low crime rate; 2) reputable private or public schools for a 5 year and 3 year old children; 3) close distance to shopping malls. My friends recommended Short Hill to me, think price there is a bit over-budget although I have some flexibilities. Also somewhere more international would be a plus. Anywhere you could recommend?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
There are 565 municipalities in the New Jersey with a lot of good schools. Do you have any idea where you would like to live?