Jackson, Home Buyer in 01824

Looking at two towns, quite far apart.

Asked by Jackson, 01824 Tue Jun 9, 2009

What if I am looking at two towns in Massachusetts that are quite a good distance apart. Can I have a real estate agent that specializes in one area, then another agent for the other area>? I hate to ask the agent to travel such a great distance.

Answers

7
Ashley Robbins’ answer
It depends on the agent. If I have a buyer that I am working with I never hesitate to show any house they want to see. Sometimes I will dedicate an entire day to allow for travel between properties, as the areas in which I show spread over vast distances.

Some agents are like me and are willing to travel further than others. Other agents stick to a certain area. This is something you will want to discuss with an agent before electing to work with them.

Just be careful as to what you sign if you are going to work with more than one agent. If you sign an exclusive buyer agency agreement than you will be under contract to work with that particular agent.

Ashley Robbins, Realtor®
TheMLSonline.com
Jackson, I think the best thing to do would be to look at all the factors of the 2 towns and choose one. Most agents will help across multiple towns...even if they don't know one of them as well. You'd be better off choosing the one you like better and working to find a home in that town. If you're looking for something that you are not likely to find in that town, your realtor should be honest with you and help you move on to look in the other town.

Just my 2 cents!
Also, for what it's worth...I live in 01879, so if you need any advice, don't hesitate to contact me :-)
Flag Sun Jul 6, 2014
I agree with the other agents Jackson - I service multiple communities and have great breadth in terms of where my buyers wish too look. It can be tricky for the buyer to adapt to two different agent styles if you use two different ones.

Another thing to consider and as a courtesy to your agents - ask them if THEY would be okay with you having two agents. Becasue I know so many communities and have had great success with my buyer clients finding them a home from multiple towns they chose from - I would hesitate to sign on with a buyer who had a 50/50 chance of buying with another agent. This is why it's important to make sure they know you have another agent in another area, if that's the case. Having one agent is ideal and there are many of us who can handle multiple search areas with ease! Good luck.
Jackson,

In response to my previous answer, you can have two agents working for you as buyer's agents but, for your own protection have the contracts made up to state the exact areas that the agent will be contracted for. You will want to make sure the areas are on the contracts with BOTH agents! Very important! If you are not specific with location you could be responsible for paying the agent you don't end up using...
Web Reference: http://www.sellyourden.com
How far away are we talking? Some agents won't mind making the drive. I myself have shown clients 2 different neighborhoods that were about an hour apart from each other and didn't mind it at all. Now if the areas are like 4 hours apart, I would probably pass. Also, just because your agent is in one area, doesn't necessarily mean that they are unfamiliar with other areas.

In the end, I would talk to your agent, see how familiar they are with the other neighborhood, and see if they are willing to make the drive.
Hello Jackson,

To answer your question, you can work with two real estate agents. However, if you find one particular agent that is doing an excellent job in assisting you with your home search, you may want to consider asking them if they would be willing to travel. Many agents are familiar with a number of towns/areas and are more than happy to travel the distance. While my office is in Pepperell, MA I've been known to travel as far south as Uxbridge and well into New Hampshire! Many people in their every day job commute over 2 hours each day. Therefore, my thought is - it's part of my job to travel where my client wants to focus their search. So, if you find someone that you enjoy working with ask them. If they don't want to travel the distance, you have the ability to find an agent in that area as well.
Web Reference: http://www.integrity-rb.com
Hi Jackson,

You would not be able to work with both agents as exclusive buyer agents. Depending on the areas you are looking the agent you choose may actually cover both locations. For instance, I am licensed in both MA and NH and have sold houses throughout the Merrimack Valley, in Raymond New Hampshire, as well as, in Boston, Wenham, Winchendon and tons of other towns throughout Massachusetts and NH. If you need help feel free to let me know!