Home Buying in Galien>Question Details

Roberta, Home Buyer in Michigan

Looking at the Galien Michigan area, how to proceed?

Asked by Roberta, Michigan Wed Sep 26, 2007

We're looking at the Galien Michigan area. The house has been on the market for nearly seven months, is empty, but seems priced high for the area and size. How should a buyer proceed?

Answers

9
Hey justme. I was born and raised there, and only live in Buchanan now. I have three kids, and the school is still working, but the class sizes are much smaller. (Not a bad thing really.) I just miss the quietness of the area.
Unfortunately, homes in the area are getting overpriced, as a lot have been bought as second homes, as is the case with the one I'm looking at. I need average time on the market for the area, as well as a lot of details. I hate to admit that I've fallen in love with the house, and it won't be a second home, it would be my home. But we just can't afford the price their asking. But comparable homes on the market are going for more than 30% less than they're asking. We wouldn't want to offend anyone when we make an offer, but they're going through a 'Harbor Country' Realtor, and that scares us too.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007
Roberta, I lived in Galien for years. There are few if any amenities, they do not have a school anymore. If you want complete isolation, it is a great place. The land was good for farming and gardening, and the water was great where I lived and it was well water. The roads outside of the actual town itself are terrible, like riding a roller coaster. It would be a nice place to retire, it is quiet and most of the people are friendly. Winters are hard so prepare to shovel alot.
You could go to the county to see what else has been recorded for sales. I don't think Trulia will have all of the recorded sales, but I don't know. There could easily be more in the MLS as well. But you would need an agent to help you with that.

Is this home listed with an agent?

I would personally recommend that you have your own agent representing you. They should have a better handle on the condition of the comparable sales and know if there are more that you are not finding. I would hate to see you overpay.
Web Reference: http://mioaklandcounty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2007
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
OK, the house is on the market and you need information. A buyers agent is free and represents you. I suggest you pick up the phone and interview 2 buyers agents - people who do not list homes. A buyers agent will give you data, help you negotiate, assist in hiring inspectors, help you with comp, school, crime info, and maybe get you a clue report from an insurance colleague before you make an offer to see if there is any claim history. If you need help with a couple of names, let us know. Best of luck.
Web Reference: http://www.KathyToth.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2007
Well, I've looked at the map here, and there is a total of four houses sold this year in the area, two I know are very comparable and sold much lower than the house I'm looking at. I don't have an agent myself, so is there another way to get comps?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2007
I would want to know how it comps compared to other recent sales in Galien. That is probably the most important thing you can find out. Have there been RECENT comparable sales?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2007
Roberta,
I am an accredited buyers agent and e-pro.
I live in Buchanan and my office is in Stevensville. If you haven`t found help yet I would be happy to research the property and the comparable sales for you.
I have been a life long resident of the area.

Thank you!
Roberta,
A buyers agent, or any Realtor with access to the local MLS, could check the "property history" on the listing and see if there were ever any offers, price changes, etc.
If the property has been on the market for seven months, you may have bargaining power thru a buyers agent.

Bob Krueger
Roberta,

If the house is listed with a Realtor, then you need your own Realtor who can answer your questions about Day on market, etc. You don't pay for it, the seller does.

If you need help finding an agent, we can help you.
248.430.4450.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007