Adellacqua, Other/Just Looking in Port Jefferson Station...

Looking at 55 condos on Long Island,NY. Most are listed as electric heat etc.

Asked by Adellacqua, Port Jefferson Station, NY Wed Jan 21, 2009

Am I right in thinking that this would prove to be very expensive? Should I keep looking at gas heating instead? What other expensive elements should I watch out for? I must be careful with my expenses.
Angela

Answers

5
Yes, most of the 55+ Condos have electric heat/pump. Best way to check with the current home owner to find out their monthly/yearly bills. With electric heat every room has a thermostat, and you can turn the heat off/on in those rooms if not in use, many people like this.

Also look for taxes, and monthly common charges, what is included in the common charges..such as maintainance of the common ground, lawn cutting, snow removal, drive way, siding, roof, community inground pool, gym, club house, other social activities (card game, painting, reading, knitting, arts and craft club etc) , 24 manned security or security gate with remote opener, etc....

Also when was the last time common charges went up, and when is next time coming up.

Many 55+ communities have Jitney Bus comes to bring the residence to the mall and other shopping areas. However do you have the car to go around or need the public transportation..

Please feel free to contact me for any questions you may have..Good Luck...
Jane Zilpelwar
631-889-2997
jzilpelwar@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 21, 2009
Some actors to look for would be the age of the burner, etc, for efficiency. I am an agent in the area that would be more than happy to assist you with your 55+ search. :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
Factors, not actors.. Sorry! :)
Flag Sun Oct 6, 2013
Before oil/gas prices came down, people with electric heat were looking like geniuses. Depending on the size of the unit and how you keep the heat/air conditioning, the costs could vary. When investigating any unit, you could ask the owner for a copy of their utility bills. I have seen some condos with oil or gas heat but yes most of them are electric heat. If you're interested in seeing more units in our area, I would be pleased to assist you. Good luck!

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Certified Buyer Representative
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
You might want to check with LIPA regarding their electric rates. If a home has electric heat, it may have a different price per KWH.

You would probably want to check the transportation alternatives if you have no car, or it is in the shop. Is it near a bus or train, or do you have to rely on taxis.

Is there a community room (with activities) for socializing? See if they have a schedule for activities that you would be interested in. The more social ammenities, such as a pool, the higher the monthly maintenance charges. If you use the pool, it might be cheaper than trips to the beach .

What about security. You will pay more for manned security, but is it something you should do without?

Remember, you get what you pay for. You have to examine what is included, and compare what you would normally have to spend to provide for extras. I hope this is helpful to you.
Sorry,but that SHOULD read 55 + (adult communities)- Angela