Home Buying in Deland>Question Details

Erin, Other/Just Looking in Daytona Beach, FL

Looking at buying a house, we currently rent and pay 850/month. Can we contact a Realtor now before going to the bank?

Asked by Erin, Daytona Beach, FL Wed Nov 9, 2011

Can we contact a realtor in our area before going to the bank to see if we are approved for a mortgage? I find DeLand to be cheaper than Daytona and Port Orange area, ideally we would love a 3-4/2 home, but not sure if that's doable on our budget. Thanks!

Answers

21
Two reasons I say "yes" to getting pre-qualified before calling a lender. First, you will know the amount of house to go look at. Could you imagine how dissappointing it will be if you look for homes above your price range in the beginning, only to find that you cannot 'afford' that one, and everything else will not measure up? Secondly.....you would not go out the door shopping without first looking in your purse to see if you have the means, right? Good luck and enjoy the excitement of finding your first home.
It will only take you about 15 minutes to verify your ability to qualify for a mortgage. http://www.aimloan.com

No reason to put the cart before the horse....

Don't despair if a lender will not approve you, next try a credit union.
It's best to contact a lender first to see what you qualify for, you don't want to start looking and fall in love with a home and later find out you can't afford it. I will be happy to assist you in your home buying you can call my office anytime and I can help you in Deland. I am a Broker/Realtor in Deland,. 386-748-1283.
Wow- some really interesting answers here-

Yes you can contact a REALTOR first- if you should choose to do so- call my Anytime Sell Phone and I will be happy to assist you. I am a member of the local boards in Daytona, New Smyrna and Orlando Area including West Volusia.

With that said- feel free to contact your LOCAL REALTOR anytime. 386-690-6546

Oh and PS- Real Estate is a local market- and prices locally are NOT declining- in fact they are on the rise and have been on the rise for 8+ months now-
Yes you can. If you like, I can take 12 minutes of your time and let you know what you qualify for, an estimated monthly payment, and what finance program that "fits" your needs. If you qualify for $850 a month for a mortgage, you are looking around a $95,000 sales price AND for $95,000 "it's doable".
Deland is generally less exspensive than Daytona and Port Orange. Depending on where you work, and how long you are willig to commute, Orange City and Deltona may be options for you to consider.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Cecil Sapp 386-215-4669
cecil1@cfl.rr.com
Hi..It is usually better to contact lender...before actually going to look at homes....but do contact a Realtor to help you start your search...goog luck
Hi Erin!

Lending guidlines are tricky right now.

Don't want you to find something and then find out it cannot be financed.

Can't hurt to peek though :))
Best to know upfront what you can qualify for based on your income, debts, credit history, etc.

We have bond money for first time home buyers-- up to $7,500 depending on your income. So your first step is to contact one of the "approved lenders" on the list that can get you the bond money. If you go with a lender NOT on the list, they may not be able to get the bond money for you. Go here and select your county and number in your household:

http://apps.floridahousing.org/StandAlone/FTHBWizard/FTHBWiz…

You will need a minimum of 620 "middle" FICO score, too.

If your credit history and/or debt load will not allow you to get a typical mortgage, you do have other options. Try a credit union and if they will not grant a mortgage you can then try: http://www.NACA.com

Hope this helps.

Alma
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Most agents can give you a list of lenders as banks and credit unions are no tthe the only lenders so you can get the best rates, etc.
Do you know your credit scores if you are a couple and you may qualify for FHA although some do not fo a lower down payment.

There are parts of Deland closer to Port O and Daytona. There are also deals everywhere.
You may contact me for more info if yu like at relocateisapieceofcake@gmail.com
Hi Erin,
Save for a 20% down payment. Wait another yeare to buy, prices are declining. Good Luck
Prices locally have been on the rise for some time now!
Flag Sun Jun 10, 2012
Hi Erin,

It is preferable that you contact a lender to find out "YOUR BUYING POWER", This will help you look in the right direction price wise. I live and work in Deland, I will be happy to assist you during the process. You can "like" and follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RuthieRivera or you can call me @ 386-785-4941 or e-mail ruth.rivera@ziprealty.com. I look forward to meeting you.

Ruth Rivera
You should choose a Realtor first, then have the Realtor introduce you to the lender they trust the most. This business is difficult even when your team is used to working together. Make an appointment to see the loan officer face-to-face and take them all of the support documents they will need to get a solid preapproval. A lot of lenders in my area issue preapproval letters based on conversation and a credit report, lots of missing pieces.
You can contact a Realtor now, but you would be far better served to go to a lender first, to review your financing options.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
You can contact a real estate agent now or talk to a lender. An agent can give you several names of lenders in their areas that seem to do a good job, or you can deal with someone you know and get a preapproval first then contact an agent. You can call me anytime.
Fleming & Hagquist Realty, LLC
386-748-1283
Deland, Florida area
Hi Erin
Good for you! It’s great that you’re seeing what an opportunity it is to buy right now!
I would you recommend you meet with a realtor now to get the home buying process going .Your agent should a great wealth of professional contacts that will make the home buying process smooth and enjoyable for you. I would advise that you get prequalified with a lender so you know what price point/budget to stay within. In addition, it’s a necessity to have a preapproval from a lender when you get ready to make an offer on the bank foreclosures
Good Luck and Congratulations!
Erin,
Always a good idea to speak with lenders first (or concurrently) and obtaining a pre- approval from the lender that you are most satisfied with. Yes many agents also assist buyers with obtaining financing and in fact some are also mortgage brokers as well though that could be problematic
Hi, You can contact an agent anytime you want. Hoever you will need to know what a bank is willing to lend you in order for anyone can help you efficiently. The agent will need to know what price range you are approved for so they can look up listings, otherwise you will be shooting in the dark.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Hi Erin,
Sure you can. They could also give you the phone#s of different Mortgage brokers to contact.
It is not necessary, however, a real estate agent can also assist you in obtaining good financing as we deal with the financing game on a daily basis as well. Whatever you do, make sure you do your shopping for an honest and hard working loan officer, even if you pay a little more you will notice a world of difference when working with someone who is on top of their game and always there to help you through the process.

Robert Huttsell
United Country Timberview Properties
(520) 266-0064
Absolutely and most agents if not all will also help you find a mortgage broker while helping you find your ideal home.
I can recommend two awesome professional ladies who are mortgage brokers. They can help you determine what you can afford and can even show you some tips on improving your credit score. Call me or email me via this site or see below.

Also - check out my website - it has access to the two largest MLS in the area so you can look at east Volusia and west Volusia on the same site. It has tons of market and neighborhood information.

Phil & Lucy Hanner
Experienced Short Sales Agent
Accredited REO Agentâ„¢
http://www.findahomeinportorange.com
Keller Williams Realty Florida Partners
3510 S. Nova Road, Suite 112
Port Orange, FL 32129
Licensed Realtor
Fax: 386-944-2808
email: PHILHANNER@GMAIL.COM

"Wait long. Strike fast."
Member South Daytona/Port Orange Chamber of Commerce
Member Central Florida Realty Investors