Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Harry, Home Buyer in Outside U.S.

Looking at Scottsdale AZ or Rancho Mirage, CA. For SFR. I currently work outside the USA. How difficult is it to buy a SFR practically sight unseen ?

Asked by Harry, Outside U.S. Mon Sep 12, 2011

I am currently working overseas. I like the market conditions right now as far as purchasing a home but I must buy sight unseen meaning, I can't be there to view the property. I will greatly rely on a professional to purchase in this manner. Does anyone have this type of experience through thier client base? Is it impossible? I plan on returning permanently to the USA in 5 years time. If I purchase I am looking to rent it out for this period of time. So it will be an investment at this time. I like Scottsdale as it seems to be better as far as taxes are concerned but am an ex Californian. Rancho Mirage is more familiar to me. Any comments on these particular neighborhoods is appreciated.

Answers

18
Tooraj Bakhtiari’s answer
What you are asking is possible and is being done everyday. Many foreign investors in our market, do not get to see the property they are purchasing. The challenge is to find a knowledgeable professional who will listen to your exact requirements and needs. The rest is simple.
Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Harry,

Now is an excellent time to buy a home in the Scottsdale market and there is a strong rental market. This could be a solid investment for you during the remaining 5 years you are overseas. My niche is working with second homes buyers who live out of state or Canada. I have been working in the Scottsdale market for the past 8 years and before that I was an agent in Greenwich, Connecticut. My buyers have been from many states and Canada.

Here is how we work together:
- Needs analysis stage- In a dialogue, either voice to voice or email, we discuss your goals and desires in finding a property. Voice to voice is best but email can work as well.
- Initial legwork - Once I have a sense of your needs, I do an initial list of communities that match your needs. I provide you with a link to view the properties online and give me feedback. There are numerous photos and detail and I add to these as well.
- Narrow the community - Most of my buyers end up deciding on the community they want first and then we check out everything in the community that can work.
- Specific property(ies)- once you are comfortable that you have all the information you need to proceed with an offer we submit a contract and I negotiate on your behalf.

In the state of Arizona, agents can work for the seller as the listing agent or they can work for the buyers as a buyer's agent which is what I would be doing for you in this case.

Throughout the process I keep you informed via whatever form of communication you prefer. Ultimately it is your decision but I will provide you with plenty of information about the properties and the process so you would feel confident in your decision.

In Arizona, there is a standard purchase contract that the real estate community uses rather that using attorneys and I would provide you with this upfront so you can ask any questions and feel comfortable with the document.

If you would like more information and would like to proceed, here is my contact information:
Nora Gevlin
Associate Broker
Prudential Arizona Properties
ngevlin@gmail.com
Your timing, and, idea, is terrific! I started in the RE bus., here in Phx. in 1969, and, have never witnessed the "deals" available right now. With interest rates being this low. There are many components that would be important to identify to accomplish a good buy for you. I am particularly qualified to help you, if you like, as, I have lived in many areas of the valley, know the good builders from the bad, and, keep in touch with market pricing on a daily basis. Since time is on your side, you could even consider a short-sale, as well as a traditional sale or REO property. One of my currently listings about to close escrow is a 2245 sq. ft. patio home, built in 2005, sold originally for 635,000, and, is being short-sold for 390,000. It is a gated area in N. scottsdale, near Mayo's Clinic. This is just one example.

Feel free to contact me at phil.griffith@russlyon.com or 602-330-7860
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
I didn't realize that the Mayo Clinic was still operational. For some reason I thought they were relocated to Partner Montana. Thanks.

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013

http://www.billingsclinic.com/Mayo
Flag Fri May 17, 2013
Hi Harry,

I can easily provide you with the services you need to make an informed decision for a rental and eventual occupied purchase of a home in Scottsdale having done this before. I use High Definition videos with narration upload to you tube for you to view and provide my input as if you are there. I'm also available to answer questions since I am a heavy tech user.

I know this is going to sound crazy and other realtors will think I'm shooting myself in the foot, but honestly, if you are more familiar with Rancho Mirage and enjoy that area, I would recommend that you by there instead of purchasing blindly here in Scottsdale.

Don't get em wrong. Scottsdale has some wonderful areas for sure. I know, I lived there for 8 years. But someone not knowing anything about the area, your purchase would be based more on the net coming to you monthly and the eventual investment sale profit than anything else.

My recommendation is buy in an area you know. You'll be better informed.

Good Luck,

Stew Keene - Professional Phoenix and Scottsdale Realtor
480-220-7491
Web Reference: http://www.stewkeene.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Harry, Key would be having an agent preview and take photos if necessary. Also a prequal and or proof of funds from you. I can have relocations information provided upon your request.

I do have multiple clients making offers. I will send details on the purchase contract and walk you through once you decide on a home. Any information regarding the investment will be provided.

Feel free to contact me direct. DC Ranch is well liked as well. It will depend on price range on what area you can move in.

Regards, Lucinda
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Hi Harry,

Actually, I help a lot of people like you who are "out-of-town" home buyers. The State of Arizona is a great state for buyers. You have 10 days from the date of acceptance of your offer to do your home inspections and to change your mind about the home without financial risk. In other words, your earnest money deposit can be fully refunded to you if you decide that you don't want to move forward with the purchase.

Please check out larryharman.com for tips about how to avoid making bad decisions when buying a home and other helpful ideas. And when you want to get some listings from me, you can let me know what you're looking for in a home and I'll be able to get that information off to you, right away.

Thank you, Harry.

Larry
Web Reference: http://www.larryharman.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Hi Harry,

You are right about the market. Right now is a great time to buy a home. As far as buying one sight unseen, that is a little more difficult but not impossible. You need to have a very good idea of what you want in a house and a neighborhood and then be able to convey it to a trusted realtor.

I was able to find a home for some clients in New York that just told me what they were looking for. It was a longer process but turned out well in the end.

If you are planning to rent your home until you return, I can refer you to a few property managment companies that will be able to offer full services. That makes it much easier to get your property rented and keep it in good condition.

Scottsdale is a really large city and there are many neighborhoods with a lot of different and unique qualities. You can live by Old Town where the homes are more mature and you are close to a lot of touristy activities. Or you can live in North Scottsdale where you have a more Sonoran Desert feel and some world class golf communities. Or anything in between. There is a very wide variety of options when it comes to choosing a neighborhood.

Please contact me if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance in helping you find your home.

Wade Kawahara

Dominion Real Estate Partners

Office: 623-326-7316

Email: wadek123@gmail.com

Website: arizona-listings.com
Web Reference: http://arizona-listings.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Hi Harry,
I am also from California, have lived in Scotsdale since 1986, and yes, our taxes in AZ are lower than in California. Rentals are extremely attractive in Scottsdale, with many people having had to short sale their homes, and rent for now. I have several clients, many from California who have purchased homes, as an investment until they plan to retire here. Technology is amazing, I can assist you through the process as if you were here. I have worked with clients from everywhere, Bangkok, Canada, London and in the US. Our inventory is currently at an all time low, properties are moving and our sales did not really slow down during our hot summer months. Let me know if I can help and best of luck to you.
Gloria MacKay, ABR, e-PRO, GRI, CDPE, CNE, CLHMS, REALTOR
CDPE Certified Distressed Property Expert
HAFA Certified Specialist
Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist Million Dollar Guild
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
602-315-2402 mobile
480-223-1266 e- fax
gloria@mackayfinehomes.com
http://www.mackayfinehomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Harry, Like other agents that have responded, I have experience helping clients find the right property and buying sight unseen. Describing your needs and wants is the most important facet of this relationship. Once you pick out properties that meet your criterion, an effective way to view the property is for me to provide a walk through video and still photos. With an engineering back ground, I also provide a "first pass" walk through inspection describing the negatives I can visually see (this is not a substitute for a proper home inspection, but lets you know what to expect).

What I would point out is that Rancho Mirage is a town with a population of about 18,000, while Scottsdale has a population of of over 200,000. Depending on location they can have a different feel. What you will want to explore with the agent you select is what you like about Rancho Mirage so your agent can help you select areas that have the same feel and amenities. There may be parts of Scottsdale or other communities here in central Arizona that will offer what you are looking for. Good communication with the agent you select will be critical to your success.

Loren Hoboy-Buyers Agent
623-688-0044
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
hire a realtor to buy one for you and rent it out until you move here,to get the lower prices now days.

Or just wait until your closer to moving here. simple really
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Dear Harry,
I can assure you that with some research , a good realtor a home can be bought sight unseen....I myself did this when we were retiring from the military and stationed in Ft Lewis,WA 1500 miles from N Scottsdale ...l did not see my home until 1 week after it closed :) ... I am happy to help in any way that I can using available technology it is almost as if you were here so the decision can be made without too much trouble.
Warm regards,
Cristine L Masson
Prudential AZ Properties (Troon)
480 748 1120
cristine.masson@pruaz.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Dear Harry:

Already completed this with another client of mine from Chicago, he only saw the pictures and video of the home.

He had to trust my 45 years of living in Arizona because he could not actually come down to see the property.

Here is what he had to say on my LinkedIn Page:

“We were looking online to purchase a home in Arizona and hired Terry Smith to work for us. He did a great job finding us the perfect home and community for us. We did this entirely online and had to trust his judgement. He researched and sent us pictures and opinions on many homes. We were very pleased in the end. He works hard for his clients and is very knowledgable. Highly recommended!” September 2, 2011

Top qualities: Great Results, Personable, High Integrity

1stM Pettersen,
hired Terry S. as a Real Estate Agent in 2010

Terry S. Smith

Scottsdale Luxury Homes

45 Year Arizona Resident

DPR Realty LLC

8341 E. Gelding Drive

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Direct (602) 763-1858

Office (480) 994-0800

E-Fax (888) 315-2680

ScottsdaleForeclosures@Gmail.com

Http://www.ScottsdaleLenderForeclosure.com

Have a Great Day!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Scottsdale is a very sought after city with many subdivisions but it is important to express your needs and interests so your Realtor has a strong understanding of that perfect home. I work with many buyers from out of state and shoot many videos so that they can see they home as I tour them. View my Youtube channel at some of the videos of my buyer's new homes. Most of the homes were bought online after viewing the videos.

Thank you and I am looking forward to helping you.

Tony Mastricola
602-750-6195
HomeSmart
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 13, 2011
Harry-
Scottsdale is one of the most desirable cities in the country, yet the property taxes here are extremely low since we thrive on the sales tax generated by tourism. Scottsdale is the first part of metro Phoenix that will "rebound" from this economic downturn and is a vibrant part of Phoenix. That being said, buying a property sight unseen is always an interesting transaction! We recently purchased a 2m home at auction for our clients sight unseen, but had covered just about every base through the use of technology from online applications, to full length videos and pictures. Look forward to being of assistance.
Andy Griffin 480-229-2393 andycgriffin@gmail.com
Harry,

I have worked with many buyers outside the state and country with purchases of thier homes.

II will provide pictures and all necessary doucments needed to aquire a property.

More importantly communicating as much as possible about your purchase before you consider the home.

Scottsdale is definatley one of the most sought after communities in Arizona.

Feel free to start searching below and contact me direct. I will provide you with all necessary information to educate yourself with the purchase of your home.

http://lucindatkach.longrealty.com/

Regards, Lucinda
Harry, I have helped several of my Canadian clients buy homes this way. We worked together to get a really good understanding of what they wanted. I then previewed homes/condos and took pictures/videos of the things that were most important to them. Lately I've used Skype and/or Facetime to give clients a guided tour of the home as I was previewing. The new technologies that are out there now make buying a home site unseen much easier. Other other concern seems to be the taxes, not sure what they are in Rancho Mirage but I know Scottsdale takes are much lower than many other parts of the country.

Barbara Woyak
Keller Williams AZ Realty
602-329-6655
Barbara@BarbaraWoyak.com
Hi Harry,
My partner and I currently deal with investors from Israel, England, Canada and other states in the U.S. They have been buying from us for years without being here. We provide them a full detail on the home through pictures or videos plus a full market analysis on their return as a rental as well as comparable sales to make a educated decision on what price to offer. Scottsdale is a great place to live and very desirable. Investors are buying cheap properties all over the valley for rental purposes, but there is a need for rental homes in nicer areas. We have great restaurants and stores and there is always something to do. It's tough to make a decision between here and Rancho Mirage as that is quite nice as well. You definitely will get more for your money in AZ. I lived in Los Angeles for 24 years and I can live a much easier life here. I do miss CA in the summers as the heat can really get to you. But the rest of the year is beautiful so it's worth it.
Let me know if I can help you or if you have any questions. I would be happy to send you some listings to check out if you let me know what you are looking for in a home.
Lorrie Feld
Keller Williams Integrity First
480-570-1074
I grew up in southern CA but have lived in Scottsdale 14 years now. Scottsdale is one of the most sought after cities in AZ. Your communication and access to web is critical to a good sight unseen property. It is possible but you'll need guidance. View homes at http://www.DesertRidgeLifestyle.com.
I can help
Laura Myers
Keller Williams AZ Realty