Home Buying in Breckenridge>Question Details

Jeff, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Looking at Breckenridge CO as a possibility for my only home. Prices are ranging from $300 to nearly $800

Asked by Jeff, Atlanta, GA Thu Apr 24, 2008

per s.f. I'm single but looking to have enough room for friends/family to have a place to stay and enjoy the area on occasion. What is a better deal in your opinion, a single family unit or condo/duplex if you were spending $2M?

Answers

5
Hello Jeff -

Everything depends on the location. Do you want ski in/ski out? Do you want to be able to walk to main street? I live 1 mile north of town between Breck and Frisco. I'm completely remodeling my house and will be putting it up for sale this summer. I've got 6 bedrooms 4 1/2 baths about 2500SF and will be asking under a $1M. So it really depends where you want to be. If you are willing to live a few miles south of town in Blue River you would get even more for your dollar. For $2M you can always build your own dream house. Construction costs can vary greatly, but $300/sf construction costs will get you a top of the line home. Good Luck. Brian
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Thanks Brian for your great answers. I did look at 5 houses (the most I could hit in one day!) and of those, I don't even think I could see any neighbors or a house close enough. I'm leaning toward a single family east/south east of town right now on my list.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Hello Jeff -

The biggest difference between a Condo and SFU is going to be renters. When I say this keep in mind that a lot of condos are rental units. Do you want have some privacy when you are here in the winter months? Obviously during spring and fall it is quite quiet around here. That was my biggest concern when I bought. Do you want your neighbors who are on spring break partying it up next door at 2am? Also, condos have HOA dues, some SFU's do as well which can be expensive up to $500/mo on newer developments. I guess the next question to answer is how much privacy you would like.
To Marilyn: Why Breck? That's where I want to live. After several several visits, it's the one place I keep wanting to go back to. Nothing else in Colorado does it for me quite frankly. Winter Park/Fraser really isn't much of a place to live in my opinion, Breck has more to offer all year, actually a liveable town, not just a resort. Once skiing is done, what is there to do in WP? When you look at Vail/Aspen, Breck is a bargain by far. As far as investment, I'm not that worried, probably the last house I'll ever buy, it will be someone else's deed to dispose (or keep!) after I'm gone. Brian, the ski in/ski out is not a necessity and I do realize that adds a good chunk of excess to the cost of the house. Also walking to Main isn't a need and that too will add greatly to the cost. My only true wish is to have ski mountain views which really opens up the options. As far as the $2M, that was the OUTSIDE cost, not the target, so I'm open/aware of homes well under that which would meet my needs. I mainly was wondering if the money is better spent on a SFU or Condo. Thanks for your help!
Hi There! first of all WHY Breck? I am a investor, own several properties and have friends who do the same...all of us realtors. Those in summit county are not seeing the appreciation and are bearing the grunt of the overbuilt status in condos/townhomes. There are I am sure some beautiful homes in the range of $2M but quite frankly, if you are looking to get into an area with a lot more for your money, (investment potential and price per sq. ft) you should be looking in Winter Park! Much better values, closer proximity to some great places (Steamboat, Denver, Rky Mtn. National forest, etc. etc.). If you would like to chat I am happy to better clairify my concerns with summit county....Marilyn 970-470-2398