Home Buying in West Chester>Question Details

Arleen Pecone, Real Estate Pro in 19380

Local Agents....when you are searching properties for Buyers, do you start with price and school district or price and townships?

Asked by Arleen Pecone, 19380 Sat Nov 5, 2011

Having been in the business a long time, I find it important to evaluate what new agents are doing to determine which properties to show. I realize that reaching you is critical to getting the properties I am marketing sold.

Answers

8
Searches always should be be customer driven...ignoring their search requests is one of their major complaints.

Since it's long been known that when dealing with real estate it's all about "location, location, location......" From a service standpoint, agents should seek clarity necessary to provide the buyer with relative information.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Depends on the priorities of the buyer. What's most important to them?

Having said that, I typically start with: (1) Price, (2) Number of bedrooms and baths, and (3) General location.

I don't start with school district. The way school districts are drawn, and how they change from year to year, that's just asking for trouble. If someone is absolutely insistent on living in a particular school district, I'd do a search of houses as close to the school district boundaries as possible. But I'd point out to the buyers that school district boundaries change. Schools get closed. Magnet schools can distort the picture, as well. A whole lot can change. Besides--speaking from personal experience--I can tell you that some schools with an excellent reputation are lousy (for certain students) and others with apparent drawbacks (how about a secondary school with 4,000 kids?) can be an excellent choice.

As for townships (or our equivalent here): No, not unless that's a very high priority for the buyer. Example: There's a small town--Falls Church--in Northern Virginia. It's considered very desirable and the schools are highly rated. But the houses cost more than houses just a few blocks outside the town. And the schools outside the town are still excellent. If someone said, "I absolutely need a house in the town of Falls Church," then--sure--that's what I'd search for. But I'd probably do another search with the same parameters except I'd look maybe a mile outside the town itself.

Where I am--and I know it'll vary based on location--buyers usually are interested in price, home size (bedrooms and baths), distance from where they work (downtown D.C., Tyson's Corner, Rockville, Fair Lakes), access to public transportation (in some cases), and type of property (single-family home, townhouse).

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You should always search within your "approved" price range for homes that fall within the school districts and neighborhoods that you would like.

Berit Di Vito
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
You decide. Sometimes all of them are important, but if you don't have children, why restrict yourself to a specific area? I've seen people get great deals because they didn't have to worry about a school district. Many time, when they sell, the home may sell for less, but only time will tell.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Hi Arleen, I do price and township. I add a zip code if the town has multiple zip codes and I know my buyer wants a certain section. Are you from West Chester Iowa? or Pennsylvania? Your profile says Iowa, but you posted in PA!
Web Reference: http://kurfiss.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Hi Arlene

I do try to leave that up to the buyers and honor their requests. The problem becomes one of the buyers generally not knowing that some townships are in certain school districts that they may or may not prefer. So I usually prefer to search by school district, if that is important to a buyer, and then delete some listings in townships of those school districts that the buyer does not want due to location.

Ed Tedeschi
Long & Foster Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Hi Arleen!

I search by price and typically school district, depending on if they have narrowed down their search to a smaller or more specific area.

Hope you are doing well!

Mary Robins
610-220-7145
http://www.Marys-Homes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
I do price, requirements like size and how close they want to be from work, school, etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011