Jessica, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Living in front of the 134 freeway

Asked by Jessica, Los Angeles, CA Tue Sep 2, 2008

How is West Toluca Lake as a neighborhood? Is living next to the freeway awful? How does this affect home values? What about living next to a church?

Answers

3
Jessica
Thanks for your question. I would suggest a couple of thoughts:
First, your priorities and values change over time, so when one is younger, no kids, new job, then a priority might be easy freeway access. Once you have children, then safety, quality of schools, etc. come into play.

Second, there are people that live in those condos right by the 134. I have showed them to clients. You cannot really hear the freeway in most of them when you are inside. I remember when I first moved to LA and we lived in Mid Wilshire our thoughts were "This is great, close to all, we're only going to sleep here anyway".

Third, the time of day can make a big difference. Both the time that you are going to be home and what you will be doing when you are not working. For example, there are some people that don't mind the freeway because they say it sounds like a river...you know, white noise.

So the freeway affects home values if:
1. There was not freeway, now there is one, yes, values probably decline. Of course, it's like the rail line, when a new light rail goes in, values go UP because now people don't have to drive as far. Once a freeway is built, values in the area are not affected in most cases.

2. Living next to a church...depends on the area and the church. Some church's are really busy and create traffic, particularly on Sunday mornings. OTOH, if the church is small and lightly attended, it may not make any difference noise-wise. However, it might be a "safer" place to live because of the other types of structures around the church and who lives/works in them.

Hope this helps.

I do work in that area, if you need help give me a call 1-888-284-2056 or contact me via my Trulia Profile
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 2, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
West Toluca Lake is a great area. My suggestion to you is to think about how you feel about the freeway and being next to a church and whether or not you are hesitant to buy. Chances are potential buyers will go through those same questions.

One of the agents below suggested you go there at different times of the day - great idea!

All my best,
Dot Chance
12711 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604
818 339 7712
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
Toluca lake is a great place to live in.
Live by the fwy will decrease the value of the property and living next to a church will not affect the value what so ever.
Web Reference: http://homesinsale.com