Question Details

Linda Hastin…, Home Buyer in Wantagh, NY

Levittown School District has a bad reputation that it doesn't deserve. US News & World Report 's ranks MacArthur High School with a

Asked by Linda Hastings, Wantagh, NY Fri Aug 24, 2012

silver medal. How can we get it out there that MacArthur High School is one of the better quality schools? I am trying to sell my house and feedback is that my house, yard & neighborhood are great but they don't want it because of MacArthur. A couple of realtors said if my house was in the Wantagh High School area, it would have sold already but my school is better!!!

Answers

1
Hi Linda,

First, Realtors are not permitted by Federal law to discuss schools or school districts. This is a serious violation of the Fair Housing Act.

Second, the people giving you this feedback? Run, don't walk, in the opposite direction from such fools. If a Realtor cannot be honest with you about the REAL REASON your home isn't selling then you need to distance yourself from such silly people. Most often the reasons a home doesn't sell boils down to one or two points.

1. Priced incorrectly (in plain English that means "Too High for Market")
2. Seller refuses to negotiate with qualified and serious Buyers

I have been a Mortgage Banker in the New York area for 23 years; never sold real estate except my own house which I sold in 48 hours for full price. I did that by applying time-honored sales techniques and by ignoring foolishness such as the garbage you've heard from these realtors.

Set your price and prepare your home for sale. There's an old adage in real estate, "If it is listed correctly it will sell." The "listed correctly" refers both to price and to the proper detail in the listing (a Bedroom is a Bedroom; a closet is NOT a Bedroom, by example of a bad detail in a listing). You're selling your home into a Buyer's Market. Understand that an Offer, ANY Offer, is the beginning of a dialogue for negotiations. Even if a Buyer Offers you substantially less than you're asking, you must be prepared with a counter-offer so you don't lose a good Buyer and so you scare away the dilettantes. And when I say "counter-offer" I don't mean $5,000 off the list price; that's just childish and I see Sellers do it all the time to my clients. My clients take such childishness seriously and they vote with their feet: they walk away.

If a Buyer presents an Offer verbally, don't take it seriously. Only written Offers, prepared with careful detail about the terms of the transaction, the expected closing date, the Buyer's Attorney information, and accompanied by a Prequalification Letter from a Direct Lender, should you consider. Make that clear to your Realtor.

Be sure you're represented by an Attorney who specializes in real estate transactions in your neighborhood. I cannot possibly describe to you the frustration my clients experience when the Seller's Attorney hangs up the deal on ridiculous details because she's not versed in the local custom of contracts and closings.

One other word of advice: when a Buyer comes to look at your house---unless you're selling it FSBO---get out of the way. Buyers HATE when a Seller is lurking about while they're trying to honestly assess the home. Get out of the house and stand outside, even if it's 20 degrees out (wear a big, warm coat). Let the Realtors---the good ones who don't talk about such nonsense as "if your home was in this school district..."---do their job and help you and a Buyer negotiate fair terms for the sale of your home.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
185 Great Neck Rd, Suite 240
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528
Trevor. Thank you for your help. Linda
Flag Sun Aug 26, 2012