Ravi, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Lennar Verrado or Emory Brookfield - which is better ?, Windermere, San Ramon

Asked by Ravi, San Ramon, CA Mon Sep 13, 2010

is Verrado model (4/2) better with big open backyard - 11000 sq. ft. or a Emory model (5/4) with a medium backyard 4200sq. ft. ?

Answers

8
Hi Rajesh,

I know the 2 homes you're referring to that's on the market. I think it depends on personal preference. The lennar home is in a nicer condition and has more decorative upgrades. The Emory home has more bedrooms and bathrooms and is larger in size. It all depends on how many people you have in your family, how big of a yard you need and your preference with the floor plan. If you don't need the yard, then it's just more maintenance. There are plenty of parks nearby for that the kids can plan in.

Personally, I like the Lennar home better because of the lot size and it's in move in condition. From a builder's perspective, Brookfield tends to have better quality.

Overall, I would wait until next year. The inventory is growing in Windemere and the prices are coming down. We're likely to see more of that in the next couple months as more short sales and bank owned homes hit the market.
From the little that I have come to know about the different communities in Windemere, there are definitely some builders/floor plans that are preferable and some that are not (generally speaking). Of course if you have specific tastes and requirements, then you will be the best judge of which floor plan you like. You need to really like a home before you place the offer to buy it. The fact that you are asking for opinions on a blog indicates that you do not like both of these homes. So I would suggest do not bid on either.
Rajesh, the additional info you have provided sheds new light on your situation:

"Also, the one with smaller backyard has a bedroom downstairs and the one with larger backyard doesn't and the rooms are much smaller. "

If you have an elder family member that will be living with you a downstairs bedroom would be ideal so they do not have to traverse stairs. As far as the "bedroom size versus backyard size", this is again a personal choice based on what you have seen, an individual's needs as far as bedroom size is also personal.

"Another tough part is that I will have to rent it as I cannot move immediately since I currently rent in Cupertino and my children go to the best schools here and I will take 6-8 months to move to San Ramon."

With the current condition of the local economy, and the resulting state of the housing market, I would NOT buy now if you have a 6-8 month timeline for moving (a lot can happen in 6-8 mos time). Instead, I would suggest saving the cash you would have expended, avoiding the stress and hassle of finding/managing tenants, and using the next 6-8 months objectively studying where you definitively want to live.

Best, Steve
Dave - can you complete your response.

Also, the one with smaller backyard has a bedroom downstairs and the one with larger backryard doesn't and the rooms are much smaller.

Another tough part is that I will have to rent it as I cannot move immediately since I currently rent in Cupertino and my children go to the best schools here and I will take 6-8 months to move to San Ramon. Is it a right thing to buy a home now and take the headache of renting it out to cover the mortgage or wait until children school gets over next year i.e. don't rush now even if maybe good deal ?
Hi Rajesh, this is a personal choice. Some like larger yards because the neighbors are further away and there are more options for entertaining, while others like a smaller yard with less required maintenance. The real question is what do YOU like! Personally, I prefer the larger yard.

Best, Steve
As we are touring a home I suggest to my clients that they ask one question:
Much will depend on your wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.--unfortunately a decision only you can make--where would you be happiest living.