Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

jca, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

Leaving Hoboken looking for most cost effective towns/neighborhoods in Bergen County?

Asked by jca, Hoboken, NJ Sun Feb 17, 2013

I'm so extremely unfamiliar with NJ. We spent ALL day staring at maps&trying to figure out what towns to focus on based on taxes/budget. We R in our mid 30's and will be starting a family in the next 2yrs.I grew up in CT and enjoyed quaint towns that provided vibrant downtown (shops, cafes, restaurants.) We cannot move back to CT due to our jobs (both outside Medical device reps covering North NJ/Rockland/Westchester.) Husbands family is in Central NJ and mine are in CT so we are trying not to avoid moving too far west. We are so confused... do we look in Bergen?Rockland?Westchester? ANY guidance of areas to look at would be great. Keeping in mind, due to our jobs, we may need to move again in 3-5yrs. Thank you!!

Answers

12
Andrew Tisellano, Broker/Assoc’s answer
Hi Jessica

It would be a pleasure to meet you and your husband in my office for a free buyers consultation.
I live in Bergen county and go to Church in Montclair. I can help you in Bergen, Essex and Passaic counties.

There are quite a few homes available for under $500k.

I have a free buyers guide that I would like to send you that will help you find the right location.
Thanks for the good wishes jca!

It's good to keep your options open - I am glad you are
!
Towns like Montclair and Maplewood, for example, will give you the charm and warmth you're looking for....add in an updated kitchen, and I think you may find what you're looking for!

Just one word of advice from someoe who could be your mom (yes, I am old! haha) - don't just fall in love with a house you see online....while that's certainly important......you are also buying into a town and area...........make sure you get the whole picture before finalizing your decision.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
yes. thank you so very much. we were looking into montclair, w. orange, and livingston so we are NOT set on Bergen. i think it's a matter of learning where we can get the most for our money. we don't mind updating but don't want to rip out tiles, floors, cabinets in every room. as for style, we prefer something with charm. we love early 1900's homes that people have updated and taken care of. we don't need a ton of land but a little bit of yard would be nice. I come from the suburbs and now live in Hoboken so we'd like a mix of both! we may be in touch..just need to speak with the hubby. saw some properties on realtor.com in nutley and clifton that are 500K or under that look like they're worth viewing. to be continued...and good luck to your son Debbie. again, we may be in touch. ;)
Well I think, in regard to advice, we have gone as far as we can on this forum for now.... thank you for sharing the information you have - hope you have found the feedback useful!

If you're sure you only want to consider Bergen County, then please wait for a dedicated Bergen County agent (one who lives and works there) to come along (neither Brian nor I are), or look at Trulia's list from the drop down list (Find A Pro) on the green bar on top of this page.

You really need direction, as this is a big move, and someone who has expertise in that area is what you'll need.

Once you start gathering information - you will find out that the commute from the Essex County area, depending on the town, can be shorter than from some towns in Bergen - or even from Westchester!................so you might want to be open to other options. It's up to you.

As far as my area - the towns I mentioned below, just to name a few - your price range could buy you a 3/4 br/2.5 bth single family home - there are a number of towns we could discuss - all with an easy commute to the city.

If we talk - once I know your preference (and your husband's) for style (older colonial?... tudor?, split?.... ranch? contemporary feel or old world charm?) and what your tolerance is for doing updating.....or not!..........I would be able to narrow down the suggestions and fine tune the list with you.

Whatever your decision is - I wish you all the best!

Hope to hear from you, and enjoy this sunny day!

Debbie Rose
Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Thank you both. We prefer single family home and my fiancé commutes to nyc 2x/mo. II rented out my town home in fairfield county, CT( bought it in 2007 & refuse to take the hit by selling it), so I'm currently a homeowner. My fiancé has never bought.
That is helpful, thanks.

A more detailed consultation will help you navigate all of the options available. If you send me an email I can send you a list of questions that once answered will help us isolate a "short-list" of towns where you can focus your search efforts.

Brian Diehl
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-521-1061
Brian.Diehl@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Well, Bergen is not my area of expertise, so I will let a Bergen County agent answer that (and you should stick with an agent who really knows and works the area).

What I can tell you is - Essex County offers a number of possibilities for you.
Are you commuting into the city on a daily basis?
If not, where is your commute?

If it's NYC, , there is the MidTown Direct train (35-40 min) into Penn Stattion...or a number of bus routes (40-55 min) to Port Authority.

Towns such as Livingston, Montclair, Maplewood, Roseland, W. Orange and the list goes on could work in your price4 range.

Do you want a single family home or a townhome?
I have a number of townhomes in the 300-450,00 range..............so, you really will have options!!

Good news............You don't have to exceed 500,000 to find what you're looking for!
Sorry. We are trying not to exceed 500,000. Is that even possible in Bergen??
jca - My heart goes out to you - I know how overwhelming a move like this can be!

Let's try to make it easier for you..........

Bergen Countyr can work - so can Essex County. There are a lot of young 30 something couples moving into this area all the time.....many form the city, and a LOT from Hoboken, as it is an easy commute to the city from here.

My own son and daughter-in-law will be moving in the next year (same age range as you), and I will be helping them make the transition to the suburbs, too!

I don't know your price range, so that will be an important part of the puzzle. Once I do know what your comfort zone is, I will be better able to make some (hopefully) useful suggestions.

Feel free to email me so we can get started!
I also have a number of links you might find useful on my website - take a look!

All the best!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com

http://www.DebbieRoseSells.com
Thank u for the replies. I should've added that we need a minimum of 3bdrms & 2 baths. Preferably a Minimum of 1600sq ft.
call or email me anytime...text, too!
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013
It would be hard to make any specific suggestions without knowing some more about you and what type of things would be most important to you in choosing an area in Bergen County. Some Bergen County towns are very homogenous in type of housing available and pricing while others offer more variety.

Knowing your price range would be helpful too in determining what towns would be a good fit for you. Obviously you'd want a town that has very stable or rising property values since you might move soon too.

Bergen County as a whole offers incredible variety. Initially it seems like a northern Bergen County town would suit you well in that it keeps you close to Rockland and Westchester counties. And is not too far from your family in central Jersey or Connecticut.

If you'd like to share more information with me I'll be glad listen and to help you find a place you feel comfortable calling home.

Call, text, or email me anytime.

Brian Diehl
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-521-1061
Brian.Diehl@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Hi, I have a nice single fam in North Bergen that you might be interested in. Please call me to discuss it further.
Jay Garcia
201-888-5328